Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Damage to front grill

Views : 1927

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 10:01   #11
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
That’s a curious place - are they breaking a single white, engineless zero miler XC90 and they’ve just taken lots of pics of the individual bits or have they got lots of them??

As to why they are breaking zero miles cars with no apparent claims / damage is another interesting question in itself?
I believe that they acquired multiple identical very early models from Volvo that were not suitable for retailing. I remember reading about it maybe three years ago.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 11:32   #12
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I believe that they acquired multiple identical very early models from Volvo that were not suitable for retailing. I remember reading about it maybe three years ago.
Yes they were Volvo pre production cars. I bought a light cluster from them. Arrived next day. Perfect condition and worked perfectly so no issues with them.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 19:25   #13
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
That’s a curious place - are they breaking a single white, engineless zero miler XC90 and they’ve just taken lots of pics of the individual bits or have they got lots of them??

As to why they are breaking zero miles cars with no apparent claims / damage is another interesting question in itself?
A very unusual breakers, the place is immaculate. I bought and collected a lower tailgate panel for my phase 1 XC90 a couple of years ago from them. I was even able to choose the correct colour from a rack of tailgates.

They had three brand new second generation XC90's without wheels sitting on hefty wooden stillages in the warehouse, one D5, one T6 and a T8. I was told that they were unregistered pre-production cars, all white ones with off-black trim, and that the sum of the sold parts would be greater than the cost of a complete vehicle....not a bad business to be in!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 09:57   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
, and that the sum of the sold parts would be greater than the cost of a complete vehicle....not a bad business to be in!
Indeed but you need a lot of working capital. It could be over 10 years before you sell the majority of the parts. I wonder how much they paid Volvo for the cars and also whether it was stipulated that they must be broken for parts?
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 12:57   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbanger1975 View Post
Today on my way to work on a dual carriageway , a pigeon flew out in front and i hit it below the bonnet. I never saw it bounce off and thought....its stuck in the grill..
I get to work and look, and yes,there it is.
After getting it out its obviously broken the plastic grill. Now, I've popped into my local dealer and nearly had a heart attack when they told me how much. 2 hrs to fit too..

So my question is, how easy is it to do it myself. I also have the front camera in the grill.. does it really take 2 hrs to do..
Any advice would be great..cheers..
What about this for a fix
https://www.bcautos.com.au/products/...-xc90-2016-17/
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 13:16   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Indeed but you need a lot of working capital. It could be over 10 years before you sell the majority of the parts. I wonder how much they paid Volvo for the cars and also whether it was stipulated that they must be broken for parts?
Volvo never sell these cars off , they are sent for destruction , heart breaking when you see an immaculate 850 R on it's way .. If they have escaped its illegal to sell them for parts .
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 14:13   #17
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvo never sell these cars off , they are sent for destruction , heart breaking when you see an immaculate 850 R on it's way .. If they have escaped its illegal to sell them for parts .
The guy was absolutely direct and clear with me. He bought them direct from Volvo. They were pre production and he is breaking them for spares. I very much doubt that, if it was underhand or in breach of contract in any way, that he would be so blatant.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 18:35   #18
Pitvar

A relative works for BMW and reckons they build at least 80 such non customer but otherwise "as production" cars for testing etc. Not sure if BMW scrap them or allow them to be parted out.
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 18:23   #19
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitvar View Post
A relative works for BMW and reckons they build at least 80 such non customer but otherwise "as production" cars for testing etc. Not sure if BMW scrap them or allow them to be parted out.
BMW take them to thejr recycling unit...
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 18:47   #20
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
From what I can tel this goes over the existing grill, rather then being a replacement for the oem part..

To each his own, but to me it looks hideous.. all that bling might look good on a Cadillac Escalade though.. but that’s just me
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote