Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

d5 twin turbo fuel volume problem cuts out

Views : 12323

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2018, 23:51   #1
MissSpentYouth

Default d5 twin turbo fuel volume problem cuts out

I recently bought a non running 2010 plate 205BHP twin turbo D5 V70 D5

The high pressure fuel pump had failed and sent a load of bits into the rail and wrecked the injectors.

I have installed a second hand high pressure pump, changed the fuel filter and fitted 5 second hand injectors and thoroughly cleaned out the rail and high pressure pipes.

The car now starts and runs fine however if you put your foot down as soon as the power starts to come on full chat it shuts down and will not restart on the first attempt but will on the second.

The reason the car shuts down is the ECM shuts down the fuel volume control valve fitted to the high pressure pump. If I monitor the signal on VIDA to the Fuel volume control valve I can see it shut off.

I have tried a second high pressure fuel pump with fuel volume control valve and exactly the same. Also done a leak back test on the injectors and they all seem OK and perfectly balanced.

I tried another car today albeit a 2011 D3 still a 5 pot engine with the same pump etc. Its fuel volume control valve signal was 60% no load dropping to 30% on full power. Were as mine is much lower about 40% no load dropping to 20% full power.

Trouble codes are -

ECM-P009116 - Fuel pressure Regulator 1 control circuit low, voltage below threshold
ECM-P000200 fuel volume control valve outside threshold value
ECM- P009022 Fuel pressure Regulator 1 control circuit open, signal to high
ECM - P000100 fuel volume control valve , open circuit
ECM - P008985 Fuel pressure regulator performance - signal above allowable range

I have very thoroughly tested the wiring between ECM and fuel volume control valve.

I am going to replace the rail pressure sensor next and check the delivery of fuel to the high pressure pump

I am fresh out of ideas any help much appreciated.

Looks to me like there is insufficient high pressure fuel flow to meet demand at high power, the fuel volume control valve has to open up beyond its threshold value to try and deliver it, then the ECM shuts it down.
MissSpentYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 10:17   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

If you have Vida, you'd be better following each fix path for each code and eliminate each possibility.
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 22:17   #3
MissSpentYouth

Thanks but I don't seem to be able to find the 'fix path' in VIDA whereabouts are they ?

I tried a different rail pressure sensor today made no difference.

Pretty sure my problem is related to fuel flow as if I put my foot down in a short space such as a car park it doesn't cut out even when I get up to full power as I have to instantly brake. However on the open road even at say half throttle once the power builds as the revs climb it cuts out at a much lower power output but longer duration.

My next plan is to hard wire the low pressure pump in the tank to run continuously. As I understand it it only comes on for 90 seconds when you start the car and then during peak loads ? could be wrong here.

I tried a delivery test on the fuel flow to the high pressure pump input when switching on the ignition and I seemed to get a good amount of fuel through.
Oddly the injector leak off pipes connect to the low pressure fuel flow pipe rather than the return pipe as you would expect, the return pipe comes out of the high pressure pump and is joined by a pipe from the fuel rail controlled by the rail pressure sensor before returning to the tank.

The value of the fuel control valve signal drops to about 15% under full load and I think this is the threshold value for the ECM to switch it off, I tried another car and it only dropped to 30%. Quite why mine is so low is a mystery to me ?

Any help much appreciated as I am stumped on this one
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 21:23   #4
MissSpentYouth

Can anyone advise me what flow rate I should expect at the low pressure inlet side of the high pressure fuel pump if I disconnect the pipe and collect the fuel with the ignition turned on ?
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 23:26   #5
MissSpentYouth

Just thought I should close this one out for anyone with the same problem in the future.

Problem was caused by a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor likely contaminated by the metal bits coming out of the high pressure pump when it failed.

I mentioned above that I had tried the rail pressure sensor already and it made no difference, that was the rail fuel pressure control valve on the gearbox end of the rail. The pressure sensor is on the cam belt end Doh!

It was reading low so due to the closed loop nature of the system the high pressure pump was having to over pressurise the rail to get the desired pressure reading from the faulty sensor.

When you put your foot down the high pressure pump could not sustain this high pressure at higher flow rates so a delta between nominal fuel pressure and actual fuel pressure stated to appear.

Once this delta exceeded a threshold the ECM shuts down the fuel pressure using the fuel volume control valve. resulting in complete loss of power.

The error messages from VIDA were very unhelpful in diagnosing this problem. Something like Nominal to Actual fuel pressure threshold exceeded would have been much better.

Last edited by MissSpentYouth; Jun 19th, 2018 at 23:29.
The Following User Says Thank You to MissSpentYouth For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 11:24   #6
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Good info, and thanks for closing out the thread!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 13:58   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSpentYouth View Post
The error messages from VIDA were very unhelpful in diagnosing this problem.
I'm sorry but what's unhelpful is your suggestion that Vida somehow hindered your efforts because if you'd followed Vida correctly as I suggested a couple of weeks ago, you'd have solved this more quickly.

You had an error code ECM P000200 and a possible source is a defective fuel pressure sensor along with others so it's simple elimination of possibilities.
Vida was actually telling you the answer not hindering you.

The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 18:55   #8
Frankd5vol

Default Same problems

Hi I’ve got the exact same codes as listed above. Changed fuel filter checked all wiring and fuses. Fitted a good 2nd hand.... injector
Pump, rail pressure sensor, regulator, pump volume control valve, 5 injectors.

And still cuts out the moment you accelerate.

Would you suggest the sensors are duff also ?

Pump runs for about 15 seconds. With ignition on.

Please help 2008 D5 S80 185hp
Frankd5vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 19:26   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSpentYouth View Post
Can anyone advise me what flow rate I should expect at the low pressure inlet side of the high pressure fuel pump if I disconnect the pipe and collect the fuel with the ignition turned on ?
you should have about 5 bar at all loads at that pipe from the tank pump when the engine is running. It should run for some seconds when you turn the ignition on .
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 22:36   #10
Bruce1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankd5vol View Post
Hi I’ve got the exact same codes as listed above. Changed fuel filter checked all wiring and fuses. Fitted a good 2nd hand.... injector
Pump, rail pressure sensor, regulator, pump volume control valve, 5 injectors.

And still cuts out the moment you accelerate.

Would you suggest the sensors are duff also ?

Pump runs for about 15 seconds. With ignition on.

Please help 2008 D5 S80 185hp

Hello there!
I've got the same problem as you. Have you fixed your car yet?
I only got 3,7 bar from the fuel pump in tank.
// Bruce (new member from Sweden)
Bruce1990 is offline   Reply With Quote