Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel bearing install query

Views : 725

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 10:43   #1
Juular

Default Wheel bearing install query

Hi,

One of my front wheel bearings became noisy earlier in the week, so I got straight to it and pulled the old bearing out, following the procedure in the Haynes manual.

The inner race of the inner bearing was stuck solid onto the stub, so I had to cut most of the way through it to release it.

I've run into a problem installing the new bearings, in that they seem ridiculously tight on the stub. The Haynes advises simply to 'refit the new bearing on the stub'. Watching some videos, it looks like other people are simply pushing the new bearings onto the stub by hand with very little resistance.

This is not the case for me, in fact I had to lay the old bearing on top of the new one and tap it in with a hammer using quite considerable force. The outer bearing (under the hub nut) has exactly the same problem.

I thought I had it all together, but now the brake caliper cannot be refitted as the rotor doesn't appear to be sitting straight. Clearly the inner bearing isn't seated correctly.

So, the question is, is this level of force to be expected, and how do I know when the inner bearing is seated correctly?
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 11:03   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Hi,

One of my front wheel bearings became noisy earlier in the week, so I got straight to it and pulled the old bearing out, following the procedure in the Haynes manual.

The inner race of the inner bearing was stuck solid onto the stub, so I had to cut most of the way through it to release it.

I've run into a problem installing the new bearings, in that they seem ridiculously tight on the stub. The Haynes advises simply to 'refit the new bearing on the stub'. Watching some videos, it looks like other people are simply pushing the new bearings onto the stub by hand with very little resistance.

This is not the case for me, in fact I had to lay the old bearing on top of the new one and tap it in with a hammer using quite considerable force. The outer bearing (under the hub nut) has exactly the same problem.

I thought I had it all together, but now the brake caliper cannot be refitted as the rotor doesn't appear to be sitting straight. Clearly the inner bearing isn't seated correctly.

So, the question is, is this level of force to be expected, and how do I know when the inner bearing is seated correctly?
The inner race should be a hand fit over the stub axle , are the numbers the same on the bearings? Is the stub axle damaged anywhere preventing the bearing going on fully?
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 11:38   #3
Othen
Premier Member

This may help:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2705

... I used a bearing press to replace the races - I recall they are a pretty tight fit, I think I used the old race as a buffer to get the new ones all the way in. Keep pressing until it won't move any more - certainly much more than finger tight!

Once the hub is back together it should just slip onto the stub axle, so it sounds like something may not be quite straight with the new races. The castle nut should pull it into place with little force (from memory 70 NM, then slacken off 1/3 turn).

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 11:51.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 12:41   #4
Juular

Thanks both.

The stub doesn't appear to be damaged. I might disassemble everything again then go over it with some fine sandpaper to make sure there's nothing to bind on.

The outer races (the ones that go into the hub itself) went in without any drama. I used a block of wood flat across the races then tapped them home with a rubber mallet. They are perfectly straight.

I'll check the numbers on the bearings this evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 15:29   #5
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Sometimes a bearing can be heated (oven) to expand it:~
Shrinking the opposite part is also a benefit- obviously this part won't fit into the fridge but you could devise a method with some packed ice.

I've used the heat/shrink method on crown wheel & pinions plus half shafts, it is quite a common practice- work quickly whilst the bearing is still hot- don't overcook it though.
The above should help providing all parts are correct.
Good Luck.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 13:55   #6
Juular

Cheers folks, got it sorted!

It turned out to be a combination of two things. Firstly, the stub must've had some debris or baked on rubbish that was causing the bearing to bind rather than slide on properly. I sanded it down with 300 - 400 - 600 grit paper and oiled it up, and the hub slid on nicely.

Secondly I noticed that the rubber seal that goes right on the inside had popped off and was jamming against the back of the bearing, preventing it from seating in place.

Wheel is now back on and everything seems fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 16:38   #7
hennabm

I had a similar experience when I changed mine back in n 2015.

I thought I had purchased the wrong bearings but found it was the stub that needed to be cleaned gently with 1500 grit and light oil. The bearings then slipped on a little easier.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hennabm For This Useful Post: