Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740 Trivia.

Views : 13936

Replies : 230

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2018, 09:55   #1
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Volvo 740 Trivia.

Paint colour came up in a recent thread so I thought I would add some additional information to my comment.

The 740 was launched (in the UK) at the London Motorfair in late 1984 for the 1985 model year (this would be on B prefix index number). Paint colours offered numbered fourteeen, yes FOURTEEN. Seven metallics and seven solids.

By the 1986 model year colours were reduced to five metallics and five solids - with deletions from the 1985 palette and additions for 1986.

I'm happy to list colours if needed.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 13:45   #2
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

It'd be nice to know - especially if you can find pics of the colours!
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 13:50   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Would be good to see all the different colours available through the time the 740 was current and also if there were any colours that were 740 only or 760 only.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 14:19   #4
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

I'll consider that a request - see what I can do !

Jon.
Old May 21st, 2018, 15:01   #5
Delta66

I would like to see more colours back. Most cars are black, white or a grey/silver in between.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 15:16   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
I would like to see more colours back. Most cars are black, white or a grey/silver in between.
While that is true, fashion trends have a lot to do with it. As far as i know, a reasonably wide choice has always been available but because people don't see those colours as being "the latest trend" they haven't bought cars in that colour.

Although not a Volvo colour, Charleston Green (affectionately referred to as "Snot Green" in Rover circles) is a stunning colour and looks particularly good on the Rover 800 models. However it was never seen as a "trendy" colour, not pushed by salesmen and as such, i've only ever seen two in that colour.

It's a very similar colour to my Silver-green (code 403) 760 GLE but more green/turquoise, again, Silver-Green isn't a widely seen colour.

It's all down to the fashionistas who decide in their ivory towers what colours are going to be sold, whether it's cars, shirts, shoes, carpets, curtains or whatever else.

The advertising bods also have a grimy paw in the proceedings, just watched an advert for a new Seat hatchback in red - it looks great in red! That's precisely what the ad people want me to think in the hope i'll rush out and order one! I won't but there will be a higher proportion of people buying them in red than if the as showed it in blue, green, orange, gold, yellow or any other colour.

They will also have picked the colour the car looks best in as part of there advertrickery - new word i just made up but pretty apt i think!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 19:53   #7
volvo always
Premier Member

My 2006 lexus IS 220d is Burgundy and it looks nice but shows all the dust!

The 740 snow race has a 740 in turquoise that looks great!

My 1986 GLE 740 was silver.
My dad had a 240 in light blue that looked great.

My dad also had a green rover vitesse turbo. Lovely auto and leather and even the AC worked. Around a P or V reg if memory right. Written off by LHD lorry driver.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 20:32   #8
bob12
bob12

We all like a bit of trivia Mr P. Note your other recent thread had a good response.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 08:31   #9
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default 740 Launch colours.

Here is the colour palette for the launch of the 740, first launched as a saloon (estate was to follow the year after) in late 1984 for the 1985 model year. The earliest 740 will be on a B suffix and the easiest way to identify an early saloon is it's lack of rear seat headrests - from the following model year (1986) saloons had them

Hope the attachment works !

Jon.

N.B it appears I've had a software update and when I scan a document it appears to convert it automatically into a Pdf - or am I missing something ? Perhaps the only alternative is to photograph documents ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 740_Launch_Colours.pdf (927.9 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Prufrock; May 22nd, 2018 at 08:35. Reason: addition (N.B)
Old May 22nd, 2018, 10:00   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Three different reds at launch! I once owned what I now believe to be a very early saloon ('C' registered), finished in red. It was a metallic, so I imagine it was the Red Wood Metallic (175), and it had a beige pin-stripe cloth interior. I cannot for the life of me recall whether it had RHR, or not. I do seem to remember that it had been fitted with an aftermarket centre brake light however. Where the early cars lacking this from the factory, perhaps? My 'D' 1987 745 was fitted with the factory item.

Regards, John.