Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake discs and pads

Views : 2462

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2023, 17:33   #1
TeamG
Master Member

Default Brake discs and pads

Was just swapping my wheels front/rear and decided it’s time to replace all discs and pads, so just shopping around for a reasonable deal. Autodoc is coming in at £251 for a full set of Brembo front and rear, which seems to be the best deal I can get currently. Cheapest full set of Volvo genuine parts is coming in at £490.

Any thoughts on alternative manufacturers and places to buy?

I’ll be doing the rears using my 9v battery method and using ProSlip pin/clip/pad lube. If anyone is interested and fancies giving it a go, I’d be happy to document and post the process and photos?

And for the tyre wear geeks out there. Michelin Crossclimate SUVs with 23000 miles on them. Fronts had worn down to 5mm, rears to 7mm!
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 18:12   #2
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Have you seen this post?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ht=BRAKE+DISCS

Might be worth enquiring?
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 19:37   #3
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
Was just swapping my wheels front/rear and decided it’s time to replace all discs and pads, so just shopping around for a reasonable deal. Autodoc is coming in at £251 for a full set of Brembo front and rear, which seems to be the best deal I can get currently. Cheapest full set of Volvo genuine parts is coming in at £490.

Any thoughts on alternative manufacturers and places to buy?

I’ll be doing the rears using my 9v battery method and using ProSlip pin/clip/pad lube. If anyone is interested and fancies giving it a go, I’d be happy to document and post the process and photos?

And for the tyre wear geeks out there. Michelin Crossclimate SUVs with 23000 miles on them. Fronts had worn down to 5mm, rears to 7mm!
Thanks, I'd love to know the process with photos so please do document it.

Thanks again,

Martyn
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Squire For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 08:53   #4
TeamG
Master Member

My first task was to confirm the right parts. I used the Brembo website, which showed a single option for rear disc 09.B026.11 and two pad options (one standard, one updated), so went for the standard P86 021. For front, there are two disc options, a 328mm and 324mm diameter. The photo attached shows where on my front caliper the size is stamped, right at the very top. For me, 324mm which is 09.C522.11. Front pads showed two options, for me the P86 026 corresponded with my VIN number and year.

A quick log onto AutoDoc this morning showed additional discount for “Cyber Monday” and I therefore paid £211.60, splashing out extravagantly £3.95 on the Safe Order no-quibble free return (just in case).

I did get a price from Mon Volvo in Cardiff - £1,170.60 fitted or £774.60 parts only. That’s a whopping £396 labour for what must only be a 1-1.5hr job if you have a workshop/ramp etc. It’ll only take me around 2hrs on my drive with a trolley jack and axle stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0751.jpg (98.7 KB, 38 views)
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 23:27   #5
Darthstinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
My first task was to confirm the right parts. I used the Brembo website, which showed a single option for rear disc 09.B026.11 and two pad options (one standard, one updated), so went for the standard P86 021. For front, there are two disc options, a 328mm and 324mm diameter. The photo attached shows where on my front caliper the size is stamped, right at the very top. For me, 324mm which is 09.C522.11. Front pads showed two options, for me the P86 026 corresponded with my VIN number and year.

A quick log onto AutoDoc this morning showed additional discount for “Cyber Monday” and I therefore paid £211.60, splashing out extravagantly £3.95 on the Safe Order no-quibble free return (just in case).

I did get a price from Mon Volvo in Cardiff - £1,170.60 fitted or £774.60 parts only. That’s a whopping £396 labour for what must only be a 1-1.5hr job if you have a workshop/ramp etc. It’ll only take me around 2hrs on my drive with a trolley jack and axle stand.

Check the fitting closely as the 1st set of front pads I picked up from AutoDoc were listed as compatible for my v60 but didn’t fit (depth was out). AutoDoc DO list the dimensions for each part which helps…

PS if you use the AutoDoc app and ‘check in’ daily you get 10p each day you check in which can be used to off set your purchase (not all at once but hey its free cash none the less - I’ve been doing it for 6 months and upto £27 of credit)

PPS - Replace the disk retaining nut (torx jobbie), about £3 each from AutoDoc if you can…previous owner reused mine and it stripped causing me to drill it out - which was a pain…

DS
Darthstinky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darthstinky For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 23:32   #6
Darthstinky

Oh and EBC I found a good alternative to brembos on my previous fiat coupe and skylines..

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/?gad_sou...BoCN9wQAvD_BwE

Go for the fast road pads, DO NOT use the track pads on the road…they take too long to heat up in normal road conditions…

DS
Darthstinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 13:07   #7
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthstinky View Post
Check the fitting closely as the 1st set of front pads I picked up from AutoDoc were listed as compatible for my v60 but didn’t fit (depth was out). AutoDoc DO list the dimensions for each part which helps…

PS if you use the AutoDoc app and ‘check in’ daily you get 10p each day you check in which can be used to off set your purchase (not all at once but hey its free cash none the less - I’ve been doing it for 6 months and upto £27 of credit)

PPS - Replace the disk retaining nut (torx jobbie), about £3 each from AutoDoc if you can…previous owner reused mine and it stripped causing me to drill it out - which was a pain…

DS
I’ve used the Brembo website to confirm part numbers and compatibility with the OE parts, so hopefully fine. Good call on the set screws to retain the brake discs, I’ll give a good soaking in WD40 and use the hammer-tap method to break them loose. As they’re only 35Nm, if they come out tidy they’ll be fine to go back in.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 22:28   #8
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthstinky View Post

DS
Really, that single disc to hub retaining bolt (not nut) is superfluous. Used on the production line to ensure the disc is still in place when the calipers and pads are fitted. In use, the wheel keeps the hub firmly against the disc. 5 x M14 bolts at a rather large torque, compared to what, an M8 bolt ? ! No need to use a special bolt at all.

Last edited by GrahamHR; Nov 28th, 2023 at 22:32.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 08:44   #9
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Really, that single disc to hub retaining bolt (not nut) is superfluous. Used on the production line to ensure the disc is still in place when the calipers and pads are fitted. In use, the wheel keeps the hub firmly against the disc. 5 x M14 bolts at a rather large torque, compared to what, an M8 bolt ? ! No need to use a special bolt at all.
The main benefits are stopping the disc moving forwards when changing a wheel, allowing crud to drop into the nicely cleaned and wire brushed surfaces behind, together with keeping the bolt holes lined up with the holes in the hub. They are low torque, so very unlikely to strip when tightening. The main issue is them being corroded in, made worse by so many heating/cooling cycles. A quick tap with a hammer usually helps, or reversing direction and quick blasts on an impact gun.

If they do snap on removal, you can still get the new disc over them to allow time to find a replacement on ebay. Stud remover for the old one when ready.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 22:39   #10
GrahamHR

True, I still have them fitted to my cars, Astonishing that they were never coated with any type of anti-corrosion/ lubricant compound etc , It's not like they were torqued up. Probably overtightened since new.

I put a little colloidal nickel on the threads of those small M6/ M8 bolts.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote