Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering Rack Linkage on 242

Views : 1143

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 22:05   #1
Ben O Brien

Default Steering Rack Linkage on 242

Hi
ive a problem with my 242,I am currently doing a nut andbolt restoration including a LHD - RHD Conversion,I am removing the old p/s rack and where the rack attches to the shock/spring/balljoint arm(for want of appropriate word) the joint is seized on the top of the joint there is a 19mm nut but the head of the bolt is not visible so when i turn the nut anticlockwise the whole nut and bolt turns together,its driving me crazy has anyone any suggestions as to where the head of the bolt is or how to loosen iot i would very much appreciate it,i am so close to taking a grinder to the whole thing because im stripping the car to a shell and using every single part bar the 2 doors and quarter panel from a 244 that i have for spares but its just not in my nature.Anyway thanks in advance
Best Regards
ben
82 242 120K Modified (Twin dellortos,lowered,etc.etc....)
82 244 90K
89 245 116K
91 245 183K
96 850(4)127K

Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 23:31   #2
Colin Shepherd

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...8/23744414.jpg

Ben,
If you are referring to the track rod to steering arm connection there is no bolt head, the stationary part with the nut on is one end of a ball joint.
The "bolt" which the nut is fitted to fits into a taper on the steering arm which should stop it rotating as you undo the nut.
Try putting a jack between the ground and the ball joint thus forcing the taper joint together and then try undoing the nut.
If this doesn`t work you could split the nut with a sharp cold chisel or a nut splitter to get it off.
An angle grinder would do the job, but you would probably damage the steering arm in the process.
Colin.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 13:10   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default RE: Steering Rack Linkage on 242

Failing Colin's method, which usually works, I'd wait until you have dismantled it entirely and have the bits on the bench. Then you could angle-grind it safely. You might even save the ball joint itself if you manage to cut/split the nut without damaging the threads on the ball section.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 17:40   #4
Ben O Brien

Default RE: Steering Rack Linkage on 242

hi
im gonna buy a nut splitter and break it off,its the same situation at the other side of the car too,I kind of did it wrong anyway i took off the bolts at the top first(inside the bonnet in the shock/spring housing) and the shock and spring are now on the ground only being held on by this bolt,the other side is completely intact and i havent gone near it yet the bolt still spins,a freind reckoned their might be a groove for an allen key at the top of the bolt but after i scraped all the crud out of it i realised its just a dish shaped groove,anyway ill just break the bolt off or cut the steering arm with a grinder because once this comes off its going straight in a skip-i have 3 other 240s but theyre all RHD,thanks for your help.Also colin could you email me your address so i can send you the money for that carb tool you sent me,i havent used it yet to adjust the other one just went and got another 240 with twin dellortos on a special manifold for spares,i reckon ill rebuild my own carb though for emergencys and hang on to the "single" manifold.
Best Regards
Ben
82 242 (modifying in progress)
82 244 GL
89 245 GL
91 245 SE
96 850(4)S
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote