Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 700 series today ?

Views : 3732

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2018, 15:43   #11
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2412430...Back on to the actual thread subject though the postie has just delivered 5 cans of Smoke Grey window tint spray so that's the plan for my 760 today. [/QUOTE]

Just when I was going to put you on my Christmas card list ! Just about to change the plugs on mine, done the fuel filter (that's a cinch on a B230k). I fancy fitting this (see below), might be a bit of a faff though - the 745 came from the factory with one - useful item.

Jon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TempGuage.jpg (254.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 9th, 2018 at 15:47.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 16:05   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Just when I was going to put you on my Christmas card list ! Just about to change the plugs on mine, done the fuel filter (that's a cinch on a B230k). I fancy fitting this (see below), might be a bit of a faff though - the 745 came from the factory with one - useful item.

Jon.
The window tint is only from the B post back and is for a practical reason rather than just "pimping my ride".

Usually the dog sits in the front passenger seat as i need the back seats down for other reasons.

However at the tender age of 2 1/2, she's still very much a puppy so if she sees other dogs being walked and sometimes people just walking along (she thinks they've lost their dog so is trying to tell them) she gets a bit excited.

When she does she bounds into the back, is jumping up and down, barking and scrabbling with her paws at the trim and the glass.

Before i do the tailgate glass i need to play with the Electrocure as well as i have a few elephants that aren't working now on the HRW but the basic idea is with the extra tint, she's less likely to spot people and if she does, think they're further away.

That's the hope anyway. It should also keep the heat out of the car a bit if it's in the sun, making it more pleasant to get back into if it's been sat there a while.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 16:23   #13
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My local Shell has been at 149.9p/L for Nitro (98 octane) for some time now. It's on the Fiveways roundabout on the A11 so almost "motorway services status" in terms of location and cost.

I thought that was pretty bad until i saw you'd paid £149 a litre!

That's very £OUCH Bob especially from Morrisons! Sainsburys round my neck of the woods charged be 132.9p/L for Super Unleaded the other day, i won't run mine on anything other than the high octane stuff as it makes a difference on mine - enough to outweigh the extra cost.

It sounds like the voltmeter is heavily damped, might pay to use a digital multimeter on the battery with the engine running to confirm charging voltage though.
If you notice any charge light flickering or that it doesn't come on for some reason on switching to position 2 of the key (ignition only, not started yet) then it would be a good idea to find a replacement alternator.

Back on to the actual thread subject though the postie has just delivered 5 cans of Smoke Grey window tint spray so that's the plan for my 760 today.
That's a good result for you.

On my 240 the high octane stuff makes a positive difference. Doesn't outweigh the cost. But. I figure the difference means the engine is running better. So I use the high octane.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 16:44   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
That's a good result for you.

On my 240 the high octane stuff makes a positive difference. Doesn't outweigh the cost. But. I figure the difference means the engine is running better. So I use the high octane.
Considering my local Shell charges 132.9p/L for normal unleaded, yes.
On ordinary unleaded i get about 22mpg for general running about which is usually short runs. On Super Unleaded, i get about 26mpg so almost a 20% increase in economy.

Taking Shells figures, the V-Power Nitro is 144.9 and the ordinary unleaded is 132.9p/L so the good stuff is 12p/L more which is about 9% (by rough mental 'rithmetic) and a 20% increase in economy far outweighs a 9% increase in cost!

Let's put that a different way - if i put £20 of ordinary in at 132.9p/L that's 15.04L or (using 4.5L/gallon) 3.34 gallons at 22mpg = 73.57 miles.
On Super Unleaded, £20 gives 13.8L or 3.067 gallons which gives 79.75 miles which is about 8.4% further for the same money - don't forget it's less actual fuel hence the discrepancy between how much further i go on the money amount compared to the fuel quantity.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jun 9th, 2018 at 16:53.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 17:12   #15
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Considering my local Shell charges 132.9p/L for normal unleaded, yes.
On ordinary unleaded i get about 22mpg for general running about which is usually short runs. On Super Unleaded, i get about 26mpg so almost a 20% increase in economy.

Taking Shells figures, the V-Power Nitro is 144.9 and the ordinary unleaded is 132.9p/L so the good stuff is 12p/L more which is about 9% (by rough mental 'rithmetic) and a 20% increase in economy far outweighs a 9% increase in cost!

Let's put that a different way - if i put £20 of ordinary in at 132.9p/L that's 15.04L or (using 4.5L/gallon) 3.34 gallons at 22mpg = 73.57 miles.
On Super Unleaded, £20 gives 13.8L or 3.067 gallons which gives 79.75 miles which is about 8.4% further for the same money - don't forget it's less actual fuel hence the discrepancy between how much further i go on the money amount compared to the fuel quantity.
You are getting a seriously good result. I'm paying the extra for any benefit to the engine. You also get that benefit.

Win win for you. That's cushti.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 17:31   #16
psl
Master Member

swapped wheels and more cleaning, best way to spend a sat afternoon
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 17:42   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
You are getting a seriously good result. I'm paying the extra for any benefit to the engine. You also get that benefit.

Win win for you. That's cushti.
Maybe because mine is the "full fat" 170bhp (from the factory ) V6 and it was designed to run ordinary unleaded, hence the knock sensors. It's possible it does the same as my Rovers do and advance the timing for power/economy until it knocks then retards it slightly and that's why i'm getting the best of both worlds.
I did try water injection on it but couldn't get the right place and/or jet size so it didn't pull any water through. I know that gives other benefits besides improved power/economy in as much as it cools the inlet charge and also cleans the engine on the way.

Old Jun 10th, 2018, 05:38   #18
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Good for another 32 years !

Quote:
...Just about to change the plugs on mine,..
Jon.
Thought I had a set of plugs, didn't so I cleaned and gapped them, gaps were slightly wide and #1 plug was a little rich, other three spot one. Plugs are NGK (preferred) but resistor type so I'll change them.

However the leads are silicon cored, I prefer copper wire and have a set - Bougicord - on my 60k from new spares car so I'll fit those. Oils all good, still quite clear so no issues with the engine or gearbox (AW).

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 10th, 2018 at 06:16.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 11:51   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Plugs are NGK (preferred) but resistor type so I'll change them.

Jon.
Why change resistor type plugs and for what Jon?

Old Jun 10th, 2018, 14:06   #20
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Why change resistor type plugs and for what Jon?
They aren't a requirement on car that has little or no electronics*, as resistor plugs (guess you know this) are designed to eliminate electromagnetic interference - on those onboard systems.

*engine management, gps...

NGK resistor plugs have an R number, so I'll buy the non R type plugs. Plus, I've often had issues with resistor plugs...I'd always fit them to a modern for obvious reasons.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 10th, 2018 at 14:43.