Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2019 R Design Pro R22 wheels dilemma

Views : 1651

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2023, 19:00   #1
Mattfefc

Default XC90 2019 R Design Pro R22 wheels dilemma

Love my Volvo but is becoming silly with the country roads. Had it three years now gone through 4 to 5 tyres not through wear and an alloy. Just had a service needs another 4. Driving with my awful roads is not enjoyable anymore awaiting the next puncture that now I’m thinking of getting rid. Volvo suggested finding someone to potentially swap cars with or changing the size of the wheels to smaller size. Has anyone gone to smaller wheel and tyres I also have the air suspension. Either that or I sell and buy a normal R design with smaller tyres but feels like hassle
Mattfefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 20:50   #2
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

I'm running 22s and for the most part it's fine but certainly the local potted roads around here are ridiculous and reckon I might shift to more tyre before too long as the pot holes are as deep as my tyre profile.

A different brand of tyres might also be another thing to think about, I had 4 various splits and blow outs on my Abarth after switching to Pilot Sport 4, never had any issues on continental, Goodyear, Pirelli or Pilot Sport SS, something about the construction of PS4 just didn't work for the roads/pressures and profile on my car (used to do club motorsport with it, solos etc, so tyres saw extremes) so won't buy PS4s for anything sporty
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 21:42   #3
Ian0803

Mine is a 2022 XC90 running on 20 inch rims with std suspension. For sure I try to avoid pot holes where possible and reduce speed if necessary, but so far, the 20 inch rims with Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres have held up perfectly.

22 inch rims look great, but 20 inch are a good compromise between looks, comfort and with the taller tyre sidewalls, have a much better survivability with potholes.
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 00:07   #4
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfefc View Post
Had it three years now gone through 4 to 5 tyres not through wear and an alloy. Just had a service needs another 4.
What are the failures to the tyres BTW, you are suggesting you've damaged perhaps 8 or 9 tyres in 3 years, so interested to know how they have failed when it is not wear related, also what brand, the Pirelli? and what pressure do you run?

I was pretty sure on my other cars PS4 it was because the sidewalls were too soft (a general issue with Michelin IMO for what I was using them for) for the small sidewall and pressure allowing too much give.

I had to get home on this one Sunday Won the class but expensive day.

Last edited by sandys; Mar 20th, 2023 at 00:49.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 08:26   #5
Quaffwine

I have some very smart 19inch diamond cuts that you can have! Look much better on an xc90.

I swapped down to 18inch. Made a good difference for comfort.
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 10:44   #6
Mattfefc

Would 19inch fix the Air suspension model, presume with a thicker tyre would be ok.
Mattfefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 11:12   #7
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Would 19inch fix the Air suspension model, presume with a thicker tyre would be ok.
There's nothing broken to fix and is something specific to your use case, I'd imagine tyre pressures probably too low for the off roading you need to do on UKs low quality unmaintained roads.

Changing wheel/tyre or car won't necessarily fix anything if you don't understand the problem. A chunkier profile from smaller wheels with allow slightly better impact absorption due to greater tyre deformation.

19inch would be fine provided there is sufficient brake clearance, as yours is only an R design its brakes should be the stock size so you should have no issue on that score.

There would typically be quite a reduction in width at 19inch which would lead to cheaper tyres, personally I would maintain the 9" wheel width/offset as 22s certainly on xc60 come with extended arches, I'd assume the same for xc90 so I'd go with 20 or 21 so it sits right but first research tyres options.

quick look on Autotrader momentum vs r design arches, does look extended like xc60 so you'd likely need a spacer for 19s to sit right on a sportier model.

approved sizes for xc90 Approved wheel tyre

Last edited by sandys; Mar 20th, 2023 at 14:02.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 11:14   #8
Discoman

Best option is to buy a set of new/second hand 19" wheels and tyres. Cheaper in the long run. You can put the 22" ones on at resale and sell the 19" wheels/tyres later.

I bought a Momentum to get 19" wheels and it rides brilliantly even on the dynamic air suspension setting that I run it on normally.

Last edited by Discoman; Mar 20th, 2023 at 11:25.
Discoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 12:42   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

With 19 inch wheels I have done 150,000 miles in 7 years and have literally never had any tyre damage (touch wood).
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 13:31   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Love my Volvo but is becoming silly with the country roads. Had it three years now gone through 4 to 5 tyres not through wear and an alloy. Just had a service needs another 4. Driving with my awful roads is not enjoyable anymore awaiting the next puncture that now I’m thinking of getting rid. Volvo suggested finding someone to potentially swap cars with or changing the size of the wheels to smaller size. Has anyone gone to smaller wheel and tyres I also have the air suspension. Either that or I sell and buy a normal R design with smaller tyres but feels like hassle
Are you inflating the tyres to the higher of the advised pressures? Low tyre pressures are the biggest cause of this pot hole damage on ultra low profile tyres, I would use 40 psi...