Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 804433

Replies : 6185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2021, 17:53   #541
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The PS is the interesting bit Alan, another SHAC model and not being diesel is in its favour. That said the 1.8 16v engine in it is fragile but not as fragile as the earlier ones. Thankfully not turbo'd so likely to stay together longer without turning the head into a banana.
Probably a little steep on the money but that is reflected by the low mileage so in or around the ballpark. That said, being the dreaded "K"ettle engine, it could be low mileage because it's spent most of its time in the garage.

If not and it gets to 50k without HGF then it's probably going to be a good one.

While browsing ebay i discovered your water pump is most likely to fit the 300TDi engine as fitted to various Land/Range Rover models. I did find a few listings that quoted it as fitting anything and everything but i know from bitter experience (personal and that of others) that often the compatibility guides on fleabay are compiled by the seller who hasn't actually got a clue what's under the bonnet.

On the Rover forum i've fielded many questions by 827 owners who have bought a new alternator for £36 only to find it looks nothing like the Nippon-Denso factory fitted unit and can't work out how to fit it.

When i explain it's impossible because a) it doesn't have the right bracket arrangement, b) it doesn't have the right connectors to plug in, c) the lack of correct connectors means it can't function as Mr Honda intended it to and lastly d) the pulley is completely wrong and they can't be swapped.
Also fielded a few the other way round from people wanting to fit 827 alternators to 820 and had to explain the opposite.

That's just one example of sellers listing things as fitting the whole range, steering racks are another (827 racks are unique to the 827) but you get the idea.

That said, i wonder if adding the probability of what vehicles those parts will fit would increase the chances of shifting them. Most buyers are lazy and won't do their own part number checking so adding that information might just bring about a sale.
I quite liked the look of that 75 Dave, I know the K series engine can be a bit fragile in some guises, but it is a later one so might be better. Coming from a dealer it has 3 months warranty as well, so there would be a bit of a grace period. I know I don't need a fourth car - but I've never owned a 75... (I'll watch it for a while - I might even be tempted to offer 2 grand and see what the Brummie dealer says).

Regarding the water pump: I only have a partial part number from the packaging:

... so it starts PEB5... it looks the same as this one for a 300TDi motor:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rove...MAAOSwQ9xcfQtz

... so I think you are probably right. I'm not that fussed about selling the Land Rover parts - it just seems a pity to bin new or good used parts when there might be some impecunious lad or girl out there looking for just the item.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Apr 10th, 2021 at 17:55. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 19:39   #542
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's easier to say the K series engines that aren't fragile Alan - the 1.1 8v, 1.4 8v & 16v and 2.0 KV6 24v - consider the rest fragile, regardless of aspiration.

There are also a lot of niggly design faults with the 75 that can cause an FTP situation and others that cause water ingress into the boot - not by the usual methods but via the trim strips on the side of the car.

Also the ECU is mounted in the engine bay in a plenum that often fills with water - the drain is under the ECU and often fills with leaves and other debris.

I've always found them a "Marmite car", you love them or hate them.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 19:43   #543
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's easier to say the K series engines that aren't fragile Alan - the 1.1 8v, 1.4 8v & 16v and 2.0 KV6 24v - consider the rest fragile, regardless of aspiration.

There are also a lot of niggly design faults with the 75 that can cause an FTP situation and others that cause water ingress into the boot - not by the usual methods but via the trim strips on the side of the car.

Also the ECU is mounted in the engine bay in a plenum that often fills with water - the drain is under the ECU and often fills with leaves and other debris.

I've always found them a "Marmite car", you love them or hate them.
... perhaps I'd better do some research before buying one because I like the look of it!
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 00:22   #544
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... perhaps I'd better do some research before buying one because I like the look of it!
Definitely a good idea!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 07:27   #545
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... still no bids at the end of another auction for our rusty old friend:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49292
... our rusty old friend has reappeared again, this time for £1,400 or offers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...gAAOSw~LlgV5Hr

... at this rate it should be down to a sensible price before the school summer hols :-)
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 10:19   #546
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... our rusty old friend has reappeared again, this time for £1,400 or offers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...gAAOSw~LlgV5Hr

... at this rate it should be down to a sensible price before the school summer hols :-)
Maybe - but which summer hols?

Old Apr 13th, 2021, 15:58   #547
Challo

Just spotted this on FB, looks cheap. Hidden the number plate so no idea on previous MOT's and how rusty it might be underneath

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9021071554112/
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 19:37   #548
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
Just spotted this on FB, looks cheap. Hidden the number plate so no idea on previous MOT's and how rusty it might be underneath

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9021071554112/
... the same car on eBay I think -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V24...EAAOSwaRBgb2Ai

the speedo being stuck on 152,766 miles is a bit too much of a coincidence! It is currently £1,186.66 with 2 days of the auction to go. I wonder why the owner would have advertised it elsewhere today with the auction almost done?
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 16:26   #549
Thekilt

found this one on Cars and Classic, which will be up for auction soon. Looks very clean, but i do seem to remember this may have been on ebay recently, not sure though.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auct...240-glt-vnvjan

their Guide price seems ok for something in this condition, much better than the con men on Ebay.
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 16:36   #550
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
found this one on Cars and Classic, which will be up for auction soon. Looks very clean, but i do seem to remember this may have been on ebay recently, not sure though.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auct...240-glt-vnvjan

their Guide price seems ok for something in this condition, much better than the con men on Ebay.
Fairly sure you're right about it being on ebay recently, i think the link is in fact further up this thread.