Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Has anyone bought bi-xenon Ballast recently ?

Views : 619

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 14:00   #1
BJB

Default Has anyone bought bi-xenon Ballast recently ?

The reason I'm asking this, is because earlier this year I've had to change both the Ballasts. I bought them from Lichtex(Germany) via ebay. It has cured the the headlight from going out, but have realized that the Self Levelling isn't working. My Indy Volvo garage says that they are the wrong ones (1 307 329 293 01) and are not compatible with the original ones (1 307 329 098) as VIDA can't communicate with it. Lichtex have been extremely helpful and says the same software is used on both .
Has anyone else had this problem ? Or like me, hadn't really checked....
Lichtex £85 (each)------ Volvo £230 (£230)
Thanks for any replies.
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 13:14   #2
FoxyR

I bought a ballast last year for my XC 90 that is now away. Bought it on eBay, paid around £50 and haven't had a problem. My DH fitted them and the light worked perfectly for over a year. I know it doesn't really answer your question, but it literally was 'plug and play'
FoxyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 18:48   #3
BJB

Thanks for that FoxyR. I have since been informed that new ballasts have to have had a pre-programming from Volvo themselves, before Vida can communicate with it for self-levellers. Both my ballasts have gone back to be checked. I only hope they agree, and are/will do a pre-program, before returning them !
Strange thing is that I put my old units back on, and haven't as yet (10 days) had the bulb go out!!!! Where one went out regularly.....
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 17:37   #4
hansC30

Exact same issue here, also with lichtex.de, they ere very helpful indeed but upon sending them back I only got a reply that they were working correctly, that's where the help stopped... Before replacing the ballasts, I replaced the headlights, after replacing them with the ones from lichte, I bought second hand ones, worked fine for a day, then same error, guy at the garage told me it could be possible that the xenon light itself could break the ballast..
hansC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 23:01   #5
FoxyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB View Post
Thanks for that FoxyR. I have since been informed that new ballasts have to have had a pre-programming from Volvo themselves, before Vida can communicate with it for self-levellers. Both my ballasts have gone back to be checked. I only hope they agree, and are/will do a pre-program, before returning them !
Strange thing is that I put my old units back on, and haven't as yet (10 days) had the bulb go out!!!! Where one went out regularly.....
Do you mind me asking where you get your bulbs? I'm guessing not Volvos? My headlight stopped working altogether and Volvo garage quoted me over £300 for a new headlight unit. THat's when forum came in handy and we ordered a ballast from eBay. It worked a treat!
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 09:06   #6
BJB

Do you mean d2s bulbs. I think mine are Osram xenarc 5000k +20% ? without checking. Great bulbs and the pair were around £80 ish through eBay . (extremebulbs.com) IIRC. It's down to your own preference, but I prefer them around 5000k.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJB For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 11:15   #7
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB View Post
Do you mean d2s bulbs. I think mine are Osram xenarc 5000k +20% ? without checking. Great bulbs and the pair were around £80 ish through eBay . (extremebulbs.com) IIRC. It's down to your own preference, but I prefer them around 5000k.
I just got set of Xenarc NB Unlimited for 55GBP from Amazon. Worth checking out their Amazon Warehouse deals as sometimes prices are just stunning...
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 12:59   #8
FoxyR

[QUOTE=BJB;2333532]Thanks for that FoxyR. I have since been informed that new ballasts have to have had a pre-programming from Volvo themselves, before Vida can communicate with it for self-levellers. Both my ballasts have gone back to be checked. I only hope they agree, and are/will do a pre-program, before returning them !

That is strange, hopefully you'll get them sorted. Mine just went off and didn't come back on until the ballast was changed.