Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Auto - Jerky/kangaroo behaviour at low speeds

Views : 3922

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 15:50   #51
Simeon90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Glad to read you got it sorted, Simeon90!

Here's a few pics of the damage to my fresh air in pipe where it meets the rocker/cam cover breather. See repair with my old friend Arldite and cable ties for good measure.

My hesitation appears to be completely gone but, as I cleaned the EGR cooler and EGR, the two together may have been contributing to the hesitation.
Glad you got yours sorted too, I suspect I might be having a go at my EGR at some point too ! You've done a good job cleaning that up.
Simeon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 17:04   #52
Stu B
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeon90 View Post
Now that's interesting, I definitely didn't think it was an 8spd, mostly because it just doesn't change gears enough to have that many There's not a lot of info out there from my Googling, but I read that all facelift FWD diesel's got the 8spd? Is there any gearbox identifier on the car?
If you put the car into manual shifting mode it should show the current gear on the dash if it works like the 6 speed. Presumably at a high enough road speed you’d be able to manually shift to 7th or 8th gear then?

Note I’ve not driven one of these with an 8 speed though so could be wrong.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 19:42   #53
Simeon90

It has an 8 spd 'box .. but disappointingly the issue is not resolved after two relatively short drives where all seemed well, it is now back as badly as before. Have serious regret for buying this POS now

Plugged into Camscanner, no fault codes logged (prior to going to the garage it was showing the same two they pulled using VidaDice).

Might just dump it with local dealership along with my credit card as I've had enough of it
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 20:17   #54
Baffler
Premier Member

Sorry to hear that it's still misbehaving, Simeon90, it's rather deflating when you think you've got it sorted only for it to crop up again.

Just curious to know if you have cleaned the EMAP pipe and its sensor plus the inlet manifold pressure sensor? My synopsis on these automatics is if the ECU and TCU are not singing off the same hymn sheet then you experience what you have been witnessing.

Perhaps take one last punt, return it to the garage who carried out the recent work, and instruct them to address the above?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 09:19   #55
Simeon90

Thanks for the reply Baffler, yes EMAP seems to be tha last affordable thing to look at. I will speak to them tomorrow to see if they want to look at the car again.

If it is an EGR issue would I be seeing EML or fault codes, or do these cause issues with no warnings? The car has a FVSH, last 6 years with Riverside Volvo of which there is one in Leeds, so I'm hopeful if there is an EGR problem I may get some Volvo contribution. Not sure if they are still offering that though.

Final thought would be that the fuel level has got low, 60 miles remaining, and fault seemed to be cured initially so wondering if it gets worse as fuel drops. I would have thought fuel related issues would cause problems at higher rpm however, and if you rag it a bit it behaves perfectly. I've checked the service history and it has the fuel filter marked as replaced every 2 years.

Easy to check mind, I'll fill it up today/tomorrow and see if it improves.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 13:52   #56
Simeon90

Adding fuel made no difference as expected. Booked it back in with the same garage, they've said that the issue will be the EGR, but have to pay for another diagnostic then they will quote for replacement.

I presume if the valve is being changed then the Cooler will as well, or are they two separate jobs?

I'm wondering if I should take it to Volvo dealership instead as I might get some goodwill contribution .. any opinions on this? It's a 65 plate on 81,000 miles with full dealer history.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 14:19   #57
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeon90 View Post
Adding fuel made no difference as expected. Booked it back in with the same garage, they've said that the issue will be the EGR, but have to pay for another diagnostic then they will quote for replacement.

I presume if the valve is being changed then the Cooler will as well, or are they two separate jobs?

I'm wondering if I should take it to Volvo dealership instead as I might get some goodwill contribution .. any opinions on this? It's a 65 plate on 81,000 miles with full dealer history.
You may, but its not guaranteed. I think Volvo are winding down on the contribution side of things on these older models/ones that are out of warranty. I've heard plenty of stories where Volvo wouldn't give a penny. Saying that though, there could be other reasons behind that... we all know stories aren't always exactly true. Although, they could be true in the same breath!

Worth a shot though, particularly as your car has full dealership history. Make sure you're fully aware of what they're willing to contribute (if anything). It'll still be an expensive repair though from your part. Dealerships are £130 an hour in labour nowadays easily.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 14:56   #58
Simeon90

Thanks for the thoughts Kev, as I'm not the original owner I don't think I'll have a lot of sway in asking for contributions, but diagnostic is not much more than at independent, so I'll give it a shot and see what they say. Once I know for definite what issue is I can shop around for quotes if necessary.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 15:24   #59
Baffler
Premier Member

From what I can make out it's very much dealer dependent and how much pressure they are willing to place on Volvo on your behalf. You also have to present a car with a logged fault in order for them to entertain the diagnostics in the first place. I'm sure you've seen - D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

I had the fault flash up intermittently on the dash and log the error hence why I cleaned the EGR and cooler as soon as I could. The EGR wasn't too bad but the cooler was starting to fill up, as you've seen previously, and triggered the low flow error. If yours hasn't logged a fault I would leave the EGR and cooler for now and check/clean the EMAP pipe and sensor and the inlet manifold pressure sensor.

Unfortunately, Simeon90, the answer to the problem on early VEA engines is new and revised pistons and rings. Cleaning and replacing pipes and sensors etc. is just a temporary measure as the carbon deposits will keep coming until such time as the engine oil is retained within the crankcase.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 16:34   #60
Simeon90

Woah, how have we got to new pistons and rings ?? This is a MY16 car too, so not an early one.

I'll speak to Volvo about it, but also looking into getting it deleted.