Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fusebox

Views : 1013

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2019, 13:16   #1
SolarWind
SolarWind

Angry Fusebox

I need to replace the fuse box or replace the fuse holders as the power to the fuel pump is only 9 volts when it should be 12 volts and many intermittent problems like clock stopping / Emergency Flashers as well as other electric problems this is for a 1991 VOLVO 240 can anybody help…

Last edited by SolarWind; May 7th, 2019 at 13:26.
SolarWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 13:24   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
I need to replace the fuse box or replace the fuse holders as the power to the fuel pump is only 9 volts when it should be 12 volts and many intermittent problems like clock stopping / Emergency Flashers as well as other electric problems can anybody help…
I have had a brand new one in a drawer since 1989 , and sold it only last month ! Have you tried the volvo dealer ? Their Classic spares warehouse in Sweden should have them .
Old May 7th, 2019, 13:28   #3
SolarWind
SolarWind

Default Fusebox

Yes have tried local dealers for over a month now no joy
SolarWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 13:40   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
Yes have tried local dealers for over a month now no joy
did they try classic warehouse or just say No it's no we haven't got one ?

Try a dealer who knows what they are doing and will genuinely try to help , 01873 850259 parts manager Neil ....

Or you could fit this more substantial fuse box using Blade type Fuses, it should fit behind the panel ok ...... note that several fuses are linked together on the feed side , looking at the old one will explain what to do .

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...box-side-entry
Old May 7th, 2019, 14:43   #5
kev240
Master Member

I have the blade type fuse box fitted in my 1989 240DL, easier to use and more substantial than the conventional ceramic type, and saves cleaning the ends of the fuses/holders, appears to be more power from it as well, maybe just my imagination !
Cheers,
Kevin.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 22:31   #6
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Kev! You might be my hero - and many others besides!

Where did you get your blade fusebox from and is it a straight fit into the space that the Volvo one fitted? Is it Volvo OEM?

All the retrofits that I have looked at are essentially too big - the original Volvo one is quite a good use of space

Waiting with bated breath...
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 21:51   #7
Zlornick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Or you could fit this more substantial fuse box using Blade type Fuses, it should fit behind the panel ok ...... note that several fuses are linked together on the feed side , looking at the old one will explain what to do .

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...box-side-entry

Curious, how difficult is it to install one of these?

Coming from 940s, the fuses and relays in my '90 240 is the most annoying and problematic difference. Looking at that fuse panel makes me think I'm in the basement of some dilapidated house looking a a rickety blown out fuse box. Amazing they were still working with these in the 90s.
Zlornick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zlornick For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 22:11   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlornick View Post
Curious, how difficult is it to install one of these?

Coming from 940s, the fuses and relays in my '90 240 is the most annoying and problematic difference. Looking at that fuse panel makes me think I'm in the basement of some dilapidated house looking a a rickety blown out fuse box. Amazing they were still working with these in the 90s.
It will be easy to people familiar with car electrics with the right connectors and crimping tools , But difficult to impossible without those skills . will the fuse box i showed above fit in the available space after taking out the original box ?
Old May 12th, 2019, 22:38   #9
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

SolarWind

I am having problems with slot 4 & 6 on my 1991 - that's because these are in use all the time that the car is running. Any corrosion/dirt/poor contact on your fuseboard will act as a resistance and so reduce the voltage. Here is some advice that might help you out short term:

1 keep all of the contacts clean on the brass and on the fuses
2 plastic fuses are no good - they shrink. You need to use ceramic fuses
3 there is blurb on this forum for a source of brass fuses - reducing the electrolytic corrosion that you get from aluminium/brass contact
4 if needs be bend the contacts to get better pressure on the fuses - not too much, you will snap the brass
5 try Lakes for spare s/h fuseboxes (01480 212291)

I am either going to replace fully my fusebox, or replace fuses 4 & 6 with in line MCBs using flying leads/holders. If I do, I will post on here about it

Good luck. Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 00:50   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is not a direct plug in fuse box but its not overly hard to wire one in. Blade fuses are better
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote