Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 owner. It's about time I said hello.

Views : 1412

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2020, 13:30   #1
V40hopefully

Default V40 owner. It's about time I said hello.

Hello all,

After months of lurking and using the endless knowledge amongst this forum, it is time I said hi and showed my Volvo V40. I've had the car since July and so far it has been great, I've taken care of the mechanical niggles and sorted some of the aesthetic problems.

So far it's had a service - oil and filter change, rear worn pads and discs changed, air and cabin filters changed.
While carrying out the work above I found a couple of other problems (as you do!) so sorted those - rear spring snapped, replaced this and rebuilt strut with a new shock. Rear brake caliper had a cracked seal, so changed that and it appears the other side had been done fairly recently. A new steering rod gaiter, as one was hanging on by the skin of its teeth.
Alignment sorted, this fixed a speed related vibration and the wheel now points in the right direction.

Cosmetically, I have changed a cracked front indicator, fitted a missing roof rail end cap (this was hard to find!), new wiper blades for the headlights and fitted wind deflectors. It's also had a lot of cleaning as the previous owner had a Labrador which left its mark on the cream interior.

To do - On a recent journey I picked up a stone chip on the driver's side headlamp this has allowed moisture in and will need changing I think before a January MOT. Any advice on this would be gratefully received.
Tyres - currently has 4 different brands of ditch finders fitted, I'll live with these until they are worn, but would like a good matching set.
Driver's seat belt is frayed and currently patched with duct tape, I have a replacement and the guide on what to do so this will happen over Christmas, most likely.
Reverse light switch replacement. The lights come and go, but are mostly not working. I've read the switch is the usual culprit. yes, I have checked the bulbs. Important for the MOT.
Dash bulbs are out in places, again I've seen the guides and I just need to get the new wedge bulbs.

To maybe do... I have a classic case of the VVT rattle. Probably what I've read most about on the forum, there are lot's of opinions and fellow sufferers on the site! I still get 40 mpg on a long drive and it doesn't seem to affect the car but the noise annoys me in traffic.

Cheers, Sam. I'll be back for more advice I am sure.

V40hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 21:07   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'd change the seat belt as a matter of priority.Is that a hole in the headlamp or just a clearer bit around a crack/chip? If it's just a crack/chip then you might be able to get a clear patch[if they're still available]which is like a clear sticky backed plastic plaster which if it doesn't alter the beam pattern would do the job at least temporarily.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 21:18   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Welcome to the forum. The V40 does look at its best in Sport Lux mode and your has the added benefit of the Winter Pack.

The headlamp lenses are available separately and unclip from the lamp body. The bumper needs loosening and pulling forward to be able to remove the headlamp. Some folks have bent the bumper out of the way, but I prefer to do the job properly rather than risk damage to the paint/trim. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201104_141510 (1).jpg (223.1 KB, 8 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 01:05   #4
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Fellow V40 Sport owner here. Yours looks absolutely wonderful!
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 07:40   #5
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi mate and welcome, good looking car.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 10:03   #6
P156KWJ

Welcome first of all, always nice to see new faces.

Don't worry about the reverse lights for the MOT as they are not a testable item on our cars' age. I did the switch on mine not long ago, on a car with the M56 gearbox and it was reasonably easy.
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 11:12   #7
V40hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'd change the seat belt as a matter of priority.Is that a hole in the headlamp or just a clearer bit around a crack/chip? If it's just a crack/chip then you might be able to get a clear patch[if they're still available]which is like a clear sticky backed plastic plaster which if it doesn't alter the beam pattern would do the job at least temporarily.
Hi,

It's only a small crack in the lens, the condensation is just avoiding that spot in the photo. I have the xenon headlights, is the lens universal?

Thanks
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 17:26   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Are you sure the lights are Bi-xenon as they look bog standard in the photo. The lens is standard for the twin lamps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201202_145939.jpg (135.8 KB, 12 views)
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 10:26   #9
V40hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Are you sure the lights are Bi-xenon as they look bog standard in the photo. The lens is standard for the twin lamps.
Thank you, I'll have a search on ebay. You made me doubt myself, but they are Xenon! Photo of my ballast below.

Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 11:17   #10
ITSv40
VOC Member

The mist on the lens made it fuzzy. 😀

Try partsforvolvosonline as they sell the lenses complete with new seals and clips.