Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 inside london's ULEZ

Views : 15887

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2021, 10:01   #71
derek vivian

Default Ulez

It was reported in yesterday's Daily Telegraph that Transport for London (TFL) has made around £600,000 per day from the ULEZ charges since widening the ULEZ to within the North and South Circular Roads! Yes, you read right I said per day!! WOW!
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 10:16   #72
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
It was reported in yesterday's Daily Telegraph that Transport for London (TFL) has made around £600,000 per day from the ULEZ charges since widening the ULEZ to within the North and South Circular Roads! Yes, you read right I said per day!! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Probably but meanwhile Sadist Khan is now getting £1.25m per day from the already suffering motorists!
That's about half my original estimate Derek based on the figures available at the time. Traffic through the ULEZ must have halved since the figures i based my estimate on were published.

As far as i understand it, those funds from the ULEZ go into the TfL pot which also covers the bus and tube services yet Sadist Khan is still whingeing he needs another government handout (or is it bail-out?) because he's been spending money on stupid things like multicoloured Zebra crossings.

It's blatantly obvious the man can't budget and has poor decision-making capabilities - he should be removed from office ASAP and someone who can manage £4.2m a week income for doing nothing with good decision making should replace him.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 22:55   #73
arctan

Default ULEZ woes.

I'm a semi retired low income person.
I have an lpg 940.
I live and work within the ULEZ zone.
I did a month or so of driving the 940 , auto paying the ulez charges, 250 to 300.
Then a few weeks in our other family car, a compliant Accord estate.
Great fun, a go Kart, 190 bhp. Mainly my wifes car, my backup car.
Only it's FWD, has low seats, and, not being Volvo, the seats are painful rubbish after a few hours or less. My fault for having a herniated disc, too.
So. I've just bought a v70. Stop laughing please! Two and a half thousand. An interim measure, until I get out of London, which was supposed to happen last summer, but legal property nonsense means next February or later.
My 940 will hopefully soon be parked on a family front drive outside London.
Alternatively, I can continue paying the council parking charges (100 for 3 months etc), the insurance and road tax on the 940. Most people I've met who've moved out of London say they wouldn't move back. Hopefully I'll be joining their number soon.
I do hope the V70 behaves itself, mechanically. Nearly all 940 issues, which haven't been many, can be resolved economically, and it doesn't hurt my back either!
I did email someone about getting the 940 re certified. 6k I think.
Did someone say ULEZ might impact on poorer people?

'91 3Ltr 960. '91 2.3 HPT 960. 98 Celebration.'97 LPT (Anti roll, MBC) - Current.
'04 V70 Auto, Petrol -Current.
'05 Accord Estate, 2.4 Auto -Current
arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arctan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 23:14   #74
XCR
Master Member

I'm currently searching for a compatible car to stay one step ahead of this bullsh1t, awaiting the moving of the goalposts....and, needing an estate I've settled on the only real contender, a plug in hybrid Mercedes C350E.
The issue I'm coming across time and again is date of registration and road tax...
Up to 31/03/17 - A big fat £0 - hurrah !
From 01/04/17 - one day later.....£145 + £335 - How ****ing nice of them !
Naturally the closest, best specced, lowest mileage cars I'm finding are post April 2017 registered.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 12:00   #75
Forrest
VOC Member

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that the exemption that would interest me most, were I regularly affected by this regressive tax, is the rolling 40 year historic vehicle class. Cars manufactured in 1982 can be registered as such from next year. That would bring many 200 series Volvos and even the very first 760s into consideration.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 14:38   #76
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that the exemption that would interest me most, were I regularly affected by this regressive tax, is the rolling 40 year historic vehicle class. Cars manufactured in 1982 can be registered as such from next year. That would bring many 200 series Volvos and even the very first 760s into consideration.
I'm very much looking forward to my 1986 760 turbo becoming tax and MOT exempt.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 09:36   #77
derek vivian

Default V90 and ULEZ

It was reported in today's Daily Telegraph that the London Mayor is going to expand ULEZ to the whole of Greater London Area. This means all London Boroughs. This will or should meet with a lot of concern for all car drivers with combustion engines. There was no mention as to when this expansion will take place, but all those concerned should write to their MPs or possibly their newspaper. At my age 78 I shall have to decide whether I give up driving all together or buy an electric car!!
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 10:02   #78
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
It was reported in today's Daily Telegraph that the London Mayor is going to expand ULEZ to the whole of Greater London Area. This means all London Boroughs. This will or should meet with a lot of concern for all car drivers with combustion engines. There was no mention as to when this expansion will take place, but all those concerned should write to their MPs or possibly their newspaper. At my age 78 I shall have to decide whether I give up driving all together or buy an electric car!!
He's expanding it to match his ego and try to fill the empty coffers of TfL as he's run that into the ground as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: