Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wipers simply stopped working - V90 CC

Views : 2460

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2021, 22:39   #11
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post
You try telling that to me when it’s dark o’clock and p1issing down on a “smart motorway” and either your wipers or lights fail to work! It’s completely unacceptable - they’re an MOT failure for a reason!
Which is why I said 'could still drive the car safely depending on conditions'. The OP reported the wiper problem on start up, not a sudden failure on a motorway.

As you say, you are a sample of one. These problems are not widespread. Most owners have few, if any, problems but as I said before these cars are complex systems and some owners seem to have their unfair share of issues.

I am sorry that you and crashbarrier have had issues with your cars. I hope the issues get resolved.
Old May 25th, 2021, 00:31   #12
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
it is (literally) impossible to test any piece of software for every possible situation.
Actually, it is perfectly possible to test software for every possible situation. The software is mathematically proven to behave as expected, and this is how (for example) commercial aircraft flight control software is written - or used to be.

Volvo won't do it because it's extremely time consuming, expensive, and requires a lot of experience.

Windscreen wipers are important but not critical; the airbag deployment code on the other hand is very likely to be proven as I described above.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2021, 03:10   #13
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Actually, it is perfectly possible to test software for every possible situation. The software is mathematically proven to behave as expected, and this is how (for example) commercial aircraft flight control software is written - or used to be.

Volvo won't do it because it's extremely time consuming, expensive, and requires a lot of experience.

Windscreen wipers are important but not critical; the airbag deployment code on the other hand is very likely to be proven as I described above.
Make no mistake... Volvo won't waste time and money. I agree totally with you.
Old May 25th, 2021, 10:55   #14
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post

Proving software correctness mathematically and software testing are not the same thing but you're right, Volvo won't do it ultimately due to cost.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 20:05   #15
lat002
Les

Over the 6 months I’ve owned my Volvo V60 CC I’ve not really done many miles (Covid, etc) and have had a few false warnings from the Park Assist System for objects that didn’t exist. I’ve checked with the local dealer who has confirmed no software updates are outstanding. The last week I’ve had warnings about the ‘Turn Indicator’ (System Malfunction) although the indicators seemed to be functioning.
However today the control systems seem to have gone wild. I’ve had repetitive warnings about the Turn Indicator; Brake Light; Wiper Failure; City Safety; Driver Support System. The Owner’s Manual was useless and Volvo on Call couldn’t help so I took the dog for a walk intending to follow up with Volvo when possible. When I next tried the car everything seemed to work as intended. Reading this thread I’m now thinking I’m having the same control system issues described by others and the system had sorted itself out while it was parked up. I do intend speaking with the Volvo dealer again but in the meantime does anyone know what causes the system to malfunction or how to re initialise the control system? I suggest this is now a sample of two.

Last edited by lat002; Jun 9th, 2021 at 20:30. Reason: To add signature
lat002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 22:19   #16
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat002 View Post
However today the control systems seem to have gone wild. I’ve had repetitive warnings about the Turn Indicator; Brake Light; Wiper Failure; City Safety; Driver Support System.
If you're getting multiple warnings from different systems the cause could be a power problem.

I had a V40 that did this one day. Nine different warning messages and an awful lot of beeping. Drove home, very carefully, and called Volvo Assist. Their diagnostics showed nothing untoward and the verdict was a power glitch had caused it. It never did it again.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 21:23   #17
lat002
Les

I've had my V60CC in to Volvo today to investigate and fix the error messages which have continued. The systems involved were the Turn Indicators; Brake Lights; Wiper Failure; City Safety; Driver Support System; headlights; Sat Nav; locking system; cruise control; speed limit readout. Volvo said it was the DCM module which was failing to communicate with the other systems and that they'd seen the problem previously on other cars. They were a bit vague on what they'd done and said if it starts again they'll need to contact Volvo to replace it as it's a pricey part. Can anyone throw any light on this? I've searched on DCM module without any sensible hits as to what one is in relation to a V60
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 11:30   #18
crashbarrier

That wasn't hinted at with our car but then we only had the wiper issue. It seems that any glitch in the Volvo matrix is treated with a 'software update' but your case sounds more than that.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 03:07   #19
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
That wasn't hinted at with our car but then we only had the wiper issue. It seems that any glitch in the Volvo matrix is treated with a 'software update' but your case sounds more than that.
You're so right on that one.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 12:09   #20
ThomasC91

I had a saga and a half with my rain sensors constantly going off when not raining.

I was blaming Autoglass.

Turned out to be an error message which needed to be reset and hasn’t done it since.... some error message about steering wheel module.

I might invest in one of those diagnostic things.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote