Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 HIDS Question

Views : 1263

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 18:08   #1
Heyward83

Default C30 HIDS Question

Hi all i have just ordered a HID kit for my C30 R (58) i know what i am going to talk about has been mentioned before but wasn't 100% on what i need to do to stop the wiper motor burning out...

here is the diagram on hids as you can see it doesn't seem to have an earth?

as from previous posts this was shown

so does this mean i have to move the earth ( right one ) ? from pic below to another location ?

just don't want to fit them and get it wrong then have the wiper motor blow on me. any help would be appreciated!!
Heyward83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 13:23   #2
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Basically, added the earth wire through the rubber grommet. Use plenty of petroleum jelly to ensure a nice dry seal is made.

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 15:48   #3
mattievrs
Master Member

As above really, I earthed the drivers side bulb and ballast to a different point on the chassis so it wasn't earthed through the light loom. I then had my drl headlights switched off at volvo as it was burning through bulbs like no tomorrow! If you have that done you can use them normally without re earthing them as it doesn't surge current through the loom.
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 17:22   #4
Heyward83

Thanks a lot so what do I need to buy to be able to do that?
Ye had the DRL turned off the weekend £25 from dealer not bad I thought.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 17:24   #5
Heyward83

I have no electrical knowledge what so ever I know how to fit the kit it's self but anything else like adding an earth to it I wouldn't have a clue what to do or use ?

Last edited by Heyward83; Jun 2nd, 2014 at 17:38.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 19:10   #6
Heyward83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattievrs View Post
If you have that done you can use them normally without re earthing them as it doesn't surge current through the loom.

sorry i was reading your reply on phone missed that bit.. so as i have had it turned off now i don't need to earth it ??
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 19:55   #7
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

I earthed both sides and ran a cable from the strut mounts through the rubber grommet. Where the two male connectors go into the original bulb connector I added a splitter in the picture so that the earth is then looped into one of the connector.

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 20:13   #8
Heyward83

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
I earthed both sides and ran a cable from the strut mounts through the rubber grommet. Where the two male connectors go into the original bulb connector I added a splitter in the picture so that the earth is then looped into one of the connector.

ok thanks with what matt said cause i have had drl turned off can i get away with out earthing it now?
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 23:22   #9
mattievrs
Master Member

You've had the headlights turned off so you can drive around with no lights on? If so, then just plug the hids in normally. The wiper motor fries as there is sometimes a surge of voltage from the hids as when you put the key in and turn it, the ignition goes through stage one then stage two and causes the hids to power up twice. This can lead to them frying the wiper motor chip.

As long as you can have the headlights off completely, you don't need to do anything other than wire the hids in normally.
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 23:31   #10
Heyward83

Yes they are off only come on now if I put them on manually. That's great then thanks for your help!!