Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

safety Recall

Views : 3599

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2013, 14:51   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
It would appear the problems were there before the migration. My own car was a 54plate D5 which started chewing through aux belts and tensioners. That can't be blamed on Ford assembly 3 years later.
People were complaining of cam belt failures before 2007.

Problems before 2007 were very rare , not after though hence the 2 recalls and 3 different types of tensioner tried to cure it .
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 23:23   #22
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

In honesty though I don't see Volvo doing anything about it, what is the point the D5 is near the end of it's life and probably at a hunch it is cheaper to continue replacing these belts than do a complete re-design.

It could also be a supplier issue mind.

Oh and I am no 23 year old designer from Ford...ha!
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 23:32   #23
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Nowhere near the end of its life in cars and certainly not in marine diesels - it will be still be around in cars for the next 15 (and probably many more) years and as the standard workhorse engine for many marine craft and marine people are not known for changing in anywhere near the same timeline as cars. It is also very popular in plant.
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 23:32   #24
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
In honesty though I don't see Volvo doing anything about it, what is the point the D5 is near the end of it's life and probably at a hunch it is cheaper to continue replacing these belts than do a complete re-design.

Might be cheaper for Volvo, but what about the customer?...
more money for the service dept eh!!!
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 23:36   #25
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Nowhere near the end of its life in cars and certainly not in marine diesels - it will be still be around in cars for the next 15 (and probably many more) years and as the standard workhorse engine for many marine craft and marine people are not known for changing in anywhere near the same timeline as cars. It is also very popular in plant.
Is for Volvo Cars in production terms though...

Probably is more money for the service department and maybe the odd recall, but if Volvo had wanted to get it right they would of done so a long time ago I think...I mean this has been going on near enough 7 years...
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 23:52   #26
GMcL
0's and 1's

This is what I was really questioning.

It's easy to say Ford did Volvo wrong, Ford are rubbish blah blah blah. They've been gone since 2010, if there was a real issue or if Geely/Volvo saw it as a real issue it would have been rectified. It hasn't been so it's either a non-issue or, it's a nice revenue generator for parts sales and dealers workshops.

Either way Ford have long since gone so how can it still be a Ford issue ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 23:59   #27
Ninja59

Because ford changed it and ford still manufacture (if my understanding is correct) the 5 cylinder engines. Where as the new VEA is all in house.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 00:01   #28
GMcL
0's and 1's

If it's wrong and you as a customer are suffering as a result, you take steps to solve it or do you just accept any old crap that will have your name on it ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 09:32   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post

They redesigned the 2007 ford tensioner , that was better but still gave problems so redesigned the cylinder block casting to take a hydraulic tensioner and apparantly thats no good either ! so it seems they are changing it at 36000 or 54000 miles on service now .. as i said from the beginning to all those 23 year old computer screen designers , use the 240 or 850 tensioner .. if anyone has one and strips one down they will see why i say this .. look at a rubbish crimped ford one and you can see why they can ( not always ) fail . We are not talking about mass failure here , just the percentage failure is far too high . How many fail ? only volvo know that but maybe one in 2000 , and how many of those are down to not being changed when scheduled ?
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 18:53   #30
DiscoBoy

Question Same issue?

Hi, been looking for clues online as to what might be causing a noise issue on my 08 C30 D5:
1. Whining noise on cold start.
2. Disappears after about 3mins driving.
3. Not evident on starting when engine warmed.
4. Seems to be getting louder over time!

Is this indicative of the aux belt problem? I took it to my local Volvo garage (where it's been serviced for last 2yrs) and they had no ideas, but I was unable to leave it long enough to completely cool before testing.

Has 75k on clock btw, full Volvo history. Any ideas? And does anyone know the likely bill for a Volvo dealer fix?
Thanks.