Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Extended warranty

Views : 2186

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2017, 19:23   #1
Lincolnite

Default Extended warranty

Does anyone have any idea of what the costs are, the website says ask dealer about pricing.

Ta
Lincolnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 19:26   #2
spaceman2844

I took out the Volvo year 4 extended warranty after my 3 year warranty finished on my XC60 - £395 for the year.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 19:49   #3
K5 Gus

I think they do a monthly payment option from memory - I didn't take it up, but the figure of £36 or 38pm rings a bell
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 19:50   #4
NigelDay
Premier Member

It may depend upon the current mileage and projected for the extra years.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 19:54   #5
Considered1
Premier Member

This is what I took with Mill Volvo Harrogate earlier this year
I think different dealers can set their own prices.

They basically had a plan A and a Plan B
Plan A only available for vehicles up to I think it was 60,000 miles and 5 yrs old
So as my car was 3 yrs old and had 40k miles I took a one year which would be plan A on the basis that next year I could extend a further 3 years still on plan A if I kept to below 60k miles before taking it.

I assume the car needs to be under manufacturers original warranty at the time you take out the plan, theirs is with CarCare
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017 Mill Warranty prices.pdf (1.02 MB, 49 views)

Last edited by Considered1; Nov 19th, 2017 at 20:00.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 00:01   #6
Ian W XC60

Just been researching this for my own XC60 and found this site helpful:

www.continuemywarranty.co.uk/volvo

It's the Car Care Plan official Volvo Extended Warranty. You can get a quote, read the actual policy wording to see what's covered and more importantly what isn't. Then if you decide to go for it you can purchase online. As previously stated you can pay monthly but be aware it's a monthly policy and they can increase the price by giving 30 days notice whereas if you pay up front the policy is for 12 months.

I also considered and compared it with Warranty Direct, in summary Volvo covers a few more parts (e.g. Lifting struts (as in electric tailgate), Bi-Xenon & LED bulbs etc) but does exclude "fair/normal" wear and tear which WD don't. As my car has covered sub 25K miles the only things I can see that applying to are frictional materials which neither cover. Both have redress to the Motor & Financial Services Ombudsman schemes if you have an issue with a claim being unreasonably refused and both are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme if the insurers go bust.

Price wise Volvo was slightly cheaper than WD for franchised dealer repairs - £395 for a FWD D4 extending to 4yrs sub 60K miles.

Honest John recommend Motor Easy but it's not an insured scheme so if they go t1ts up, so does your money. No reason to think they will but neither did I think that about Monarch Airlines. Otherwise it also seems to offer very comprehensive cover at a reasonable price.

Bottom line is that it depends on your mileage and what you consider best for you, no right answer IMO.
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 00:48   #7
NigelDay
Premier Member

If Volvo covers Bi-Xenons, but others do not, I would steer towards Volvo. I had a Volvo warranty claim for a leaking Bi-Xenon on my 2009 V50. It was a manufacturing defect, not 'damage'. The bill was over £1000 for the whole unit as water damage included the self-levelling and 'bending' mechanism.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 09:22   #8
Considered1
Premier Member

My dealer did give me the warranty booklet, many pages covering everything, to look at before purchase. Same booklet was given at point of sale. This appears different and much more info than on the policy doc from that `Volvo website above, although I haven’t done a quote to see if it generates anything extra.

Does it mention plan A and plan B
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 16:26   #9
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I ended up going with MotorEasy - finally got them down to £660 for two years, payable over 4 quarterly payments in the first year.
"Plan A" cover with labour up to £120ph, includes 'infotainment' (no idea why some seem to exclude that or charge more - pretty intrinsic to most cars these days!)

I naturally expect that anything that does expire on Stormy will find itself the topic of a tiny exclusion cause, but then I expect that from any insurance/warranty - they were helpful enough at explaining things when I got it, and it was rather less that the Volvo (& WD) price at the time.

I'm mostly secretly hoping that having taken the warranty out, nothing will now expire (like when you take a brolly and therefore the rain stays away....)
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 18:10   #10
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnite View Post
Does anyone have any idea of what the costs are, the website says ask dealer about pricing.

Ta
have a look at Warrantywise...they've got several schemes and you can also choose the hourly labour rate. Worth a look....