Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

40.9 mpg is the best i could achieve

Views : 6744

Replies : 97

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2021, 18:51   #31
TLPower

To further stoke the fire, my best so far on a average camera riddled trip up the M1 was 40.1 indicated. I know it's totally un-representative but heartening all the same. I do tend to achieve better figures without cruise as I can predict when to let off and allow for traffic movements.

My car is a 2005 V70 T5 M66 with a Shemtec map, 3" Ferrita downpipe and a 2.5" cat back. A "progressive" run to the sea-side (East Coast)gives low 30's.
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 03:39   #32
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPower View Post
To further stoke the fire, my best so far on a average camera riddled trip up the M1 was 40.1 indicated. I know it's totally un-representative but heartening all the same. I do tend to achieve better figures without cruise as I can predict when to let off and allow for traffic movements.

My car is a 2005 V70 T5 M66 with a Shemtec map, 3" Ferrita downpipe and a 2.5" cat back. A "progressive" run to the sea-side (East Coast)gives low 30's.
But mines a diesel.....
Old May 17th, 2021, 03:50   #33
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
of course, that's absolutely true but it's not real honest average is it, like you said the minute you change lane, or get off the motorway, it immediately drops back down doesnt it. I could get up to 90, reset the counter, let off the pedal and just let it coast for 300mtrs and get huge mpg but it's meaningless

Well I don't have a counter.. but I work it out weekly from the petrol receipt and the mileage which gives a true real world average
Well, not 100% meaningless.

Its a very handy way to see what you can or could achieve on such a run.
Whilst its not "honest average" as you put it, it can show how much that part of your run would cost...'ish. Its actual motorway mpg, we have urban mpg, extra urban mpg (urban combined with "open road"), why not just "open road" mpg as well

Your explanation, is meaningless though, coasting is not driving it would achieve nothing other than show and absurdly high figure, 99mpg to be precise
Old May 17th, 2021, 09:00   #34
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I'm not talking about switching the ignition off lol I just mean let off the throttle, the engine is on, you're in gear and moving along the road; we're getting into a real grey area if we're going to start calling that not driving

Bottom line is to me a real average is when you look at everything you did that day / week / year. If your journey is long enough to fill up at the start and be empty at the end than you can work out journey mpg accurately.. I do weekly and annual

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 17th, 2021 at 09:19.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 09:06   #35
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Well.. actually weekly isn't the point, it's whenever I put petrol in which just happens to be weekly in my case. That's the only real accurate way to know how much petrol you've used. Daily you'd have to measure the fuel in- tank which is nigh-on impossible or at least highly inconvenient

mini project - link
Old May 17th, 2021, 13:07   #36
Bashy
Aged Member

I know what coasting means

its getting into the realms of impractical now.

If i go up the motorway and my car produces, lets say, 56mpg, thats what i can expect each time i go up that motorway.

Its an average for however long you want to go for, it makes no difference

If you want to take it over a much longer time then thats up to you, i myself like to know what the best is that i can achieve for that trip and i try hard most times, but thats just me, im like that.

How do you think that ger the official stats, they didnt drive it for a week., it will have been done on single trips using the best available conditions.. Thats what i strive towards, to try to get as close to the official stats as i can, and i know its not accurate, i just liek to do it...
Old May 17th, 2021, 13:17   #37
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I know what coasting means

its getting into the realms of impractical now.

If i go up the motorway and my car produces, lets say, 56mpg, thats what i can expect each time i go up that motorway.

Its an average for however long you want to go for, it makes no difference

If you want to take it over a much longer time then thats up to you, i myself like to know what the best is that i can achieve for that trip and i try hard most times, but thats just me, im like that.

How do you think that ger the official stats, they didnt drive it for a week., it will have been done on single trips using the best available conditions.. Thats what i strive towards, to try to get as close to the official stats as i can, and i know its not accurate, i just liek to do it...

The official statistics are gained from a rolling road preset with different driving conditions ... it comes up with a set of figures ... then the next make of car goes on .. each car is tested exactly the same ...
The Official figures have just one purpose , To COMPARE one car against another , not to give an indication of what you may get in real conditions ...

The manufacturer is not allowed to publish fuel consumption figures ...
Old May 17th, 2021, 13:19   #38
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

official stats are proven time and again to be unachievable or innacurate (sometimes even too low..) as has been said there are way too many variables in the real world and in how you drive as an individual

yes the best thing really to look at what you get in that car, for those journeys and try and improve that as best you can, that's all you can really do isn't it

for me, its really just a case of making sure there's nothing wrong with my car, or that it's working as well as it can, I'm not too fussed about how many miles i get per pound tbh. I've gone up 3mpg in average over the last month or two so I know I've made some improvments, that's all it really means to me

everyone's got their different methods and opinions can we just let it rest there and go about it in our own ways

no hard feelings to anyone

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 17th, 2021 at 13:24.
Old May 17th, 2021, 13:22   #39
Bashy
Aged Member

My old 52 and 54 plate Laguna's, 1.9DCi were pretty much spot on with official figures
Old May 17th, 2021, 13:26   #40
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

fair enough, but then if you gave them to someone else who perhaps lives in an area with more speedbumps, or perhaps somewhere coastal so it's more windy, or somewhere really hilly, or just has a heavier right foot or a more hectic schedule.. who's to say

you might even give it to 90 year old doris down the road who does 5mph everywhere and gets more than the official figures

also..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
thats what i can expect each time i go up that motorway
not necessarily. wind, other weather conditions, traffic, road works etc etc etc

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 17th, 2021 at 13:31.