Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SmartTop for C70

Views : 816

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:44   #1
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Default SmartTop for C70

I’m sure there’s a thread about this, but I can’t find it, hence a new thread.

So, if someone has a link to any previous thread, could you post it, please, alternatively, anyone have any experience of using and/or fitting a SmartTop to a C70?

I like the concept (it was standard on my SAAB 93 vert!), but at over £250, it’s a lot to spend if it doesn’t live up the the advert!

Thanks in advance

Malcolm
Old May 23rd, 2018, 18:04   #2
Sysyphus

Very happy I have mine... does everything it says on the tin: open and close roof and/or windows with the key fob... also has a setting to unlock doors automatically when you turn off the ignition.

It is a bit tricky to install: the roof module is hard to get at tucked in behind the carpet on the right wall of the boot, even less accessible if you have park-assist and/or satellite radio... makes awkward to remove the two multi-pin plugs that you have to plug into the supplied jumpers...

I did manage to bend a pin on one of the sockets on the CRM when installing mine... popped up a “roof maintenance required” error causing some significant anxiety and anguish for a few days before I had time to figure out what I had done. Luckily it was easy enough to bend back into place once I had figured out what I had done.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 04:47   #3
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Brilliant, many thanks, looks like it’s on the birthday list......
Old May 24th, 2018, 10:20   #4
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

You could try a PM to dme123, I think he also had one. Not sure if he is going to keep his C70 since the gearbox died, so the Smart-top might be available?

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Proghound For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 13:57   #5
philrocks

I have had mine fitted for about 2 years, and its extremely useful.

If fitting yourself, I would definitely recommend making sure you get a good connection with the scotch clips, or if possible actually solder the wires in. (if you are going to use the scotch clips, then strip the part of the cable it will be connected to, so you don't get any plastic sheathing causing an issue with contact.

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to philrocks For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 15:39   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrocks View Post
I have had mine fitted for about 2 years, and its extremely useful.

If fitting yourself, I would definitely recommend making sure you get a good connection with the scotch clips, or if possible actually solder the wires in. (if you are going to use the scotch clips, then strip the part of the cable it will be connected to, so you don't get any plastic sheathing causing an issue with contact.
never use scotchlocs they are alway prone to failiure strip and solder is a much better job
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 19:51   #7
Sysyphus

The install has been simplified these days - no scotch clips or soldering required anymore... just a dual-T harness supplied... remove two plugs from the Roof Module, plug them into the corresponding sockets in the harness, then put the plugs on the harness into the roof module
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2018, 15:12   #8
philrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysyphus View Post
The install has been simplified these days - no scotch clips or soldering required anymore... just a dual-T harness supplied... remove two plugs from the Roof Module, plug them into the corresponding sockets in the harness, then put the plugs on the harness into the roof module
Thats good, that makes it a much easier install!

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 07:04   #9
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Default Bitten the bullet!

Decided to go for it, and bought a SmartTop gizmo from PPCGB. Really brilliant service from them, and they gave me a bit of discount just because I asked......

As others have said, the hard part is getting to the connections, as the boot lining is not the most flexible of panels. Also, the process is not helped, I have to say, by the shortness of the SmartTop's loom, nor by having arthritis in my hand.

But it really is plug and play, and I’m looking forward now to lots more topless-inviting weather😎😎

Malcolm
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 21:01   #10
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Love it!

Not only operating the roof via the remote, but now with a single touch on the centre console switch, and the ignition can be switched off. No more sitting there for ages, finger on the button, not being able to do anything....

It’s also good to have the passenger side mirror drop down when reversing, returning automatically when the car's been going forward for a time, ie when it 'realises' the manoeuvring has finished.

Not tried closing the roof on the move yet, TBH I don’t think I will, with the complexity of the roof operation, I don’t want to risk twisting anything.

SmartTop worth the money? For me, yes, as several birthday gifts had been in cash, so not too hard on the credit card. Also, we’re about to get Mrs Baxlin a new car, so no grief there!

Last edited by Baxlin; Jun 23rd, 2018 at 21:04.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post: