Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 Lease Service Timings

Views : 2193

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2019, 10:22   #1
mackstar

Post S90 Lease Service Timings

Hi, I have a leased S90 R-Design D4 for 36months. I do on average 12K miles per year. The car arrived on March 5th 2018 and needs to be returned on March 4th/5th 2021.

According to the service guide it needs to be serviced every 12 months or 18K miles whichever is less. With this in mind it will be due its 3rd service on the day it is due to be returned.

Do I need to have done this service before I return it? Or can I return it with the service being due?

I am about to purchase a service plan which is why I want to plan this. When I phoned the Volvo dealer they said don't worry just do it every 18K miles (however I thought this a little blasé and do not want to be penalised).

In another unrelated manufacturers forum someone suggested there was usually 1 month grace for services so I could stagger them over 2 years and the 3rd would then be 2 months after I am due to return it.

Do you have any thoughts or experiences regarding this?
mackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 11:38   #2
sammyblackbaron

My agreement specifies something like "if another service will be due within 30 days of the end of the lease, you must get it serviced prior to handing the car back".

Lease through Volvo leasing, so I would imagine it's standard.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 09:50   #3
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyblackbaron View Post
My agreement specifies something like "if another service will be due within 30 days of the end of the lease, you must get it serviced prior to handing the car back".

Lease through Volvo leasing, so I would imagine it's standard.
With lease cars I work on the principle of stretching each service a couple of weeks after it due, but stick within the 30 days / 1k miles boundary that most manufacturers seem to stipulate. 2.5 weeks on yr1 service, 2.5 on yr2 and you should be free of dash lights by hand back.
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 09:56   #4
elotro

I know itīs a bit off topic but it has been mentioned on the first message. Do you do the maintenance every year or just every 18k miles even do if itīs every 18 months for example? I still donīt have the car but seeing the recomendations for other manufacturers, every year sounds a bit soon when VW for example recomends every 2 years.
elotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:39   #5
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elotro View Post
I know itīs a bit off topic but it has been mentioned on the first message. Do you do the maintenance every year or just every 18k miles even do if itīs every 18 months for example? I still donīt have the car but seeing the recomendations for other manufacturers, every year sounds a bit soon when VW for example recomends every 2 years.
You should read the terms and conditions - VW does say 2 years for our VW sharan, but only if you do less than 5,000 miles per year. If you go over that then its yearly / 18,000miles.

In my experience VW are fantastic at misrepresenting nearly everything, don't get me wrong the cars are good, but they are not amazing as they would have you believe!
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:15   #6
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elotro View Post
My XC60 and V90 are on 12 months/ 18,000 miles, whichever comes first
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:43   #7
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

I have a 2 year PCH lease through Volvo (Santander) and was advised by my Dealer to have the first service carried out around 4 weeks after it fell due so that I didn’t need to have the second service carried out before it was handed back.

Services are required at 12 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I have checked the T&C’s and there is no mention of having a service carried out within a certain period of time of handing the vehicle.

There is a requirement, however, for an MOT carried out (for those on 3 or 4 year lease deals) if one is due within 2 months of handing the vehicle back.

You definitely need to check your T&C’s though so that you don’t fall foul of any requirements which could then cost you a financial penalty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuffolkBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 20:20   #8
mackstar

Thumbs up Thanks everyone

I think as those suggest I will probably do a service 16 days after when it is due each time. This means that I will have 32 days until the next due service when I return it. I will double check my contract to make sure there are no odd stipulations that will catch me out.
mackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 08:30   #9
elotro

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
You should read the terms and conditions - VW does say 2 years for our VW sharan, but only if you do less than 5,000 miles per year. If you go over that then its yearly / 18,000miles.

In my experience VW are fantastic at misrepresenting nearly everything, don't get me wrong the cars are good, but they are not amazing as they would have you believe!
Thanks, I was considering an Arteon before going for the S90 and I do know they specified 2 years or 30.000km here in Spain. I didnīt know that they had that nuance in the specs as they donīt really tell you.

My experience with them is horrible so I really believe your point. I actually ordered that Arteon and they told me I would have it in January 2019 (ordered in July 2018), then they started extending the lead time up to a point where they told me I would have it between July-December 2019. I cancelled when I discovered the prices for the S90.
elotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 11:54   #10
MattXC60T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackstar View Post
Hi, I have a leased S90 R-Design D4 for 36months. I do on average 12K miles per year. The car arrived on March 5th 2018 and needs to be returned on March 4th/5th 2021.

According to the service guide it needs to be serviced every 12 months or 18K miles whichever is less. With this in mind it will be due its 3rd service on the day it is due to be returned.

Do I need to have done this service before I return it? Or can I return it with the service being due?

I am about to purchase a service plan which is why I want to plan this. When I phoned the Volvo dealer they said don't worry just do it every 18K miles (however I thought this a little blasé and do not want to be penalised).

In another unrelated manufacturers forum someone suggested there was usually 1 month grace for services so I could stagger them over 2 years and the 3rd would then be 2 months after I am due to return it.

Do you have any thoughts or experiences regarding this?
Hi appreciate you posted this sometime ago but how did the return go in March this year? I have an XC 60 due to return on June 15. It seems to me that service is due under t&c but not really clear if there will be a missed service penalty of Ģ100+vat only or service cost in addition?
MattXC60T5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, s90, service, service intervals, service schedule