Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air Con Not That Cool - Re-gass?

Views : 1687

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2021, 18:23   #1
anotheruser

Default Air Con Not That Cool - Re-gass?

In my car, the air con is cool but not really cold.
Does this require a re-gas and will that improve the temperature output?
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 18:45   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

In an ideal world, you use diagnostics to view all of the data from the climate module.
Incorrect temperature sensor data for example can cause problems on an otherwise working system.

In the absence of data, a regas is a reasonable guess and starting point but won't make a difference if gas pressure isn't the cause.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 07:24   #3
green van man
Premier Member

I have mine regassed every 2 or 3 years.
The gas also contains a lubricant that keeps the compressor turning freely.
No seal is 100% and over time there is bound to be loss of pressure.
Volvo also recommend regas every 3 years on my car.

There are many places that can do it. I use my local dealer and have had no problems. Others have used a local depot of a national tyre company and had nothing but trouble. My advise would be to take it somewhere you trust to do a good job and will stand by their work.

Paul.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:21   #4
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
The air coming out of my ventilation isn't as cold as previous cars I've had but overall it works fine. Hasn't got worse in the 3 years I've had it so I suspect that Volvo may have limited the cooling power for economy purposes?
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 18:31   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The air coming out of my ventilation isn't as cold as previous cars I've had but overall it works fine. Hasn't got worse in the 3 years I've had it so I suspect that Volvo may have limited the cooling power for economy purposes?
None of my cars are new enough to have such technology, if it's not working, it's because it's broken.

Paul.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 11:58   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
None of my cars are new enough to have such technology
You'd be surprised.
Even my 2002 has a sun intensity sensor which can make the climate system react with a higher fan speed to compensate for intense direct sun.
There's quite a few ways that non-working ac doesn't mean you have a duff compressor or physical failure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 12:15   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
None of my cars are new enough to have such technology, if it's not working, it's because it's broken.

Paul.
You need to properly define 'not working'! Anything less than 100% of imagined performance?

I'm perfectly happy with my aircon despite noticing that other cars seem to produce noticeably cooler air. That doesn't mean that mine has a fault and maybe neither has the OP's?
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 12:27   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
first of all you have to verify the temperature coming from the vents with a thermometer , on max cooling * if it is around 8C on a normal 20c day its fine ...

* max cooling is:
About half fan speed
Directed to dash vents
Recirculation on ...

The word re-gas is over used , the system is sealed and if you have to have that done every 3 years there is a leak . no question about it..

Since the new AC handling laws 10 years ago it is illegal to simply refill a system , it must be checked for leaks first .. a vacuum test built into old machines was never suitable as the system works at about 200 psi not minus 14 psi ( vacuum ) the vacuum can suck a crack closed therefore any leak of that nature will not be detected ..
Oxygen free nitrogen is used to pressurise the system now to detect leaks with the aid of a soapy water spray bottle .

The weakest system from volvo was on the S40/V50/C30/C70 with the ford condensers which corroded .
The best models are the old S40/V40 of which many still have the original gas in ..

AC gas loss is not a problem for volvo generally ..

Yes I'm a qualified Automotive AC system engineer , you have to be now before you are allowed to work on Car AC Systems ..
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 12:34   #9
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
first of all you have to verify the temperature coming from the vents with a thermometer , on max cooling * if it is around 8C on a normal 20c day its fine ...
Yep. The '82 240GLT I got from Dad when neither of us managed to sell it for him had pathetic anaemic aircon; but it wasn't the cooling system itself, as it'd push out 1°C air on a 35°C day no problems at the vent. The problem was in the ducting or the fan itself.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 16:24   #10
V40T4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

* max cooling is:
About half fan speed
Directed to dash vents
Recirculation on ...

The word re-gas is over used , the system is sealed and if you have to have that done every 3 years there is a leak . no question about it..

Since the new AC handling laws 10 years ago it is illegal to simply refill a system , it must be checked for leaks first .. a vacuum test built into old machines was never suitable as the system works at about 200 psi not minus 14 psi ( vacuum ) the vacuum can suck a crack closed therefore any leak of that nature will not be detected ..
Oxygen free nitrogen is used to pressurise the system now to detect leaks with the aid of a soapy water spray bottle .

The weakest system from volvo was on the S40/V50/C30/C70 with the ford condensers which corroded .
The best models are the old S40/V40 of which many still have the original gas in ..

AC gas loss is not a problem for volvo generally ..

Yes I'm a qualified Automotive AC system engineer , you have to be now before you are allowed to work on Car AC Systems ..
I can confirm my old 1999 V40 have the original gas, still cool in the sun here in Portugal