Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is C30 D2 engine same as D2 in 2012>V40 ?

Views : 1901

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2018, 19:17   #1
EdMan

Default Is C30 D2 engine same as D2 in 2012>V40 ?

Hi all.

I was hoping someone could share some wisdom on C30 D2 engines. I tried to find some engine codes online and failed at it.

Basically, I'm looking at purchasing a face-lift C30 D2 around 50k miles on the clock. I've heard some horror stories about older 1.6D engines and I would like to avoid them. I used to own a 15 plate V40 with D2 engine, and it was trouble free for almost 30k miles until I sold it. I know that D2 engine, that was used in 2012> V40's was rebuilt/improved by Volvo and most of the common issues were resolved.

So does this mean that early D2 engines were still considered to be bad, or is it just a confusion because people think 1.6D is the same engine as D2 and they say that they are all bad?

Oh, and does D2 on C30 have the "trouble-free" DPF or does it still have the "wet" filter?

Ideally I would get 2.0 petrol engine, but I'm doing 25k miles per year and diesel saves me +£1000 in fuel.

Any advice is greatly appreciated on this matter!

Cheers
Ed
EdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 22:04   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Sorry not sure what year the Dry DPF was introduced over the Wet in the C30...

However, why go for the Peugeot D2 engine when there are Volvo 5-pot D3/D4/D5 diesel engines available that all have the dry DPF?
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 08:22   #3
Rusty1

I think people do get the 1.6D (16 valve cylinder head) and the D2 (8 valve) mixed up. I believe all D2s have the zero maintenance DPF, my C30 is at 98k miles and I’ve had no DPF issues at all.
Rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 08:43   #4
EdMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Sorry not sure what year the Dry DPF was introduced over the Wet in the C30...

However, why go for the Peugeot D2 engine when there are Volvo 5-pot D3/D4/D5 diesel engines available that all have the dry DPF?
Hmm, is there a way how we can trace the engines down by their manufacturing codes or Volvo models? I know that many people know engines by their codes, but I don't know where to find such info.

That is a valid point and makes perfect sense to go for Volvo engines over Peugeot, however, with the mileage that I do , I would get more savings out of D2. In my honest opinion, D3 is a great engine, but if D3 can only do 55mpg, then it is not worth getting it with savings in mind, and just go for 2.0l petrol engine which would do 42-45mpg on my commute. And, it being simpler engine, should require less repairs in future. Oh, and when I had V40 D2, I was getting 65mpg (62mpg real) on my daily commute. That being said, it was painfully slow and danger to the life when you need to overtake on A roads.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 08:46   #5
EdMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1 View Post
I think people do get the 1.6D (16 valve cylinder head) and the D2 (8 valve) mixed up. I believe all D2s have the zero maintenance DPF, my C30 is at 98k miles and I’ve had no DPF issues at all.
Thanks for sharing your experience! How about any EGR issues? I have 2010 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI and it is a constant battle with EGR, DPF and leaking injectors.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 21:57   #6
Rusty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience! How about any EGR issues? I have 2010 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI and it is a constant battle with EGR, DPF and leaking injectors.
No issues at all with EGR or injectors. I've had the car since new and do 20k miles a year mostly on motorways so it gets used as a diesel needs to be. I've had it serviced on time mostly by Volvo only recently using an independent for the big cambelt service @ 87.5k miles. All is good so far.
Rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 22:07   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

As has been said - the later 8v engine (identifiable in the C30 as it has a 6-speed gearbox not 5) had many of the issues sorted but still needs correct maintenance and oils.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 08:01   #8
EdMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1 View Post
No issues at all with EGR or injectors. I've had the car since new and do 20k miles a year mostly on motorways so it gets used as a diesel needs to be. I've had it serviced on time mostly by Volvo only recently using an independent for the big cambelt service @ 87.5k miles. All is good so far.
That sounds great. May I ask what mpg do you get out of it on your commute? And how expensive was the big service with cambelt being done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
As has been said - the later 8v engine (identifiable in the C30 as it has a 6-speed gearbox not 5) had many of the issues sorted but still needs correct maintenance and oils.
This is really helpful. Thanks for this! Is it some special oil that needs to be used with these engines, or as long as it is maintained in time it should be good?
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 08:50   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
This is really helpful. Thanks for this! Is it some special oil that needs to be used with these engines, or as long as it is maintained in time it should be good?
Nothing "special" needed, just get it serviced in accordance with the Volvo schedule and spec of oil - which isn't unusual.

The earlier 16v engines aren't that bad - they're just not as reliable compared to Volvo's own engines but that's a hard act to follow... The wet DPF system can be a pain in the ar5e however.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 10:57   #10
EdMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Nothing "special" needed, just get it serviced in accordance with the Volvo schedule and spec of oil - which isn't unusual.

The earlier 16v engines aren't that bad - they're just not as reliable compared to Volvo's own engines but that's a hard act to follow... The wet DPF system can be a pain in the ar5e however.

Thanks, it makes sense.
Wet DPF does scare me alot. All the potential savings that can be made on fuel can go down the drain when it comes to the DPF replacement.