Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 147778

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2018, 11:03   #181
Clogs
Clogs

Default Near side door mirror

The same happened tp me a year ago, but the metal had sheared so I had to get a complete replacement electric mirror from Scandix which has a black cover, not the same colour as the car. That was cheaper than Volvo dealer's discounted price. The existing coloured cover tabs don't line up with the slots... so now one side's black and the other burgundy.

You can get a mirror glass on its own (the driver's side on was shattered like yours by someone driving past while my car was parked) and it will just need a gentle push into place to get it to click in.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 21:04   #182
Dippydog
Premier Member

Managed to get a leaking Radiator,so bought a new one for £60 so that's a job for this weekend.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 22:29   #183
SwedishBus

Default Failed seat recliner motor

I stripped the motor out for my V70 yesterday; a very easy job that is similar to Robert's video on YouTube, but not exactly as his 850 would depict it.

The V70 has the recliner motor around the manual square bar that runs across the width of the seat - the bar that would normally have the seat recliner knob screwed onto the end. For the V70 electric seat, this knob is missing, and the bar just has a flange-nut secured to each end. The motor appears remote on the 850 in Robert's video, but is secured to the side of the seat backrest by a single screw and has the square bar passing through its gearbox.

The motor itself is straightforward to strip and repair. Mine turned-out (as expected) to just have a dirty commutator segment or two, and the brush-box was a bit sticky in operation. After cleaning the parts up, the motor (and gearbox) are smooth and reliable, so I hope to get the parts back into the car when the weather goes back to summer-mode up here.....

If anyone is interested, I could post a few pictures of the seat disassembly. You have to remove a tiny bit more trim than expected, as the cable for the motor is trapped by the material passing under the back of the seat cushion (and secured with hog-rigs under the seat).
The Following User Says Thank You to SwedishBus For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 00:26   #184
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBus View Post
If anyone is interested, I could post a few pictures of the seat disassembly. You have to remove a tiny bit more trim than expected, as the cable for the motor is trapped by the material passing under the back of the seat cushion (and secured with hog-rigs under the seat).
Yes please...I need to repair both front seats (drivers forward/reverse and passenger backrest) on our LHD V70 and, as the car is located in Poland, I could do with as much advice as possible on the repair. Maybe you could start/build another thread on the subject?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 23:58   #185
SwedishBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Yes please...I need to repair both front seats (drivers forward/reverse and passenger backrest) on our LHD V70 and, as the car is located in Poland, I could do with as much advice as possible on the repair. Maybe you could start/build another thread on the subject?
I'll start another thread. I have a few photos already, but I'll need to take the rest as I continue to reassemble. There is one slight problem I need to resolve; I have a couple of "bonus springs" to reattach into the back of the seat, which nobody seems to directly address in any videos - doh!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to SwedishBus For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 20:23   #186
Dippydog
Premier Member

Put new radiator on the V70...……...only took 7hrs everything was rusted/seized a couple[the top two fan cowl screws needed the heads drilling off as trying to unfasten them sheared the torx bit]the two bolts below these also for the fan cowl just sheared.the only thing that came undone as it should was the bottom hose jubilee clip!!!Still it's done now all bled up so no air locks and best of all no more leak
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 07:02   #187
Richard_TD
Master Member

After two attempts to get the eBay seller to send me the nuts and bolts that were pictured in the listing and ending up with two wheel bearings without them I decided that life was too short and reused the old bits.

My cunning plan to do it without removing the hub carrier was scuppered when I saw that the CV boot was split, but other than that the job went well enough until I tried to refit the brake disc.

I have messaged the seller with a suggestion that they send me the item in the listing. The listing does clearly state that it is for five bolt wheels, and the application list has all the later models in it.

On the plus side, my proposed short cut did work for refitting the old bearing so it won't be too hard to sort out in the unlikely event that somebody manages to send me the right part.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 20:01   #188
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Gave my 1997 V70 T5 a well deserved service today, all easy stuff.

I decided to flush out some of the old auto gearbox fluid too, I disconnected the top pipe where it goes into the oil cooler, put a short length of hosepipe on it to drain it into a bucket and started the engine on tickover until oil stopped coming out. You get about 3 litres out this way. I put back in the same amount that came out, checking it accurately with the box hot at the end of the exercise. I did this twice, taking it for a run in between, all is good. Well worth doing to prolong the life of the box, and it does seem to change more smoothly and have a bit more "bite" if you know what I mean. A good feeling, knowing that at least most of the oil in there is now new.

Happy days!
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 21:07   #189
daniel mossey

Hi there whats the make of oil for this gearbox.
Regands
Dan
daniel mossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 21:15   #190
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I understand Mobil 3309 ATF is suitable, of course there will be a Volvo original spec tho'.
I'm still to do mine mine, the changes are a bit ''jerky', my plan was to go Mobil....
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote