Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 49928

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:33   #261
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You're spoiled for choice really Tom. The obvious answer is the B230E but considering the extra weight and errr............. "house-brick" aerodynamics of the hearse probably wouldn't give that much of an improvement. That said, it's about the closest you'll get to a straight swap.

Next, going up in size would be the B280E which is a V6 but finding one would be the problem.

Not quite so hard to find, a V8 from a Range-Rover, preferably the 3.9 for the extra torque. The ZF 4HP22 autobox was used on that originally so there should be a few around with the box already attached. Volvo also used the ZF 4HP22 so shouldn't be hard to sort that out.

If you really want something bigger, consider the 1UZ engine and A341E auto box from an early Lexus LS400, the gearbox is Toyotas version of the AW71 box you already have so minimal modification needed. The engine would be a slightly different prospect but it's been done many times, just search YouTube for "Volvo 740 1UZ" and you should find something.

One or two to whet your whistle :

https://youtu.be/uiNy7lCo4cE

https://youtu.be/2iKNN2i4ZLE

https://youtu.be/hDmtezlc98o

First two are "just for gits and shiggles", third contains some stuff that will give you an insight into what's involved, albeit in a 240 but the 740 is very similar in the engine bay so will give you a fair idea.

You'll obviously need to alter the back axle to take advantage of the extra torque/power, a 3.54:1 or even better, a 3.31:1 would be good. Consider the donor car (LS400) is about half a ton heavier than the hearse yet returns much better economy, granted the aerodynamics are better but you see where i'm going with this.

There are other options such as the smaller Lexus that use a V6 but if you're going to go to the trouble of fitting an "alien" engine then go big or don't go at all.

You'll notice i've suggested engines that are pretty torquey on the bottom end and still have plenty of power as this is most likely what will suit you best for what you need in the hearse.
Yes, there are other options with more power (16v B230 for example) but those tend to have the power further up the rev range, likewise with turbo conversions.

You could fit a supercharger to your B200 (potentially the simplest way of getting more power and torque) which would increase the power and torque at the bottom end but probably won't help your economy that much as the supercharger is a parasitic loss on the engine.

To give you an example of how parasitic the supercharger is, remember your green LPG powered beastie you had before the hearse?
The previous owner of that looked at fitting LPG to (what was then) his dads (but now his) Jaguar SuperV8 which puts out about 450bhp ish (can't remember the exact figure) but found that because of the superchargers parasitic losses, it actually needs about 600bhp worth of LPG being fired into it.

There are a lot of other things to consider as well such as insurance and how much it's going to cost once you've changed the engine (for anything) as regardless of whatever engine you fit, they will consider it a modification (unless it's a straight B200E replacement) but given that it's already a hearse, it might not be so bad.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:09   #262
360beast
Go redblock or go home

T5 engine... Just saying haha.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 19:02   #263
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
T5 engine... Just saying haha.
That would be great! But a bit more involved than I fancy! Assuming it's possible with the FWD to RWD conversion too?

Brilliant advice as always Dave, thanks. I drove a 2.3 n/a (with the more advanced injection system and ZF autobox) a week or two ago and was pleasantly surprised at the difference in torque and get-up-and-go, over my B200E, but as you say - that may still be insufficient with an LPG conversion and an even heavier car once converted.

So it seems that the most logical swap would be the 2.8 V6? This is good, 170 odd bhp and a V6 soundtrack appeal to me! Any specifics to look out for - i'm assuming the B280E is the Jetronic injection, and i'd need a locking torque converter on the autobox, so post 1988?

Your estate is a B280E IIRC Dave? What's your opinion of it, especially compared to your 827 - a quite appropriate comparison really.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 19:46   #264
TomSaintJames

The Hearse has heard us talking! It's sat at my OH's work car park, not starting with a supposed flat battery...

Guess what i'm doing after work!
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 21:33   #265
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
That would be great! But a bit more involved than I fancy! Assuming it's possible with the FWD to RWD conversion too?

Brilliant advice as always Dave, thanks. I drove a 2.3 n/a (with the more advanced injection system and ZF autobox) a week or two ago and was pleasantly surprised at the difference in torque and get-up-and-go, over my B200E, but as you say - that may still be insufficient with an LPG conversion and an even heavier car once converted.

So it seems that the most logical swap would be the 2.8 V6? This is good, 170 odd bhp and a V6 soundtrack appeal to me! Any specifics to look out for - i'm assuming the B280E is the Jetronic injection, and i'd need a locking torque converter on the autobox, so post 1988?

Your estate is a B280E IIRC Dave? What's your opinion of it, especially compared to your 827 - a quite appropriate comparison really.
The T5 conversion is possible but it's not for the faint-hearted and again, you'd have turbo lag of some description. Also the whiteblocks seem to have a habit of cracking the cylinder liners resulting in a dead engine.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=135987

That thread is worth a read, all about converting a 245GLT into what i would call a 255GLT-t. Started out with the B230E (same injection as yours and as the auto would have been you tried Tom) and was converted to T5 power. It's a little on the long side (118 pages) but has a lot of information.

Why would you need a lock-up torque converter if you went for a B280E Tom? Mine hasn't got one and if you were going to go for the B280E, i'd suggest getting the box with the engine to minimise downtime. To be honest, it doesn't need it, once the car is rolling, anything over 2000rpm and the torque converter is almost as good as locked. It does still function as a TC but with very little slip.

As for comparing the 760 and 827, the only real comparison i can make is the 760 is about as close as i've found to an 827 estate. If i was going to use either for towing or load-lugging, it would be the 760 as it has better low down torque. The 827 being a multivalve engine is better at the top end of the range though.
As for what you should look for in a donor car, all the usual applies. Try and get the whole car, you'll need the LH-Jetronic loom and a few other bits like the EZ118K ignition unit, other things like the alternator would be handy to have as well (bigger output and slightly different shape) and you'll need the front end of the exhaust too.

Avoid the B280F (Lambda and cat) as you lose 23bhp in the cat. Finding a V6 might be a struggle though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 21:40   #266
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
The Hearse has heard us talking! It's sat at my OH's work car park, not starting with a supposed flat battery...

Guess what i'm doing after work!
Did he leave the lights on?

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 13:43   #267
TomSaintJames

I'm after simplicity on a budget, so i'll give the T5 a miss ta!

I was under the impression that a torque converter that locks up gives a noticeable fuel economy improvement? I intent to use the gearbox that comes with the engine/car anyway, but would pick a locking TC over one that doesn't, all else being equal.

Will avoid the F, that's a fair loss of power!

With the hearse now, we didn't get to it last night but I thought that the lights turned off automatically when the ignition is off? If not it wouldn't be the first time Steve left the lights on and drained a car's battery!

Now then, roll up cheap, low mileage, good condition 760's!
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 14:22   #268
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You're right about the lock-up TC improving economy but to be fair, the TC on the 760 is pretty tight in that respect, maybe later models had a lock-up but mine doesn't.

Simplicity on a budget? Hmmm, a few options but they're all going to be thirstier. Simplest of all is the B230E option but that's very little gain for a fair amount of effort. yes it will be an improvement but not enough to warrant the work and cost involved IMHO so not really worth it unless the engine came to you for very little cost. Even then i'd think twice.

If the sidelights are on, they don't go off with the ignition, only the main headlights. The day running lights go off with the ignition so first thing to check is the headlight switch, second is the interior light, if the switch was knocked or put in the wrong position, that would bring the interior light on, flattening the battery enough to stop it starting. Alternatively, one of the cells in the battery could have died.

Think you need to be more specific when you say "roll up cheap, low mileage, good condition 760's!" as it would be the V6 that would make the most improvement without resorting to a turbo which wouldn't necessarily give you the gains you need in bottom end torque etc.

*** EDIT ***

Just to tempt you a little more :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V6-METAL-...O/112943493951

Finishing touch for the tailgate when it's done!

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jun 26th, 2019 at 15:09.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 10:09   #269
TomSaintJames

Hearse sorted - very low charge battery, the starter motor just clicked, not enough jiuce to turn over the engien. OH confirms that sidelights were used, and could well have been left on. Probably because the Venga of boredom turns everything off by itself when you turn the ignition off.

Two speaker grilles sourced and fitted! Hurrah! Turns out the front and rear grillea re the same. Just need to find the drivers door card handle/window switch trim now. It's proving difficult!

On the lookout for 760 V6's too.
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Jun 28th, 2019 at 10:28.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 10:28   #270
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

D'oh!

You'll probably find even on the Venga the sidelights (aka "parking lights") can be left on for parking purposes. Might be worth fitting a lights on warning buzzer to the hearse to avoid a repeat performance though.