Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie Buying Questions Thread

Views : 1467

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2010, 13:43   #1
Superbenj

Default Newbie Buying Questions Thread

Hi

Im new here, so don't bite! I've been driven about in a variety of Volvos since I was a boy and finally think that I've made the decision to buy my first, an XC60, after somehow convincing Mrs Superbenj that it would be a good idea to spend 30k+ on an XC60, even though we haven't even got any kids as yet.

I've been through the forum over the last couple of days and its been very helpful in deciding what to get, I still have a few questions though that I have not found answered and in lieu of a general newbie thread thought I'd ask them all here in one go. Apologies if the info is easily available elsewhere, I have found some contradictory info though and am not entirely clear as to what is available with each option.

Please be patient as I have quite a few! I suspect some answers will be subjective but it would be good to get an idea as to how some options are viewed.

What are the likely lead times at the mo, if I placed an order tomorrow when would I likely receive the car?

On the SE premium does the stereo come as standard with DAB or do you sitll have to pay the £250 option cost?

Does the premium come with Satnav, I have seen some sites that say it does and others that say it does not?

BLIS- Is this worth getting or is it a bit of a gimmick? Im completely drawn on whether it will be $400 odd well spent or a complete waste of cash!

Volvo on call- Do many of you have this, it looks like a good idea (and I like the look of the buttons!) Are there any ongoing costs, or do you only have to pay for the option?

Servicing- How much is an average service, I suspect it varies loads dependent on region but what am I likely going to have to spend per year during the warranty period?

Family pack rear seats- Does anyone know if they are less comfy than the non adjustable seats?

I've seen some '60s with Running boards, different fronts etc are you able to chose these as options or are they only available on certain models R-Design etc?

Rear Camera- Is this worthwhile or just a gimmick?

Ashtrays- I do not plan to smoke (or let anyone else smoke) in the car, is it a good idea to get the ashtrays/ powerpoints anyway though, or are they aesthetically unpleasing?

Wheels- Are the 18 inch an option with the Premium? Which wheels are seen as the best re- ride etc?

Tom Tom- I have a Tom Tom one, does any know if the wire will easily travel from the the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen to the cigar lighter with ease?

Test Drives- I requested a test drive off the website yesterday and Volvo smoke to me today and stated that they'd get my local dealership to give me a bell, I was hoping to test drive this w/e, in your experience did the dealer (I suspect it will be dealer specific) get back to you quickly, or should I just give them a bell myself?

Thanks, Im sure I'll have some more questions but I promise to research as much as I can first.
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 14:23   #2
scw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbenj View Post
Hi

Im new here, so don't bite! I've been driven about in a variety of Volvos since I was a boy and finally think that I've made the decision to buy my first, an XC60, after somehow convincing Mrs Superbenj that it would be a good idea to spend 30k+ on an XC60, even though we haven't even got any kids as yet.
Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions based on my own recent experience buying an XC60...

Quote:
What are the likely lead times at the mo, if I placed an order tomorrow when would I likely receive the car?
Mine was 9 weeks to the day. But factor in christmas/new year holidays and you could be adding one or two additional weeks.

Quote:
On the SE premium does the stereo come as standard with DAB or do you sitll have to pay the £250 option cost?
DAB is standard for all Premium spec trims.

Quote:
Does the premium come with Satnav, I have seen some sites that say it does and others that say it does not?
Yes, it does. It also bumps the screen size from 5" to 7".

Quote:
BLIS- Is this worth getting or is it a bit of a gimmick? Im completely drawn on whether it will be $400 odd well spent or a complete waste of cash!
I ordered BLIS to appease She Who Must Be Obeyed, who thought the rear privacy glass would reduce visibility over her right shoulder. I think it was the right choice though I've not yet done many motorway/dual carraigeway miles.

Quote:
Volvo on call- Do many of you have this, it looks like a good idea (and I like the look of the buttons!) Are there any ongoing costs, or do you only have to pay for the option?
No idea.

Quote:
Servicing- How much is an average service, I suspect it varies loads dependent on region but what am I likely going to have to spend per year during the warranty period?
My V70 was around the £250-£300/year mark. I would expect the XC60 to be comparable.

Quote:
Family pack rear seats- Does anyone know if they are less comfy than the non adjustable seats?
In the down position, they're just as comfy as regular seats.

Quote:
I've seen some '60s with Running boards, different fronts etc are you able to chose these as options or are they only available on certain models R-Design etc?
They're dealer-fit accessories. Though I don't believe they will fit the R-Design.

Quote:
Rear Camera- Is this worthwhile or just a gimmick?
We absolutely love ours. Makes reversing a doddle.

Quote:
Ashtrays- I do not plan to smoke (or let anyone else smoke) in the car, is it a good idea to get the ashtrays/ powerpoints anyway though, or are they aesthetically unpleasing?
If you're not going to smoke in the car, why bother with them.

Quote:
Wheels- Are the 18 inch an option with the Premium? Which wheels are seen as the best re- ride etc?
18" are standard on SE Lux and R-Design, and a £775 option on other models. I can't fault the ride on our 18" Zephyrus.

Quote:
Tom Tom- I have a Tom Tom one, does any know if the wire will easily travel from the the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen to the cigar lighter with ease?
The nearest power point is in the centre console cup holder. It'll be a bit of an untidy stretch from there to that corner of the screen.

Quote:
Test Drives- I requested a test drive off the website yesterday and Volvo smoke to me today and stated that they'd get my local dealership to give me a bell, I was hoping to test drive this w/e, in your experience did the dealer (I suspect it will be dealer specific) get back to you quickly, or should I just give them a bell myself?
We called the dealer directly, so can't comment.
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scw For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 14:48   #3
Superbenj

Thanks so much SCW, very helpful indeed

Re- The Ashtrays, I've read on here that people may think they're a good, little storage cubby. Do you know what you get in place of the ashtrays?

I also thought they may offer additional lighter options, that could perhaps over come the problem with the separate Satnav, although if the Deluxe comes with the built in one, this may not be an issue, although I suspect having seen other built in Satnavs that the TomTom may well be superior
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 15:07   #4
scw

Quote:
TRe- The Ashtrays, I've read on here that people may think they're a good, little storage cubby. Do you know what you get in place of the ashtrays?
According to the handbook, "... if ashtray and cigarette lighter are specified then there is a cigarette lighter in the 12V socket for the front seat ... and a detachable ashtray in the cup holder."

So it looks like you lose a cup holder if the ashtray is installed.
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scw For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 16:15   #5
VolvoXc60

"Volvo on call- Do many of you have this, it looks like a good idea (and I like the look of the buttons!) Are there any ongoing costs, or do you only have to pay for the option?"

I think you have to pay after three years.
VolvoXc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoXc60 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 20:04   #6
blank354

Default good choice

its a great car,just had mine but we had a 4 month wait for ours so check lead times with your dealer(audi quoted 9 mouths for a Q5).
the D5 engine with 205ps is a great engine and seems to be the best choice,personally we went for the R design spec,think it looks a much better styled car with all the options that come with it.
we went for the 20"cractus alloys and they set the car off perfect and the handling seems fine even with these on,
take the plunge with one off these,i doubt you will regret it,we are very pleased with ours
blank354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 10:50   #7
Superbenj

Order placed!! Thanks again for your help

D5 Geartronic SE premium, White with Black Leather, BLIS, Front/ Rear Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Heated Front Seats, On Call and the Family pack.

Due in early March

Shame I don't have it for this weather!
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 13:54   #8
XC60KEV
Master Member

Quote:

D5 Geartronic SE premium, White with Black Leather, BLIS, Front/ Rear Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Heated Front Seats, On Call and the Family pack.

Due in early March

Nice one Superbenj - the long wait begins...
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 18:57   #9
Matteus XC60

Quote:

Due in early March

You won't regret it!!

Tags
new buyer, on call, premium, questions, rear camera