Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

loud exhaust

Views : 3961

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2017, 19:08   #1
jack taylor
Master Member

Question loud exhaust

Hi, I have a 1998 V70, 2.5, 20v. A new Cat was fitted last month and yesterday a new Klarius silencer was put on. Immediately I noticed the exhaust noise inside the car was louder than the old silencer and outside the car the exhaust noise is coming from the silencer and not from the rear. The pipe connections seem fine with no "blowing". the baffles in the old silencer were shot yet it was quieter than this Klarius. Has anyone had any problems with Klarius or any ideas as to why this should be noisey. thanks jack
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 09:05   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

From memory I can't say as I've ever had a Klarius exhaust on any car so can't comment on their quality/noise etc. However a thought off the top of my head which may or may not be a factor[others feel free to comment]your old cat and silencer will have been bedded in with use-coked up a bit if you want to look at it that way-whereas your new items by comparison will be squeaky clean inside,so perhaps a while of bedding in through use will quieten things down?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 10:18   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi, I have a 1998 V70, 2.5, 20v. A new Cat was fitted last month and yesterday a new Klarius silencer was put on. Immediately I noticed the exhaust noise inside the car was louder than the old silencer and outside the car the exhaust noise is coming from the silencer and not from the rear. The pipe connections seem fine with no "blowing". the baffles in the old silencer were shot yet it was quieter than this Klarius. Has anyone had any problems with Klarius or any ideas as to why this should be noisey. thanks jack
any aftermarket exaust will be louder they are cheaper for a reason . thin metal less baffles . less packing ect . do u have the centere resonator box fitted? you will get used to it but wont get any quieter .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 15:12   #4
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Simmy, Thanks for coming back. I don't think it has a resonator box. Working from the engine; there is the Cat then the silencer just near to the rear axle and then the pipe continues to the tail pipe.
What I don't understand is why this new box is so much louder than the old one which rattled like a box of nails. The new exhaust does "resonate" within the cabin.
Klarius is apparently a well made box according to google searches. Perhaps I have just got a dud. I purchased on ebay uk from a seller with 99.9% feedback over several years and thousands of sales.
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 17:03   #5
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

as previously mentioned, its the thickness of the metal and lack of deadening layers inside that make it louder. OE Volvo exhausts are fantastic at being quiet and surviving the years, but thats about it; rather beefy walls, not very light. We arent saying the replacement is crap, just that its nowhere near the quality that a new OE one would be. And lets be honest, when did you last buy something new off eBay and get a 10/10 item?

Dunc

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DunkinBiskits For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 15:05   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Yep. I put a new exhaust on my old V70 and another on SWMBO’s S70. Both were fine, and both were louder than the original.

But neither was a problem and MOTs were passed without any issue.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 15:53   #7
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Jack, many thanks for that. I think I have learned a lesson in that OE is the best way with most parts. regards jack.
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 18:19   #8
walshy

Up until a couple of years ago, Klarius was equivalent to oe spec as we used to stock them. They went bust and restarted a while later but as a smaller concern.
We stock a couple of exhausts throughout the company but the quality is nothing like the older ones
walshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 03:36   #9
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Walshy, most interesting, thanks. I am already in contact with Klarius who have of course assured me of the quality of their products. Your info will come in handy. thanks again.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 16:19   #10
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Walshy, I emailed Klarius and passed onto them the info which you kindly provided. They didn't comment but have today dispatched to me in spain a new silencer free of charge. I am wondering whether they have different qualities of exhausts as it will be pointless in sending me what I already have.
I can soon tell by the weight of the new silencer. Should this be an improvement on the one I already have then I would say "result". Thanks again Walshy for the helpful info. jack