Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on buying a Selekt S90 please

Views : 1250

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2023, 13:51   #1
vinniepaz

Default Advice on buying a Selekt S90 please

I have decided to buy an S90. There arent many available anywhere near me, so I am considering buying one online and and having it delivered. I presume an approved used Selekt would be the safest option in terms of avoiding a dud or a car with any issues.

I have seen the Selekt checklist on this site and if those checks are genuinely undertaken then buying one should be safe right? Please give me your thoughts on that.

I would also appriciate your thoughts on what kind of discount i should push for on the sticker price.

One advantage is that I presumably have the whole country to choose from so If you have reason to recommend a particular dealership I would be happy to hear it.

Thank you
vinniepaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 14:04   #2
SlapNutz

Hi

Not trying to be negative but we are living in times where a lot if not everything majority is all fraud, misrepresentation, border line scams disguised as small print. And this goes for govt based institutes as well as big industry. Don’t rely on anything or anyone. Do your due diligence. Don’t pay a penny until you have seen the item yourself had it inspected by an independent body and are satisfied before you part with your hard earned cash.Unless of course you are willing to take a gamble.

They want you to sign an agreement, sure. Same time print out your agreement stating any and I mean any issues that occur within 1 year of ownership of the vehicle will be at your sole discretion as to wether you want it repaired without any cost to you or return the vehicle and get a full refund and throw it at them. If they are legit they will agree and sign yours too.

Sound very negative doesn’t it? It is what it is.

Regards
Slaps

Last edited by SlapNutz; Dec 13th, 2023 at 14:08.
SlapNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SlapNutz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 14:39   #3
KungFooBob

I purchased a Selekt S90 (R Design D4) back in April.

The dealers (Riverside Volvo) price was similar to other non-franchised dealers so it being a Selekt was a bonus.

It's been back one to have a front door speaker replaced under warranty, I reckon the 12 month warranty gives you a little more piece of mind when buying unseen. I believe you can also have the work done at any official Volvo dealer, so it doesn't have to go back to the supplying dealer if it's the other end of the country.

One thing to remember is that if it's got lots of options it could push the original list price up over £40k (my 2019 was just under when new due to clever picking of options by the first owner) which means you'll get hit for premium car tax on top of the VED.

I doubt you'll get any discount on the sticker price.
KungFooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KungFooBob For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 16:24   #4
vinniepaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapNutz View Post
Hi

Not trying to be negative but we are living in times where a lot if not everything majority is all fraud, misrepresentation, border line scams disguised as small print. And this goes for govt based institutes as well as big industry. Don’t rely on anything or anyone. Do your due diligence. Don’t pay a penny until you have seen the item yourself had it inspected by an independent body and are satisfied before you part with your hard earned cash.Unless of course you are willing to take a gamble.

They want you to sign an agreement, sure. Same time print out your agreement stating any and I mean any issues that occur within 1 year of ownership of the vehicle will be at your sole discretion as to wether you want it repaired without any cost to you or return the vehicle and get a full refund and throw it at them. If they are legit they will agree and sign yours too.

Sound very negative doesn’t it? It is what it is.

Regards
Slaps
Thanks for your response. It doesnt sound negative. It sounds like me I was hoping to be reassured that it was all fine because ive actually been shopping for this car for over a year (autism is not always great) and i just want it done with
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniepaz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 16:28   #5
vinniepaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
I purchased a Selekt S90 (R Design D4) back in April.

The dealers (Riverside Volvo) price was similar to other non-franchised dealers so it being a Selekt was a bonus.

It's been back one to have a front door speaker replaced under warranty, I reckon the 12 month warranty gives you a little more piece of mind when buying unseen. I believe you can also have the work done at any official Volvo dealer, so it doesn't have to go back to the supplying dealer if it's the other end of the country.

One thing to remember is that if it's got lots of options it could push the original list price up over £40k (my 2019 was just under when new due to clever picking of options by the first owner) which means you'll get hit for premium car tax on top of the VED.

I doubt you'll get any discount on the sticker price.
Thank you, this is also a useful response as regards sticker price. If it is the case that negotiating price is unrealistic then it makes it easier to commit to driving from London to the north east if the price is fixed. I was hoping to haggle though. Riverside gets much love on this forum

Please any other thoughts?
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 16:31   #6
vinniepaz

Actually the R design seems to represent better value than the momentum as the price differnce is small. How do you find the ride? Revews indicate its a bumpier ride due to bigger wheel etc. But i really fancy the HUD .What say you?
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 18:56   #7
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Bought ours unseen from Marshall under Selekt; complete confidence but then I’ve probably bought 5 cars over the phone/ internet, no issue with any if I needed dealer support at a closer dealership.

Discount? Unlikely unless you can evidence a comparable car elsewhere that’s notably cheaper, the proliferation of nation-wide buying means that prices tend to be balanced nationally.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Bullitt For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 19:07   #8
vinniepaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt View Post
Bought ours unseen from Marshall under Selekt; complete confidence but then I’ve probably bought 5 cars over the phone/ internet, no issue with any if I needed dealer support at a closer dealership.

Discount? Unlikely unless you can evidence a comparable car elsewhere that’s notably cheaper, the proliferation of nation-wide buying means that prices tend to be balanced nationally.
Thank you. Thats good to know. The best examples available that meet my criteria are in scotland and im in the south east. so delivery is the only realistic way i could get them.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 19:54   #9
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

I’d always go Inscription/ Inscription Pro or Inscription Plus, the quality of the finishes really lift the cabin - there’s a nice one (as much as the internet can show) at Riverside in Doncaster, only downside is the Charcoal interior rather than the Blond.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Bullitt For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 21:27   #10
KungFooBob

I've gone from a JCW Mini, to an R231 SL Merc, to the S90 R-Design.

The R-Design is defo the 'plusher' ride, but I've not driven a Non-R Volvo to compare the ride too.

My R has the Winter pack, heated screen and steering wheel, but other than that is stock R-Design spec. I think the HUD would have pushed it over 40K.

Having now owned a car with a heated steering wheel, I couldn't go without. The Pilot Assist is a game changer for me. It's amazing.

I miss the interior quality of my SL, the Volvo isn't a patch on it... good job I gave the SL to the wife and can drive it on sunny days

Last edited by KungFooBob; Dec 13th, 2023 at 21:30.
KungFooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KungFooBob For This Useful Post:

Tags
dealership, s90