Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery trays and battery clamps

Views : 2628

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 13:34   #11
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
I wouldn’t mind one depending on cost. Would you be trying to make a better solution than the current one? I’m not a fan of it.
The trouble with the standard ones is the lip at the back which just holds moisture and grime so they start to rot there. Seam sealer inside the lip then paint after welding in and it should stop the issue.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 17:55   #12
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Template for clamps has been made so we will see how it bends with the metal we have got and see if we can make them. The trays will definitely be a long term project.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 09:43   #13
TonyS9
Premier Member

I'm rebuilding mine atm using parts from a donor. I can take photos or measurements perhaps if that helps. I've it all depaneled.

My tray is gone in the wheel arch at the usual bottom corner, the battery clamp/corner piece rusted out and the edge of the tray gone. Have patched it up before but was a temporary job. Donor was in excellent condition though.
Currently debating whether to cut the tray or completely depanel it.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 14:34   #14
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
I'm rebuilding mine atm using parts from a donor. I can take photos or measurements perhaps if that helps. I've it all depaneled.

My tray is gone in the wheel arch at the usual bottom corner, the battery clamp/corner piece rusted out and the edge of the tray gone. Have patched it up before but was a temporary job. Donor was in excellent condition though.
Currently debating whether to cut the tray or completely depanel it.
If you could please that would be good, I will try and get my hands on a good tray from a breaker.

What my dad has just done on the 940 he has been welding up was drill out all of the spot welds holding it and then reuse the holes in the donor tray and "spot" weld it back in. He had to make the lower section of the wheel arch where it goes down to the tray too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 09:05   #15
90Wine745

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Is this something people would be interested in?
Count me in Luke, I'm sure I will need one sometime.......
Mike
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 22:10   #16
Challo

Well I managed to find the clamp i thought I had lost. Had got wedged between the battery tray and some pipes. Just need the screw now
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 22:46   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
Well I managed to find the clamp i thought I had lost. Had got wedged between the battery tray and some pipes. Just need the screw now
Can't remember if it's M6 or M8 thread Chris but a flange head bolt of 30-40mm length should do if you can't find the original which is about 9-10" long (it sits higher than the battery) with a loop on the end to tighten it with a screwdriver blade.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 14:42   #18
McGandalf

Definitely interested if you manage to cobble together a better solution!
McGandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McGandalf For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:30   #19
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Can't remember if it's M6 or M8 thread Chris but a flange head bolt of 30-40mm length should do if you can't find the original which is about 9-10" long (it sits higher than the battery) with a loop on the end to tighten it with a screwdriver blade.
So I have the clamp, bought a BMW battery screw from eBay for a few quid and went to try a fit today.

I soon found that the old bolt had rusted in situ and obviously snapped. So I know have a rusty bolt, with only about 3-4mm left to try and remove. Soaking in WD40 at the moment, and will try some heat tomorrow.

Tried to have a look to see if I can bodge a fix using a universal clamp for the MOT but can’t see an easy way to secure a battery for the MOT
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:38   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
So I have the clamp, bought a BMW battery screw from eBay for a few quid and went to try a fit today.

I soon found that the old bolt had rusted in situ and obviously snapped. So I know have a rusty bolt, with only about 3-4mm left to try and remove. Soaking in WD40 at the moment, and will try some heat tomorrow.

Tried to have a look to see if I can bodge a fix using a universal clamp for the MOT but can’t see an easy way to secure a battery for the MOT
I will have to introduce you to WMP Chris!

The clamp screw is in a tight place for trying to drill it out as well! What thread is the BMW screw?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: