Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hi Newbie V70 owner here

Views : 2529

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2014, 14:04   #1

Default Hi Newbie V70 owner here

Hi, After years of wanting a V70 i managed to get myself a reasonable 08 plate SE Lux with 121K on it, FSH by Harretts till 89K then a couple of services after that by local garages including it says cam belt. The last service was only 2k ago and the "Engine systems service" warning has just popped up today. I had planned on doing all the service stuff and light maintenance myself and planned to get a light reset tool in the fullness of time but not expected to have needed it on day 3 ! lol. Will it stick the car in limp mode at any point ? and what code reader will i need ? .The car smokes a little when cold started and smells oilly but clears up as soon as it warms up, unfortunately i never got chance to see it cold start before but there is no oil in the water or gunge in the cylinder head, in fact its in perfect condition and runs very sweat. i m wondering if parking on a slant is effecting it !
Everything works just as it should and it drives very well indeed, after years of trouble free Fiat driving im hoping for the same from Volvo
Kind Regards
Jon
47423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 16:32   #2
H20 VOLVO

You'll need to list engine variant of the new car.

Welcome to the forum!
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 18:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO View Post
You'll need to list engine variant of the new car.

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry. its the D5 (185).
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 20:28   #4

I think i have found the answer in a old post, i believe the engine has too much oil in it and will drain some on Friday (maybe even completely change it so i kow its been done)
Can anyone post a link of were i can get hold of the right code reader/reset tool from.
Thanks Jon
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 00:12   #5
andyroooo

I had exactly the same message on my newly acquired car (same age and model as yours) I took some of the oil out and had a tame mechanic re set the computer and it's been fine since.
Good Luck.
Andrew
andyroooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 10:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroooo View Post
I had exactly the same message on my newly acquired car (same age and model as yours) I took some of the oil out and had a tame mechanic re set the computer and it's been fine since.
Good Luck.
Andrew
Cheers Andrew,
I completely changed the oil yesterday (always my intention to do so but not so soon !). It bottled about 6.2 litres yesterday. On further checking the engine over yesterday the swirl arm is also off. I researched all the posts on here about that and decided as it still has a warranty on it not to touch that myself. It is now booked in at Clive Brooks on Friday to be repaired and hopefully i will be able to reclaim the money back.
We will see this morning when we go to Asda if it still smokes.
Jon
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 12:03   #7
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47423 View Post
Cheers Andrew,
I completely changed the oil yesterday (always my intention to do so but not so soon !). It bottled about 6.2 litres yesterday. On further checking the engine over yesterday the swirl arm is also off. I researched all the posts on here about that and decided as it still has a warranty on it not to touch that myself. It is now booked in at Clive Brooks on Friday to be repaired and hopefully i will be able to reclaim the money back.
We will see this morning when we go to Asda if it still smokes.
Jon
Is 6.2ltr the right amount? I thought 5.5ltr was the revised amount to stop the issue you mentioned?
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 14:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO View Post
Is 6.2ltr the right amount? I thought 5.5ltr was the revised amount to stop the issue you mentioned?
I put 5.5 litres in, 6.2 is what i managed to bottle after i drained it.
The engine did smoke blue when first started today, and you could still see a small trace after 10 mins running. it still smells a little oily too. Not sure if the broken swirl arm is causing any of the smoke issues. If i get chance im going to check the turbo down pipe this afternoon and see what thats like.
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 15:26   #9

Can anyone tell me if turbo whistle (with the window down) and a dump valve type sound is normal when the engine is cold, its less pronounced when warmed up. Although it sounds good most modern turbos seem to be very quiet these days, i`m just going to jack it up and have a look at the blower now.
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 07:37   #10
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47423 View Post
Can anyone tell me if turbo whistle (with the window down) and a dump valve type sound is normal when the engine is cold, its less pronounced when warmed up. Although it sounds good most modern turbos seem to be very quiet these days, i`m just going to jack it up and have a look at the blower now.
No, I wouldn't say so, but difficult to comment too much without hearing it.

I believe they are all re-circ relief valves as standard, so unused pressurised air goes back into the system and therefore usually pretty quiet if at all even audible to the driver.