Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing a car = Sadness!

Views : 1605

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 11:58   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default Replacing a car = Sadness!

I have been umming and arring about replacing my 'last of the line' P2 S60 for quite some time now and haven't been able to bring myself to do it until now. I've spent hours and hours on Autotrader, too anxious to commit to buying something new, and letting nice car after nice car slide because I didn't want to let it go.

Having owned it for nearly 4 years, I have formed a bond with it and I know it's quirks inside out. It's irritating that the car always rolls back when you put the handbrake on, because Volvo designed it that way. And how the ride is uncomfortable despite ironically having the most comfortable seats known to man. It's annoying how rear passengers cant just 'get in', they have to wait for the front passengers to move their seats forward due to shocking rear leg room. It's a right pain that the turning circle means reverse parking into most spaces is required. Yet it has been the most reliable, fault free car I've ever owned and has NEVER let me down. A real Volvo from before Ford got involved.

This S60 was my 'reward' purchase for paying off all of my debts following a bad period in my life. It's the first car I bought as a joint decision with my long term partner. It was with me through a stressful job redundancy, and then 2 years of commuting to new a job that I HATED but had to stay in while saving for a mortgage. It helped me move into my first home. It took us on many many holidays and it was still here when me and my partner eventually went our separate ways.

I've never experienced such an emotional attachment to a vehicle before. I guess it's just like an old friend...They aren't perfect and you put up with their faults but they'll always be there for you when you need them most.

It's being replaced with an 07 S40 T5 R-design with much worse spec and worse build quality, but much more modern looking. I guess we all have to move on at some point. My S60 will be up for sale on here soon I imagine.

Last edited by T5R92011; Jun 22nd, 2018 at 12:08.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 12:10   #2
S60RDesign

Why are you replacing it for a car you don't seem to like? Has the S60 got any big problems? I had the original S60 too, one of the best cars I've had
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 12:56   #3
biggbn
I've Been Banned

In same boat mate, feel your pain
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 13:09   #4
Cookeh
Premier Member

Felt the same about my very first car, a Toyota Corolla of all things. Had it for two years and really struggled to sell it - in fact I'm not ashamed to admit I was welling up a little when it was being loaded onto the tran'sporter.

Thing is you can always form new bonds with your new car and you don't know whats in store with it. My replacement was a 95 850 T5... nowhere near as reliable but just so much fun and so capable. So I'm making the same memories as before (road trips, visiting new places etc) whilst also adding new memories (firsts with regards to car DIYs, learning how to drive a turbo car, first breakdown etc).

That being said, if your S60 does everything you need it to do why bother selling it? Better the devil you know etc.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 15:35   #5
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

I'm struggling to work out why you're selling - the T5 will surely be more expensive to run and you also don't seem to like it. Wouldn't the T5 have most of the same quirks? Just without the big boot, seats and quality?

In your position I'd give the T5 back and keep the S60.

There's no replacement for personal attachment.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 16:10   #6
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerPLoD View Post
There's no replacement for personal attachment.
So true!
Be it a car or a partner!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 20:31   #7
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

keep it. Do you really NEED a more expensive set of wheels ? Unless theres something wrong with it of course.
Are you simply trying to keep up with the Joneses ?

People have flash motors for 3 reasons imho
1 - company car, no-one in their right mind stumps up serious dosh
2 - insecurity - a need to prove to himself what a big man he is
3 - genuine enjoyment and enthusiasm. Look at the lads in Halfrauds carpark.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 20:48   #8
Dippydog
Premier Member

Having owned many cars over the years[all of them cheap]I've never formed an attachment to any of them[liked them yes but attached?no] I've just got rid of them when they became more costly to keep than I was prepared to pay or simply to give something else a try,that is until my present Omega on which I've spent far more than I should have and would have were it not for the fact that it's the last car Maureen and I ever went anywhere in together before she passed away.What price sentimentality?Having said that even given the money and the will to spend it I wouldn't buy a car much newer than the Omega is[18yrs old] as I don't like most of them and they're all full of stuff I don't want or need in a car e.g. why would I need to be able to connect to the internet when I'm driving?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 21:19   #9
57RKL

Can't part with any of my three old Volvos and its a bit of a problem. None of them cost much to buy and they're all lovely in different ways. Its a ridiculous problem to have but I sold a motorbike about 5 years ago and have regretted it ever since. I don't want to regret another. Only one of them has been driven in the last two years and storage space is very tight. Feel like I need some hoarding type therapy.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 21:21   #10
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Having owned many cars over the years[all of them cheap]I've never formed an attachment to any of them[liked them yes but attached?no] I've just got rid of them when they became more costly to keep than I was prepared to pay or simply to give something else a try,that is until my present Omega on which I've spent far more than I should have and would have were it not for the fact that it's the last car Maureen and I ever went anywhere in together before she passed away.What price sentimentality?Having said that even given the money and the will to spend it I wouldn't buy a car much newer than the Omega is[18yrs old] as I don't like most of them and they're all full of stuff I don't want or need in a car e.g. why would I need to be able to connect to the internet when I'm driving?
Sorry to hear about your other half.

I agree completely about what you said regarding your car. Part of the reason I bought a 240 over anything else was because my late grandfather owned several before cancer took him (though his last car was a 1990's Astra automatic).

My old barge will never be worth anything close to what I've spent restoring it. Could I have gotten a more comfy car for that amount of money? A faster car? A cheaper car to run? A more showy car? With more kit? More toys? All of the above? Of course I could.

But you can't put a price on emotional attachment. And there's no replacement for it.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote