Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weird blower/heater motor issue - is it normal?

Views : 1894

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2021, 08:22   #1
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Default Weird blower/heater motor issue - is it normal?

The blower on my 940 seems to slow down whenever I am accelerating or using more power to get up a hill. On a light throttle maintaining speed or going downhill it’s fine. It doesn’t matter if the air con is on or not, nor if I am asking for cold or hot air.
If I’m on the throttle heavy it goes down to almost nothing from full power!

Any ideas?
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2021, 11:45   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
The blower on my 940 seems to slow down whenever I am accelerating or using more power to get up a hill. On a light throttle maintaining speed or going downhill it’s fine. It doesn’t matter if the air con is on or not, nor if I am asking for cold or hot air.
If I’m on the throttle heavy it goes down to almost nothing from full power!

Any ideas?
the blower puts quite a load on the alternator so maybe when the engine needs power it cuts some power to the blower ? Not heard of that one before ...
Old May 30th, 2021, 13:08   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

On some automatic vehicles for sure, so maybe it's the same if the car is a manual, the aircon will briefly cut off under hard acceleration, meaning that all available power is directed to the job of overtaking - the most likely reason you'll boot the accelerator. I wonder if what you're seeing is this?

On older systems the aircon takes a fair bit of energy. Certainly on my old 2.5 140bhp V70 having the aircon on noticeably affected power. It's less noticeable on my current 1997 S90, but then that has the 3-litre 204bhp engine.

I don't know how the system works, and I'm not sure if it's designed to cut the fan or the aircon compressor, or possibly both. At a guess possibly it's vacuum controlled, so maybe you've a vacuum leak somewhere? Or could it be for some other reason the system isn't working properly and is perhaps too sensitive?

Not sure, but worth a thought.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2021, 20:29   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

None of the above! It'll be the Non-Return Valves (NRVs) coming off the inlet manifold to feed the heater/aircon hoses. One hose goes to the interior light to pull a controlled vacuum over the cabin temp sensor, the other operates the controls on the heater system.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2021, 23:53   #5
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

So what’s wrong with them/how do I fix them?
Old May 31st, 2021, 00:25   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
So what’s wrong with them/how do I fix them?

That's the location of them on mine.

I got a pair on fleabay for about £2 delivered :

Worth checking the hoses too, mine had perished and split which wasn't helping things!

What's actually happening is that instead of the fan motor slowing, all the direction flaps are returning to their default closed position due to lack of vacuum, reducing the air output.

Check the sizes of the stubs on yours, i don't know if Volvo altered them but mine were 8mm - also note the arrow on them that must point towards the inlet manifold.

Somewhere local to you may have them but expect to pay a lot more for one than i did for two on ebay. Alternatively you could wait a few days on the postage...........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 31st, 2021, 10:29   #7
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Thanks for that but as you can see from my pics attached mine is a lot more complex than that so I’m struggling to find the right bit - can you point me in the right direction?

Seems like a simple fix once I’ve figured which bit of the spaghetti I need to look at!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 06FF16AB-9105-4721-8370-CA234138ECB5.jpeg (126.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg EE8F73B0-0A12-43F2-B061-9E98410DDB77.jpeg (139.9 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 11:04   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for that but as you can see from my pics attached mine is a lot more complex than that so I’m struggling to find the right bit - can you point me in the right direction?

Seems like a simple fix once I’ve figured which bit of the spaghetti I need to look at!
It's certainly tight in there with the 4-pot engine!

It looks (but i could be wrong) like the main vac hose from the manifold that will feed the T piece for the heater is the top one, it looks like there are two NRVs near the bulkhead - all have been marked with a magenta ring.

You know what you're looking for from my pic but it seems they're hidden on yours because the engine is taller and in line, rather than my Vee engine. They'll be there somewhere, just a case of finding them i think.

Old May 31st, 2021, 15:41   #9
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Thanks that’s really helpful. I’ll order some bits to replace all the hose and connectors.
I think mine is much smaller than 8mm though, it’s the same size as the other vacuum tubes, maybe 4 or 5 mm?
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 15:48   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks that’s really helpful. I’ll order some bits to replace all the hose and connectors.
I think mine is much smaller than 8mm though, it’s the same size as the other vacuum tubes, maybe 4 or 5 mm?
Don't be fooled by them! Some of the short rubber hoses are 4-5mm one end but 8mm the other, remove and check yours (it'll be good practice) before ordering.

I'd be surprised if Volvo used something different on the facelift 760 which is what mine is, i believe they used it to guage reaction to the forthcoming 940 as the exterior and much of the interior is so similar but quite a lot different to the previous 760 and the 740.

Have a look at my first pic showing the two NRVs going into the T piece in the engine bay - 5mm nylon tubes one end, straight onto the NRV the other end then look at my third pic with the centre of the T piece with the NRVs still attached and the open ends that fit into the hoses that connect to the 5mm nylon hard lines. You'll see what i mean!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: