Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740 Trivia.

Views : 13940

Replies : 230

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 18:52   #131
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2417162

Not sure i agree on the load space between a 740 and a 240 being that different, had a 240 company estate for a while and i reckon that was about the same as the 740s - there might be something in it but not much and obviously not worth arguing over. If you'd said a 740 (or 240) and a V70/XC70 then yes, big difference. My neighbour before i moved here had an XC70 and was constantly coming round to mine to ask if i minded doing a tip run for him because he couldn't fit it in his!

[/QUOTE]

In terms of outright carrying capacity, I think you are right, 'Laird Scooby'.

Having also owned both 245s and 745s, my subjective assessment is that there is indeed little difference between them. By virtue of its asymmetrically split rear seats, the 7 series loadspace is however much more versatile. When Linda's Mum gave up driving, we often had her mobility scooter in the back with Dorothy sitting on the single rear seat, something that would have been impossible in the 245.

I further agree with you regarding the V70, it is a palpably much smaller space than either of the earlier cars, although it does of course retain the convenience of the split rear seats.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 20:44   #132
volvo always
Premier Member

I have had all 2 cars a 1986 740 GLE estate B230K. M46

A 1989 240 GLT auto Estate.

I purchased the 740 in 2002 for £425 and in the 5 years of ownership had the nearside out rigger patch welded. a 50mm square patch.
I loved the split folding rear seats which I missed on the 240.
The 740 was my first car and upgraded the sunroof to electric and replaced the chrome rings/wheels to virgo alloys. The chrome rings/wheels were fitted to my dads Blue 1980 244.

The 240 I bought in late 2009 and still own it. It's a good car but it's nemesis is rust. I have had the nearside outrigger welded twice and drivers side once.
The nearside door sill needs welding as rust holed.

Ok it's an older car now than the 740 I had but to be totally honest when I got my 1996 940 LPT the 940 is the better car than the 240. More comfortable, virtually no rust, quiet, So as the 940 is an updated 740, then the 740 must be better.
The 740 heater fan is far easier to change than the awful location on the 240.

One thing I love the engine in the 240, the B230E. Also used in the 740. Very reliable and a good match to the auto gearbox.

If I remember right the 740 had a wider tailgate opening and lower opening than the 240. The 240 narrower opening but a bit taller.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Jun 22nd, 2018 at 20:49.
volvo always is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 21:23   #133
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My 740 load space was very slightly slightly shorter but it might have been slightly wider, than the 240.

I was advised that apparently crucially a harp does not fit in the 740....please don't tell anyone that I am still harping on about it.

EDIT P.S. Oh yes the split rear seat in my 740 was very welcome. I had overlooked that.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jun 22nd, 2018 at 21:57.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 22:58   #134
57RKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
My 740 load space was very slightly slightly shorter but it might have been slightly wider, than the 240.

I was advised that apparently crucially a harp does not fit in the 740....please don't tell anyone that I am still harping on about it.

EDIT P.S. Oh yes the split rear seat in my 740 was very welcome. I had overlooked that.

I checked the differences out some time ago think the 240 was 75 sq ft and the 740 was 74 sq ft. The 240 is longer and higher, the 740 wider. I read that the 240 was beloved by antique dealers because the height was better for getting old chesterfields in.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 12:16   #135
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

The harp and the chesterfield illustrate my little point. It's what you need to carry, not the small difference in size. The 240 is also good for s single bed, or for a full size chest freezer. The 740 might manage those as well, I never tried.

In fuller expression of my truly unbiased opinion re load space, there might well be loads where the 740 excels above the 240. I generally found my 740 a sturdy load carrier, when I was moving sound and projection kit around England and Wales working alone running day conferences. But the shorter 740 load space made it tricky getting the seriously good projection screen in the load area.

Swings and roundabouts with galvanic protection.

Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 12:35   #136
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The 740 estate has happily swallowed a double mattress (but so did a Rover 800 saloon) and various sofas but you can gain a few inches extra space in the 7x5 by removing the rear headrests and seat cushions - once lifted up vertically, they can be lifted out easily. The backrest comes out easily too, remove the "R" clip from the collars on the inboard side of the backrests where the hinge is, pop the outer pin out out and slide the outer edge forward and remove the inner end from the hinge pin. Replace the "R" clip in the collar for safe keeping, it expands when it's refitted so no need to worry about it anymore.

Also in my 765, i've shifted an Ikea 3 seater sofa with loads of room left. Granted it was disassembled into the back, base, sides and cushions but is well over 6'6" when assembled. Also shifted a DFS 2-seater recliner sofa which had to be carried in the reclined position due to the height of it.

As you say, swings and roundabouts on what you actually need to carry but more importantly, if choosing one as a load lugger, how often you need to carry stuff that would for example only go in a 240 - generally speaking the 7xx are more fuel-efficient than the 2xx so is the trade off worth it?
Against a V70, i'd say no, i'll keep the 7x5 even though it's juicier, against the 240, i'd still keep the 7x5 as the amount of times i'd need to move something that would only go in a 2x5 wouldn't justify the extra fuel costs in between.

Really is a case of "each to their own" and what suits an individual.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 15:38   #137
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Exactly. It is....what suits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 21:17   #138
baggy798
🤍💙💗

The longest/widest thing I've transported is a few 8x4 sheets of plasterboard in a 7/9. Stuck out the back a foot or so but the weight of the tailgate and a bit of string between the latch and wiper held them. Don't think a 240 is wide enough to do that.

Heaviest things were a cast iron bath and about 300kg of concrete slabs, although not at the same time! It made the rear nearly sit on the floor like this:

Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 21:39   #139
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That reminded me of this :

This was what was in it :

................. and .............. breathe!

No idea on weight, probably about 3-400kg, it grunted a bit going up hills though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 10:51   #140
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

It was entitled to grunt a bit going up hills! ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: