Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HUD or heated windscreen

Views : 57789

Replies : 286

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which option would you sekect
HUD 205 46.91%
Heated windscreen 232 53.09%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 21st, 2021, 01:34   #231
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Between the 2 options, if I had really to choose one, i would go for the HUD. Heated windscreen in my country doesn't make much sense, since it is a sunny country almost all year. And we never get outside freezing temperatures to the point of having snow on windscreens. Always moderate weather even in Winter season. Maybe in the North of the country in the winter season it might get near 0°C degrees. But I live near the south... so...makes no sense.

HUD doesn't say nothing to me either because all that information I can check on driver's panel. That is why i didn't spec and get HUD or heated windscreen for my car.
Money thrown away in my opinion.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jun 21st, 2021 at 01:43.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 21:18   #232
js90
VOC Member

If I'm looking at the DIS, I'm not looking at the road. If I'm looking at the HUD, I'm looking at the road. You might be surprised how many serious accidents happen because 'I only looked down for a second...'

--Previous MY08 S40 2.0D Manual Barents Blue / MY16 XC60 D5 Manual Osmium Grey
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to js90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 21:31   #233
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js90 View Post
If I'm looking at the DIS, I'm not looking at the road. If I'm looking at the HUD, I'm looking at the road. You might be surprised how many serious accidents happen because 'I only looked down for a second...'
I have to agree with you on that.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 21:49   #234
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Test drove a Volvo with a Heated Windscreen and I’m so glad that I did not add this option. Once you know the wavy wires are in between the glass it makes you get double vision. I was hoping that since Ford patented it, the technology would have moved on from metal wires to a type of transparent heat conducting film.

Regards HUD, I like my cars simple and unless I’m flying a fighter jet in combat or racing a F1, what is the purpose of this in a normal street car – just more to go wrong and cost a fortune to fix. I wonder if you would fail an MOT if it stopped working as any type of displayed fault/error is now a fail? Or your insurance company voiding a claim if you did not have it switched on? Keep things simple as there is enough electronic toys in cars these days.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 11:56   #235
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
(...)I wonder if you would fail an MOT if it stopped working as any type of displayed fault/error is now a fail? Or your insurance company voiding a claim if you did not have it switched on? Keep things simple as there is enough electronic toys in cars these days.
I didn't get it. MOT?? can you please explain.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 12:03   #236
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Test drove a Volvo with a Heated Windscreen and I’m so glad that I did not add this option. Once you know the wavy wires are in between the glass it makes you get double vision. I was hoping that since Ford patented it, the technology would have moved on from metal wires to a type of transparent heat conducting film.

Regards HUD, I like my cars simple and unless I’m flying a fighter jet in combat or racing a F1, what is the purpose of this in a normal street car – just more to go wrong and cost a fortune to fix. I wonder if you would fail an MOT if it stopped working as any type of displayed fault/error is now a fail? Or your insurance company voiding a claim if you did not have it switched on? Keep things simple as there is enough electronic toys in cars these days.
I don't know where the Ford story comes from , but TRIPLEX was first with the heated windscreen of this type in the 1960's ... It first appeared in the old Rover 90 as a laminated REAR screen ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triplex Electrically Heated Windscreen.jpg (176.7 KB, 4 views)
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 14:15   #237
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
I didn't get it. MOT?? can you please explain.
Simplistically, the MOT is a test all cars over 3 years old have to take once a year in the UK to ensure they are still roadworthy. If they fail on any point they have to be repaired before the current MOT expires, or be taken off road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moonlanders For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 16:11   #238
ustari

I only have experienced the heated windscreen (MY17 XC90 T8) and overall the HUD would probably provide more value year round.

Saying that, in winter, the scheduled heating in the morning is a brilliant convenience. Coming out and not having to scrape the windscreen etc. Just get in and drive in a warm car.
ustari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 18:11   #239
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I don't know where the Ford story comes from , but TRIPLEX was first with the heated windscreen of this type in the 1960's ... It first appeared in the old Rover 90 as a laminated REAR screen ...
My understanding was that Ford held the patent for ‘Quick Clear’ front windscreens. When Ford and Volvo had their merger many years ago (Volvo Cars formed part of the Swedish Volvo Group until 1999, when the company was bought by Ford Motor Company. In 2010, Volvo Cars was acquired by Geely Holding), you then started to see quick clear front screens appearing on Volvo’s.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 22:56   #240
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
Simplistically, the MOT is a test all cars over 3 years old have to take once a year in the UK to ensure they are still roadworthy. If they fail on any point they have to be repaired before the current MOT expires, or be taken off road.
ooh ok. we have also that test in here. We call it Inspection. The only difference is that here we don't do it until the 4th year.