Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery problem?

Views : 49072

Replies : 126

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 14:00   #1
tomto147

Default Battery problem?

Hi guys,

today in the morning my XC60 (2 months old) was found "dead" in my garage, after standing there for a bit over week time with no milage done. The battery was completely drained and I had to call Volvo Assistance to help me start the engine. I am sure that no interior lights were on during this time and the car was properly closed. The only thing that I left inside was my iPod connected to USB.

Do you think this small toy could cause the battery to drain completely?

Tom.
tomto147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 14:25   #2
Wildoskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomto147 View Post
Hi guys,

today in the morning my XC60 (2 months old) was found "dead" in my garage, after standing there for a bit over week time with no milage done. The battery was completely drained and I had to call Volvo Assistance to help me start the engine. I am sure that no interior lights were on during this time and the car was properly closed. The only thing that I left inside was my iPod connected to USB.

Tom.
I would be suprised if the USB could drain the battery but am no expert.

I had a similar issue with my previous car (Freelander 2), about two years ago, I returned to the car after about 4 days to find out it was dead, so dead I could not even open the doors (nothing was conncted to the car and all doors were closed, no lights on etc). Landrover assit came out and got it started (battery was completley drained). Local dealer had car for a day to try and determine the fault which in the end related to a faulty tailgate switch. It seemed odd to me that a swicth could cause such a drain but they assured me that was the problem and I bever had the problems again
XC60 D5 215 AWD Auto R-Des Lux Nav, Inscr Chrystal White, Off black. Driver Supp, Winter Illum, Security, Park assist, Prem sound, Dark glass, Rear seat heat, Stearing wheel heat, Panoramic roof, On Call, Rear park camera, Front camera, Gear Paddles
Wildoskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 14:31   #3
scooter79

I have found with my v70 when i bought it i had a battery problem i don't do alot of miles a year maybe 1500-2000 miles so there was days i didn't use it and would have the same problem so i replaced the battery thinking that was it but after alot of research online and spoken to a mechanic friend he said because volvo are armed to the teeth they can drain batteries after a few days especially if they are fully armed and not driven for days so i went out and bought one of them solar chargers and stuck if in the rear window
scooter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 16:25   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have left my car (XC60) at the airport for 3 weeks and it has started with no issues - and that is with the full alarm system running. I used to leave the v70 there for extended periods, longest was 6 weeks and the car always started without any issues - the handbrake wasn't as keen to release once, I suspect that was my fault as it had pulled it on a bit hard

The battery should not drain in such a short time - several months yes, but in a couple of days, no way - and I am sure that the USB and power sockets are switched off when you switch off the ignotion (except the boot power socket), therefore I don't see them as causing the issue either.

Get Volvo to check it out.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 22:46   #5
tomto147

So now I have double checked it... it was not the iPod to drain the battery. The power supply to USB port is beeing cut off when I stop the engine and open the door. There is now sign of charging battery on iPod screen. So it was not that. I'm sure its not normal to drain the battery in one week, I would understand a period of over 1 month but not a week. Will investige in this matter and let you know.

Thanks for all your hints.
Tom.

Quote:
Hi guys,

Tom.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomto147 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 13:14   #6
XC60KEV
Master Member

Quote:
So now I have double checked it... it was not the iPod to drain the battery. The power supply to USB port is beeing cut off when I stop the engine and open the door. There is now sign of charging battery on iPod screen. So it was not that. I'm sure its not normal to drain the battery in one week, I would understand a period of over 1 month but not a week. Will investige in this matter and let you know.

Thanks for all your hints.
Tom.
I've noticed that you need the ignition on to charge from the 12V socket in the front which is fair enough. You can however play the radio/CD/USB without the ignition on or key in at all. If an IPod or USB stick is in the USB socket and car is switched off I would imagine this would charge/read it but only as long as the radio was on. Does the radio cut out after a certain amount of time?

It does seem strange.......
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 16:02   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj5cott View Post
I've noticed that you need the ignition on to charge from the 12V socket in the front which is fair enough. You can however play the radio/CD/USB without the ignition on or key in at all. If an IPod or USB stick is in the USB socket and car is switched off I would imagine this would charge/read it but only as long as the radio was on. Does the radio cut out after a certain amount of time?

yep - phone, radio, usb everything cuts aff after about 5 mins
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 22:41   #8
tomto147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj5cott View Post

It is true what you are saying but unless you open driver's door. When ignition is off and you open the door then radio, nav and everything is off. Ther is no power in USB and 12v sockets.

And by the way there is a safety radio switch off after I think 30min of playing without ignition on and with driver's door closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomto147 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:52   #9
PP1098

Yeap exactly the same here. Brand new XC60 drained battery in 3 days (just came back from dealer for SRS Airbag message problem). no lights left on, nothing. Also another guy here had the same with exaclty same model. In his case they blaimed a fan which stays on in case you leave children in car... go figure

They changed the battery and looks ok now. They blaimed a faulty batch of batteries (maybe.. think so.. most probably).

Interesting thing is that SRS message no longer appears (without them doing sth really)..Not sure if related

You are not the only one which means you probably havent done sth wrong.

P

Last edited by PP1098; Oct 14th, 2010 at 13:08.
PP1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PP1098 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 11:12   #10
Afirmo

Default I have the same problem ...

I have the same problem three times already.
I bought the XC60 end of July but due to holiday I only used one month after.
And the battery was completely death. The second and third time on September and October and after 4 ou 5 days not using the Volvo.
The dealer says that is my fault because I'm not using the car offen ...
I complained to Belgium Volvo representative and I'm waiting for a reply.
I will keep you posted but for sure that I will need a new battery.
Cheers.
Afirmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Afirmo For This Useful Post: