Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hi Newbie V70 owner here

Views : 2527

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2014, 10:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO View Post
No, I wouldn't say so, but difficult to comment too much without hearing it.

I believe they are all re-circ relief valves as standard, so unused pressurised air goes back into the system and therefore usually pretty quiet if at all even audible to the driver.
Thanks.
Its not audible inside the car with the windows up, but you can hear it at low speeds with the window down especially in enclosed areas.
I took the heatshield off the Turbo and unbolted the bottom two bolts off and loosened the top bolt off but decided against fully removing it as its a swine to get to. The turbo area looked dry with no oil spill evidence at all which is why i decided to leave it at that for now.
When the swirl arm gets fixed (i refitted that but that was so loose it came off first time it was operated) i`ll see how it smokes then.
The smoke isn`t too excessive, id just like to get to the bottom of were its coming from. Its too early to say how much oil, if any that the engine is using but again i`ll keep a close eye on it.
In 15 years of running Fiat`s , id never once had to touch the engines, suspension parts was their main failure area.
47423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 16:11   #12

A quick update on the faults,
The Engine service light went out by itself a couple of days after i re did the oil.
It had the swirl arm repaired at Clive Brooks in Bradford, when i arrived i was kindly told that it was still under recall for the Aux belt which they said they would do at the same time, so i was chuffed as that was on the "to do" list. Although when i got home i had a quick look at the Swirl arm and thought i`m sure that's the old one and i have been billed for a new one! Today i took off the large pipe from the EGR valve to see how much gunge was in it and confirmed my thoughts that the old arm was used (I know its only a £5 part but if they can do that what else will they try it on with!, a phone call will be going into the service dept tomorrow).
The EGR pipe wasn`t too bad at all, what is the black plastic cover on the front of the EGR valve ? , i undid that and something spring loaded was behind it. Before i went any further i thought i`d ask if that is what i need to take off ?
Clive Brooks said the car is running rough and needs further investigation, With a starting price of around £125 just for initial diagnostics.
Does anyone in West Yorkshire have a Dice that they could plug in to see what faults if any it has. I looked into buying my own Dice but we only have a Win 7 Home laptop, and it seems it only works on windows 7 Pro.
I`d really like to get to the bottom of the smoke issue, so if anyone could be of help it would be appreciated
Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to 47423 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2014, 15:13   #13

A further update and a copy of the post in the diesel section just to bring this thread to a close.
Mine has just returned from the rather excellent Clive Brooks.
The DPF has been bored out and this could be the cause of it smoking, at a cost of £800 i declined the replacement as it may not be the definite cause of the problem and tbh i can live with it as long as it passes the Emissions test. It had just recently passed the test and i wondered if anyone else with similar empty DPF`s that had any problems come test time. ( I do not know for certain if mine passed the test or they got round it if you know what i mean!).
Volvo cleared the faults on the last visit and it has not thrown up any since, they cannot see anything wrong with the engine although a few repairs that have been do look a bit iffy and it sounds a bit throaty (could that be because it has or hasn`t been re mapped after the removal of the DPF inners? )
At least this has not left me out of pocket,
Thanks to Craig at Clive Brooks
Old May 20th, 2014, 18:30   #14
tt82
Forum Support Team

Are you saying that Clive Brook have removed tbe DPF despite this component being due to be an MOT testable item?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 19:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Are you saying that Clive Brook have removed tbe DPF despite this component being due to be an MOT testable item?
Hell, No! They were tracing the fault and checked the insides of the DPF. If it would cure the fault for sure it would have been booked in to do, but he`s not fully sure and cant find owt else amiss. There are some question marks over previous repairs but i have no history of it.
At the end of the day it works, so to coin a work phrase "Let it develop" is about all i can do at the moment.
Old May 20th, 2014, 20:36   #16
I-S
Premier Member

I think the suggestion is that some cowboy has removed the innards of the dpf, causing the observed smoke and engine light, and that Clive Brook have found the problem.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2014, 21:01   #17
tt82
Forum Support Team

But you clearly say "bored out" and "removal of the DPF inners". The casing might be there but what about the rest?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 21:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
But you clearly say "bored out" and "removal of the DPF inners". The casing might be there but what about the rest?
The MOT is only a visual check of the outer part of it, they don`t unbolt it and check it. If the DPF was completely missing that would be a fail.
Old May 20th, 2014, 21:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
I think the suggestion is that some cowboy has removed the innards of the dpf, causing the observed smoke and engine light, and that Clive Brook have found the problem.
Almost correct, not throwing up any lights or codes though, just a lot of smoke at a fresh start up and a very small amount while idling when warm, it does have a rich smell to it and that is the part that attracted my attention.
Old May 21st, 2014, 13:10   #20

I`ve just had it into the MOT test station and it passes the emissions test easy, needs to be under 3, it reads 1.5.
"Keep her running" my man says