Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

13 years since an MOT

Views : 8348

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2020, 12:55   #11
griston64
Premier Member

Don't shoot me down guys.....but,if it turns over ok by hand I would just inspect the timing belt and tensioner with the front cover off and if it looks ok I would just start it after soaking the bores. Run for a minute or two and then do timing belt if it's a worthwhile vehicle to re commission.

Above is based on the engine being a non interference Redblock of course
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 13:09   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Don't shoot me down guys.....but,if it turns over ok by hand I would just inspect the timing belt and tensioner with the front cover off and if it looks ok I would just start it after soaking the bores. Run for a minute or two and then do timing belt if it's a worthwhile vehicle to re commission.

Above is based on the engine being a non interference Redblock of course
That's a tempting option Mark but if it turns by hand, fitting a new timing belt and tensioner is almost a necessity when it's not turned over for over 10+years.

Like Tony said, the timing gears can grow rust on them, the tensioner can seize and/or the bearings can Brinnel, neither of which would be helful to it starting and while things may look/feel ok by hand, they change rapidly when they suddenly start turning. The belt itself is long overdue for changing purely on time, never mind the fact it will have adopted the position it was left in and lost 90% of its flexibility, not to mention becoming brittle due to time.

Not so much a case of shooting you down - more a case of pointing out things you may not have considered fully.

There are other factors as well and not knowing the OPs background/mechanical abilities/aptitude and how peculair Volvos can be on certain things, all the other advice given above has very much been on the "play it safe" side.

Those more experienced with the red block would probably say exactly the same as you and to a point, i nearly did as well. Then i thought about it, the OP is the same age as my 760 and was only 1 when the car he's about to revive was bought new.

For the minimal extra effort involved in playing it safe, it's worth it to protect what for him is a family heirloom.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 13:29   #13
griston64
Premier Member

I had considered those things Dave. I was mainly thinking that not knowing the OP's mechanical skills the timing belt replacement might not be a job they would want to undertake. My cars timing belt and tensioner was older than that and I was surprised how smooth the bearings were when I removed it.

Just a thought to get it started rather than chucking money at it if it's rotten
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 14:05   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I had considered those things Dave. I was mainly thinking that not knowing the OP's mechanical skills the timing belt replacement might not be a job they would want to undertake. My cars timing belt and tensioner was older than that and I was surprised how smooth the bearings were when I removed it.

Just a thought to get it started rather than chucking money at it if it's rotten
Very valid points Mark and while i agee a timing belt change can seem daunting, the red block is one of the easiest (and quickest) on the planet so taking into account the fact that it's also fairly cheap, it's probably (almost certainly) the cheaper and easier option in the long term.

Unless i'm mistaken, your car had been in use fairly regularly before you bought it? This one hasn't and it doesn't always take long for a bearing to Brinnel.

I've got one on my 760, on the A/C belt idler pulley. Completely seized. Previous owner had the A/C evaporator removed for no good reason ( he claimed it was blocked as nothing was coming out of the heater, hot or cold. Turned out to be the vacuum solenoids and dry joints causing that problem) and as such, the compressor wasn't in use. The adjuster had been backed off so it wouldn't drive the compressor even if the compressor clutch was engaged.

Another thing i have to replace due to misguided diagnoses on this car and before i can (hopefully) revive the A/C system!

However i have digressed - this back and forth between us gives the OP both sides of the options so they can do whichever they like with the risk of stripping/snapping the belt if it's not replaced beforehand.

From the comment somewhere above about climibing on the cold leather seats as a kid, i'd guess it's a 740GLE so would have the B230E in that case, most likely with the ZF4HP22 gearbox hung on the back.

Could be wrong and time will tell though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 14:56   #15
griston64
Premier Member

My car had been sitting for six years Dave ( although it was in dry storage ). My timing belt was 13 years old

Let's hope all goes well and I'm looking forward to the outcome
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 15:27   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Let's hope all goes well and I'm looking forward to the outcome
Me too!

All this talk of timing belt intervals and replacement has reminded me my Rover is a little over due. The interval is 96k miles/8 years but it's only done about 18k miles since the last change.
I have another belt and tensioner spring (it's only used to tension the belt then locked off for the rest of its life but is extremely important to change it!) and thankfully the water pump isn't due (they tend to develop a leak around 120k miles, sometimes sooner and are a service item at 120k) so i can get away with just the belt and spring for now. Just don't fancy doing it yet as there's very little space to do it and it's cold, wet and horrible out there!

Unlike a red block, it takes 8-12 hours to change on the Rover, about 5-7 in a workshop with lifts. First time i did one took nearly 3 weeks as it was November, changeable weather and often i'd get the tools out, make a start and the heavens would open.

Old Oct 7th, 2020, 22:12   #17
stephend
Premier Member

For the price of a timing belt, I'd go with the advice above to put a new one on before starting the engine. Perhaps take the belt off, spin the tensioner and if it turns freely without graunching, fit a new belt and proceed?

For what it's worth, the B200E definitely isn't non-interference. How do I know? Because I've just finished replacing the exhaust valves that got bent when the timing belt snapped...

Best of luck with it, hope it all works out well!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 22:42   #18
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
For the price of a timing belt, I'd go with the advice above to put a new one on before starting the engine. Perhaps take the belt off, spin the tensioner and if it turns freely without graunching, fit a new belt and proceed?

For what it's worth, the B200E definitely isn't non-interference. How do I know? Because I've just finished replacing the exhaust valves that got bent when the timing belt snapped...

That's interesting as I thought all 8 valve redblocks were non interference. What about the B230E ?
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 22:47   #19
griston64
Premier Member

Just found this

B230 Series Engines:

Do I Have an Interference Engine? [Editor] An "interference" engine is one in which the tops of the pistons and the valves may collide if the timing belt breaks or is misaligned. If you have an interference engine, you MUST change your timing belt on schedule or else you risk very expensive damage. You must also pay closer attention to the condition of the tensioners, pulley bolts, and front seals: anything that can cause the belt to fail prematurely must be repaired quickly. Not all Volvo engines are non-interference. [Colin Shepherd/Peter Milnes]

"Interference" Engines:

B200 series (including E, F, G, FT, GT)
B230E (high-compression B230 sold outside of North America)
B204 series (including E, F, FT, GT)
B234 series (including F, G)
All B5XXX five-cylinder inline engines and 6XXX six-cylinder engines
The B230 series is non-interference with the exception of the B230E.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 07:00   #20
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post

Interesting, my mates 360 B200E snapped the cambelt, he put a new belt on it and runs fine.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:

Tags
740, mot, project