Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

40.9 mpg is the best i could achieve

Views : 6741

Replies : 97

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2021, 13:35   #41
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
fair enough, but then if you gave them to someone else who perhaps lives in an area with more speedbumps, or perhaps somewhere coastal so it's more windy, or just has a heavier right foot.. who's to say
Hence me saying i like to get the best I can achieve, its just something i like to do. If a car says its meant to do 50mpg, thats what i will try to aim for, i think i got 51 on a run from the laguna and that was officially up at about 50mpg

This V70 is officially up at an unattainable 43mpg, and thats what i aimed for, so its fairly close, but seeing 44mpg on a flat straight at 70, its not gonna get that, but at the 56mph, i can see it do it.

Again, its just for me and i like to share what i achieved. i cant do that petrol measure way, i forget every time, i had the app and ended up removing it, so i just use the in-car gauge

Dont get me wrong, i will also drive like i stole it if the need arises
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2021, 13:44   #42
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

lol I will admit I've forgotten once or twice and had to fudge the mileage to get what I think was right..

but you take from one week and it adds to the next week instead, so overall average works itself out. also, are you every really 100% sure you've gone down to the same mark on the fuel gauge.. again, longer term average becomes the more reliable option

I have a little spreadsheet as one page of my budget, it has purchase and repair / upgrade costs, at each mileage when I did each repair, etc

I'm probably far too retentive about it to be honest but once you start it's just easy to get in the habit and update it every time

anyway when all's said and done, if we really wanted to save money we would just buy a car for about £400 instead of about £4-5k or whatever.. and all of us are saving a WHOLE lot of cash when compared to a new car hire-purchase. that's usually my go-to argument when people brag about their mpg - I made my saving when I bought the car. new cars might get 60mpg but they're paying out £400 a month (or shelling out 15-20k + interest in a lot of cases)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 17th, 2021 at 14:05.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 15:11   #43
Bashy
Aged Member

I should get into the habit of doing it, be interesting to see any difference, but I can tell ya now, it won't happen, I will forget too many times, at present, I put in £30 about every 2 weeks, I will deffo forget far too many times for it to be of any use lol 😂
Old May 17th, 2021, 15:29   #44
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I do about £25 per week, but I've started getting back on the bike to work (when it's not p'ing down) to try and get rid of lockdown gut.. so that's gone down a lot obviously (or lasting longer anyway)

mini project - link
Old May 26th, 2021, 07:37   #45
gammakeith

We just got back from a trip from Nottingham to the other side of Glasgow and bike on our 2004 XC70 Euro 3 showing 170,000 miles. Mostly motorway and dual carriageway on cruise control. Around the speed limit or slightly over going up and a bit slower coming back (light motorbike and trailer). The car indicated almost identical averages going up and back so the trailer seemed to make no difference. 634 miles on one tankful and a measured 45 mpg (car was claiming 53). We normally get just under 40mpg with mixed driving.

Keith
gammakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2021, 13:20   #46
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Try flying an airplane. There is so much info to log tracking fuel mileage seems like donning your eyeglasses....EASY.

Three columns is all it takes. Odometer-fuel volume-price.
The car gets a monthly tally on the 26th; the truck, bimonthly on the 10th.

The dates used are when I put the vehicles on the road; a personalization, nothing more.

The V70 went 1,050 this month and burned 37.358 US gallons doing it. Fuel. cost was $114.01. That yields 28.106 mpg.

Petrol averaged $3.052 per gallon. Fuel's been increasing of late.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 15:06   #47
tykesi

I've been disappointed with my consumption in my V70. Before I bought I was expecting low 40s for my usual driving and a fair bit better on longer journeys. My last tank had very little round town driving, mostly motorway with cruise set between 60 and 70 and it has only returned 45mpg )a bit of luggage but nowhere near fully loaded. The car reckoned it had done 60 for those journeys, how did Volvo get it so wrong with that read out?

I suspect I've got a boost and/or vacuum leak so I'm hoping once I get to the bottom of that things will improve, I'd like to see 50+ with cruise set below 70.
tykesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 17:28   #48
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

my main increase in economy happened when I did a number of different things so it's hard to say which had the best effect

in order of what I suspect did most, to least..

1 - pumped my tires up more from 32 to 35 (35-38 depending on tyre recommendations and how much you're loaded up. mine are reinforced)
2 - clean the MAF sensor (£5 job and takes like 20mins)
3 - Cataclean (I did 2 doses)
4 - injector cleaner (I did about 4 or 5 doses)

for all of that I saw a weekly average increase of about 3mpg (about £400 for an average 10k year, or £8 a week)

I don't have a diesel, so my numbers are different, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, expecting a real average (as in calculated from actual fuel use vs. mileage) of 50 is a bit optimistic. seems to me you're doing ok if you're getting mid-40s, bearing in mind it's a big heavy old barge

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 1st, 2021 at 17:38.
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 17:42   #49
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Fuel's been increasing of late.
you can say that again

Tthe future really is electric, sad to say. Don't get me wrong, no one loves a petrol engine more that I do, but for the daily drive and the benefit of the planet, it's a no brainer

save the real cars for a bit of limited mileage fun at the weekend

mini project - link
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 02:51   #50
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
you can say that again

Tthe future really is electric, sad to say. Don't get me wrong, no one loves a petrol engine more that I do, but for the daily drive and the benefit of the planet, it's a no brainer

save the real cars for a bit of limited mileage fun at the weekend
and for some, a leccy car will never be an affordable option, not even 2nd user, not to mention the battery(s) will need replacing if 2nd user.