Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

To Webasto or not to Webasto that is the question

Views : 1383

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2018, 20:31   #1
Natedog

Default To Webasto or not to Webasto that is the question

Hi, I’m looking for some straight up owners feedback on the Webasto folding roof for our 69 122s. I’m very tempted and found the company that has taken over from the original coach works company to fit.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 21:32   #2
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default No

They leak. They're noisy.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 21:58   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
They leak. They're noisy.
Rain hole, once done no going back. Biggest put off with buying a car for me is a rain hole
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 22:26   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

Whilst I never had any trouble with the Webasto on my '65 Amazon (but I never opened it, I'm not a sun roof person), that on my 164 obviously had leakage problems before I came along. There are stains on the headlining (but it never leaked on me) and as Mark says, it whistles when moving a bit.
But then again I'd never choose to buy a car just because it has one fitted: I hate sunroofs period! If I want fresh air I'd get the motorbike out.

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 23:08   #5
Natedog

Thanks guys. Windows it is just saved me £2100 plus vat
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 00:37   #6
old fart
Master Member

Just to confuse matters, my first Amazon had a Webasto roof, and I loved it, so easy to open it up and have fresh air, and if really hot, open all the windows and it was almost like an open car. I wish my current car had one, but perhaps a bit expensive now!
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 07:32   #7
Natedog

The system looks great, from the few google images I can find but you can’t beat sage advice. My car is a fair weather car, garaged all year round and only out in nice weather. It was more the noise and look once open that was bothering me. I’d be dissaponted if all I could hear was the sound of gathered fabric flapping around. My wife thinks the car smells of petrol and is too hot even when the windows are open (I think my heater is jammed on hot!) but she’s right it is a little smelly
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 09:38   #8
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
My wife thinks the car smells of petrol and is too hot even when the windows are open (I think my heater is jammed on hot!) but she’s right it is a little smelly
Fitting a sun-roof would - at best - only address these symptoms. Better by far to spend the money on correcting the underlying causes I would have thought?

I like a sun-roof, but have to agree that these and the after-market glass panels so popular in the eighties are inherently flawed. On the other hand, the factory fitted solid sun-rooves fitted to my seven series cars were fine.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 11:03   #9
old fart
Master Member

You don't get the sound of flapping fabric, and they don't look too peculiar when folded, but I wouldn't use it as a way of getting rid of a fuel smell, there's definitely something wrong there.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 13:07   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

I had one, actually a Weathershields, on a 1977 VW Sirocco. Loved it in the summer and it never leaked. Quiet and draught free when open up to about 65mph but not bad even above that. Front deflector essential. Cutting the roof of an Amazon is brave but with a modern cutter not difficult. You do lose the strengthening beam the goes across the roof but the opening can be braced to some degree, just don't roll it.
There several Amazons with them in the UK. Here are a couple of Swedes. 123GT's I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9529269855_df4aa78852_opscs.jpg (173.3 KB, 26 views)
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote