Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

advice please, regarding different models

Views : 575

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2007, 11:55   #1
ukfirebird

Default advice please, regarding different models

i have been looking into buying a volvo for about a month now, i need an estate car, i dont want anything bigger than a 2.5ltr. ive looked into BMW's but ive always wanted a volvo i think it's the boxy shape that has always appealed. but im a bit flumxed as to which model is considered the better, and i was hoping for a little help.
first off im not looking to pay more than £850 and i know that i can get a well cared for car for that price but id like to get the best bang for my buck.

the 850 model is very appealing as i have always loved how they look but ive read and been told that they are troublesome electricly and are not as reliable as the 200, 700 and 900 series. is this correct?

what are the differences between the 2's, 7's and 9's ?, because looking at them they seem very similar indeed inside and out so is it just cosmetics,
is the build quality the same across the the different models?.
mechanicly, are the engine, gearboxes different with each model range, are the manual gearboxes more reliable than an automatic
and lastly what sort milage do you get from a clutch.

any advice would be very much appreiciated.

many thanks in advance

steve
ukfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:39   #2
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfirebird View Post
i have been looking into buying a volvo for about a month now, i need an estate car, i dont want anything bigger than a 2.5ltr. ive looked into BMW's but ive always wanted a volvo i think it's the boxy shape that has always appealed. but im a bit flumxed as to which model is considered the better, and i was hoping for a little help.
first off im not looking to pay more than £850 and i know that i can get a well cared for car for that price but id like to get the best bang for my buck.

the 850 model is very appealing as i have always loved how they look but ive read and been told that they are troublesome electricly and are not as reliable as the 200, 700 and 900 series. is this correct?

what are the differences between the 2's, 7's and 9's ?, because looking at them they seem very similar indeed inside and out so is it just cosmetics,
is the build quality the same across the the different models?.

I suppose you could say that the 200/700/900 series are a natural progression of a theme, big, bit boxy, relatively simple. Probably the ride quality got progressively better as the model number went up!.

mechanicly, are the engine, gearboxes different with each model range, are the manual gearboxes more reliable than an automatic

There are a range of gearboxes, starting with the 4 speed manual, then the 4 speed + electric overdrive (which I actually likes, but some don't) and the 5 speed manual. All seem to be tough, although there are some who say the early 5 speeders were not as good as the later ones.
The 4 cylinder engines are a variation on a theme, all will do 200,ooo plus with routine maintanance [CHANGE THE OIL!!] all have their little foibles, and I'd recommend that you go for the 2.3 if you're looking at an estate, it does have just that little bit more grunt for the weight. Lots if information on here re the engines. Change the cambelt if you don't know when it was last done (OK DIY job, and a new genuine Volvo belt is under a tenner!)

and lastly what sort milage do you get from a clutch.
I've just sold my 240 GLT, and as far as I know its on the original clutch at 155,000. I had the clutch changed on my old 240 estate when I had it (15 years ago now, just because I had to have the gearbox out because the rear main oil seal was weeping (long saga, breather system blocked, and I dodn't know about it then!), but the mechanic who did it said the old one would have gone on for thousands of miles really, practically as new, that was with 130,000 on the clock.

any advice would be very much appreiciated.

As a matter of interest, my local Volvo indi has a 740 for sale, in red, nice looking, for £995, so your £850 should get you a really decent car... shop around!
many thanks in advance

steve
Hope the above helps a bit
Old May 12th, 2007, 18:10   #3
m0bzy
Master Member

Don't be put off the 850,I have both a 850 GLT 2.5 20 valve and a 3Liter 24 valve 960,although the 960 is a year younger than the 850 it still has features harking back to the 740. 940 2.3's are becoming as rare as hens teeth,at least the good ones,but there are still a lot of low mileage 850's around,every Volvo I have owned has had some sort of electrical quirk,but worry not there is usualy someone on here to point you in the right direction.I would not be without my 850,but then again it has only done less than 60'000 miles,still no rattles and the engine sings nicer than Charlotte Church.
Mike
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 18:41   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

900's are the last of the big boxy Volvo estates which have RWD..
850 is a FWD car..

900's were the successor to the 700's and were, as such, a little less "boxy"
Can get some decent ones out there - look on autotrader. Like:
Linky....

700's were available will e cheaper than the 900's.

If this sort of car is what you're looking for, then look to the 2.3 engines, they pull better as the car is pretty heavy.
Most 2.3's are turbo assisted and most of them low pressure.

Milage on these cars is not an issue, in fact, a low mileage is more something to look to avoid as the wear may be greater on them!! Strange but true..

Decide on the type of set up you would consider appropriate for you and then go looking for one..
Consider the options like electric windows, sun roof, air con, roof rails etc..
Look also for a good service record. The engines are pretty much bullet proof, but better to have had a good looking after..
May take you a month or so to find the "right one" but you will....

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 19:11   #5
caveman
Premier Member

having previously owned a 745 gle 2.3, and now an owner of an 855 2.5 glt, i really do think the 745 is a better built car, it feels more solid when driving it. the 940/960 is an updated 740/760 and i would love to see what theyre like to drive!
the 855 i have, is, a 2.5 10v, the handling is much much better but the build quality just doesnt seem as good! the 855 is faster than the 2.3 as well but its a much different engine.
if the 940/60 really does handle better than the 740/60, as its supposed to, i would take a look at those, especially the 2.3 hpt!
regards
cavey
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:03   #6
m0bzy
Master Member

Thumbs down

In my previos post I may seem to have "dissed" the 900 series,far from it,I love 'em,but finding one that had not been missused is not easy,before buying my 960 I searched high and low for a nice,not pristine,2.3 turbo.After viewing many wrecks and some with the interior more knocked about than a builders truck,I found one on the south coast.As I hadn't the time to collect it,it was to be brought up for me,it was nicked together with the transporter,transporter found but no 940.
Mike
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote