Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Amazon on a rolling road

Views : 4156

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2008, 00:28   #11
Alf ista
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
It is actually a Fiat colour. The guy who sprayed it was planning to do it in the light metallic blue that was used for a small series of 123GT's in 1967 (Volvo code 102) more commonly seen on 140's and 1800's, but then decided it needed a deeper blue and so went for the Fiat colour.
Yeah, I must say your car looks really good. That blue colour really suits the Amazon and the wheels look fantastic. Are they Minilites? Also, I notice your car is a 1970, same as mine. Since these cars didnt have the chrome bonnet trim and rain gutters fitted as standard, did you fit yours aftermarket? I would be interested to know where you got the gutter trim and how difficult they were to fit.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 10:35   #12
Brian M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
Yeah, I must say your car looks really good. That blue colour really suits the Amazon and the wheels look fantastic. Are they Minilites? Also, I notice your car is a 1970, same as mine. Since these cars didnt have the chrome bonnet trim and rain gutters fitted as standard, did you fit yours aftermarket? I would be interested to know where you got the gutter trim and how difficult they were to fit.

The wheels are genuine Mini-Lites.

The bonnet trim and chrome gutter trims were on the car when I got it and I hadn't realised that they were not original fitments, but on checking my Amazon pictures see that you are correct. You are never to old to learn somehing new.

Brian M
1970 Volvo Amazon and 1978 Safari 14/2
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 12:55   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Paul
Do you know what needles were/are in the carbs before they were modded? Wondering if the carbs came from a B18 so may have had ZH needles. B20 likes KD or DX. They certainly made good improvements by doctoring the needles but you don't actually know what they are now equivilant to. I suspect that hand fettling 2 needles to be the same when the factory spec is to 4 figures isn't realistic. You'd need a seriously good micrometer but it would be a good idea to measure the needles now to see if they match any of the standard ones. That will save you a lot of time and money in the future if you fit new needles. It may also enable you to fit 2 matching ones if the 2 in there now are slightly different. I think your tuner would agree with this. I assume your carbs are in good knick with no spindle leaks.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 22:41   #14
Brian M

Derek

Rob Henchoz at Amazon Cars previously recommended a KN needle for my engine spec, and these were filed down using a 4 digit micrometer to ensure they remained circular as well as identical.

I was confident that my carbs were in good nick, certainly no extra air was getting through worn spindles.

Brian M
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian M For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 00:45   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

Brian
That's fair enough. The KN is the standard needle for B20b but that would have had a C cam. The KD is gradually richer from tick over compared to the KN. If you have the new measurements and are willing to share them I'll look them up to see if they match or closely compare to a listed needle.
You can send the numbers via pm if you wish. As I said it will give you useful info when it comes to replacement. It might give others ideas too. Paul has expressed interest I see. I hope you'll post.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 06:36   #16
Dylan144GT

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
If you have the new measurements and are willing to share them I'll look them up to see if they match or closely compare to a listed needle.....As I said it will give you useful info when it comes to replacement. It might give others ideas too. Paul has expressed interest I see. I hope you'll post.
Hi Guys

Brian, this thread has seemed to excite and inspire alot of us. Nice one!

Please follow through with this. Agent_Strangelove has been kind enough to sort me out with a set of SU's and I'll be refurbishing them in the very near future. This info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dylan

Last edited by Dylan144GT; Nov 28th, 2008 at 06:48. Reason: Forgot to subscribe to this thread.
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 12:12   #17
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Paul
Do you know what needles were/are in the carbs before they were modded? Wondering if the carbs came from a B18 so may have had ZH needles. B20 likes KD or DX.
Quote:
The KN is the standard needle for B20b but that would have had a C cam. The KD is gradually richer from tick over compared to the KN.
I *think* that I have a KN needle but that's based on what you've said above. Whatever is in them now is what's normal for a B20 based on either the factory manual and / or Burlen's data. I have had the richer (presumably KD) ones fitted in the past but didn't get on with them. They were fitted by a mechanic to try to get it running smoothly (this is back when I used to consider setting up carbs to be a black art). Not sure what needles were in them before the KDs though, as the carbs were carried over from the old & tired B18 that was replaced in '98.

Turned out what was actually needed was just balancing the carbs properly & sorting out a sticking choke, which I ended up learning how to sort out myself! Many thanks again to Wellshj of this parish for showing me how to balance & set-up the carbs. My car is now running pretty well (touch wood!), so if I do get it rolling roaded, I'd be looking to improve the fuel economy rather then performance, as most of you seem to be getting quite a bit more mpg than I do. This might however be just related to driving style etc.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 08:54   #18
Brian M

Quote:
Brian
That's fair enough. The KN is the standard needle for B20b but that would have had a C cam. The KD is gradually richer from tick over compared to the KN. If you have the new measurements and are willing to share them I'll look them up to see if they match or closely compare to a listed needle.
You can send the numbers via pm if you wish. As I said it will give you useful info when it comes to replacement. It might give others ideas too. Paul has expressed interest I see. I hope you'll post.
I previously wrote that I had a D cam, but on checking my original invoice (from 2001) I see it was a B20B cam. (C type)

I am afraid I didn't note the actual reading on the micrometer, I was watching that the number didn't change as he went round the needle, and that the second needle was the same, and didn't see the measurement before he shaved it so I don't know how much was taken off. I don't think it was much and it was at the bottom 3cm of the needles.

I hadn't thought of any replacement problems and have to admit I relied on the apparent expertise of the rolling road guy. He did tell me that he had a "modelling lathe" and could have turned a needle if he was starting from a needle that was further away in size from the size he felt was right for the car.

Brian M
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 13:14   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

I wonder if your tuner took any notes, with the measurements. It would certainly only take him a few minutes to measure up the needles if he didn't. I think he could be persuaded to do it for free as it benefits both of you.
C cam should be a bit better when pulling the van.
Nice car
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 15:31   #20
PeakUnder
VOC Member

Cool

I think it's a lovely looking car too Brian, a credit to you - nice seeing you (and the car ) at the Ace Cafe too.

Jeff.

THE ONLY WAY TO GO FWD IS RWD
PeakUnder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, rolling road