Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Engine Block Dimensions + Technical Details

Views : 3028

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 13:44   #1
Sharky

Default T5 Engine Block Dimensions + Technical Details

Hello all, im after as much information as possible on the old and new T5 engines as im researching using one for a hill climb car im planning to build in the following months. What appeals to me about the T5 engine is the good torque figers throughout the range, which is important on hill climb stages and the great power band it has.

Im after as much information and technical notes (Links or documents) as possible. Also pictures would be great.

And last but no least the dimensions and length of the drive shafts used.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Paul.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 19:27   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: T5 Engine Block Dimensions + Technical Details

Hi Paul,

Good engine choice! Dont forget the engine is also light being all aluminum and durable as it has fixed steel liners.
The weak point is the conrods which could do with being upgraded if you want more than about 350 bhp. The standard turbo works well up to 5k rpm when it runs out of puff. A bigger turbo will fix this. The manual gearboxes should you choose to use one are bullit proof to about 500 bhp.
I dont think there are any documents detailing dimensions. There maybe some one near you who would let you measure the relevant parts on their car though.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:03   #3
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

the engine is about 27 inches long - i know since it fits in my locost 7 !!

Is this a rear wheel drive conversion or FWD?

the engine is no lighter than a 4cyl redblock , but fits in the exact same place .

there are some differences in castings between turbo and NA (oil squirters) , and the heads are slightly different .

If you want to email me the dimensions you want - i can take some for you .

david.slater133@ntlworld.com
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 21:21   #4
Sharky

Im looking into the possibility of putting the T5 engine into a Peugeot 306, ive got a lot of experience with the pugs and im thinking this model fits the bill perfectly for not being too big or small but enough room for work. Most of you may be familiar with the T16 engine, not the Group B era 1.8 16 Turbo'd one but the variant of Peugeot S16 (2L 16V) engine which has a slightly modified head and turbo set up. These engines are rare and can cost a lot to maintain. So I thought why not have a go at something else.

It project outline is a FWD road legal hill climb car (Hobby more than professional level, but who knows)

I just want to know if my idea is a pot shot or has some viability.

Cheers,
Rob.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 22:10   #5
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

which way round do they breathe , inlet manifold is on the front of the engine , turbo sits at the back , and can be a pain .

have you thought about a T4 motor - which is essentially the same with a cylinder lopped off .

im sure you could make the 5cyl fit , but they do sit tightish against the inner wheelarch , they also lie backwards like the pug motors do.
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 07:28   #6
Prostreetpop

Default Engine size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebslater(uk) View Post
the engine is about 27 inches long - i know since it fits in my locost 7 !!

Is this a rear wheel drive conversion or FWD?

the engine is no lighter than a 4cyl redblock , but fits in the exact same place .

there are some differences in castings between turbo and NA (oil squirters) , and the heads are slightly different .

If you want to email me the dimensions you want - i can take some for you

david.slater133@ntlworld.com

Hi. I know this post is old but do you know the height of a B5234T5 from sump to the top as if it was sitting on the floor.
Thanks.
Mark.
Prostreetpop is offline   Reply With Quote