Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC 90 D5 Inscription observations in the first 2 weeks

Views : 1960

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2019, 21:38   #11
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by uro1 View Post
Are You sure it is not the "lane keeping assistant" you are feeling on the steering wheel?

I have a D5 and no vibrations on the pas pedal. Let that check in the garage.
Yep. Fully agree this is the issue here. When I test drove the XC90 I was quite worried about the steering wheel vibration. Then I realised it was the lane keeping notifying me and trying to steer back into the lane.

I turned it off and all was normal. I keep it turned on now though as I rather like it.

It doesn't make the pedal vibrate though, but it could feel like that if you aren't sure what it is.
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 07:56   #12
marceloavg

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Are you moving from the current Q7 or previous generation?

I'm currently considering a move the other way! Grass is always greener on the other side and all...

:wq

I moved from a current generation 2016 Q7 272 hp sline to the Volvo.

I had a XC90 II Momentum back when it was launched which I sold to invest in a property and always had a soft spot for the car. Love the looks, the safety features (the Audi is nowhere near as comprehensive) and the relaxing cabin (yes, I have the light interior and find it quite relaxing).

The Audi indeed has a lovely engine, pulls like a train but also imho has a slow responding gearbox so you never feel that the speed it can deliver and the torque at pedal are that impressive. It is a very economical engine though, slightly better than the XC90 which is a great plus.

The Audi cabin feels well designed and the whole vehicle as well, but I doesn't feel special, it is darker and with clear lines. The digital cockpit display is better than Volvo's though. The air suspension is also better at the Audi, feels more settled at low speeds and less bouncy.

The basic sound system of the Volvo is impressive and wins hands down, not even worth a comparison.

I prefer the external design of the Volvo, its all around beautiful whilst the Audi has a "get used to" front, ok side and nice rear design.

All in all both good choices, for me it came down to my Q7 coming close to its warranty period (about 6 months left) and being at 35,000 on the clock. I found a stunning, low mileage, fully spec'd (I mean fully) Inscription that ticked all the boxes I wanted and ex-demo from the dealer which was lovely, and had close to no miles, only used for a few months and at a reasonable discount from new, so it met my requirements.

When I sit on the car, and look around, I always think there is really not a need for anything more (imho)
marceloavg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 08:30   #13
jonnyu

Also moved from Audi. One thing I can tell you is that if you were looking to Volvo as a replacement for your Audi, you chose the wrong brand.
Volvo is an upgrade on several aspects but it's not considered better or worse comparing to cars from Audi.
It's 2 different mindsets, 2 different ways how to handle driving and 2 different ways of what a car should be. So, you can't compare both brands.
Compare between Audi and Mercedes or BMW sure. German cars vs Volvo, no.
Having said that:

1. The ambient lighting: In Audi, you have the option of having your car setup almost as a tuning car. Full leds inside, outside, over, under the car. Volvo is more discrete about this and if you increase the intensity of your ambient lighting it serves perfectly the purpose. To have shiny lights all over the car is not the way Volvo designs it's cars.

3. The diesel clutter and vibrations: many D5 drivers complain about similar issues.

4. There is a constant whistling sound coming from the blower unit: this is not normal

5. Why do I need to change the driving mode every time: because it has to do with the emissions regulations. The comfort mode is the out of the box option that complies with all the emission rules. You can change this if you want but unlike Audi that cheats on emission tests, Volvo doesn't and complies with EU and US regulations. So whenever you start the car it will reset to the option that complies with the emission regulations.

7. DAB reception is very intermittent: I use the tunein app that allows me to use internet radio. it's a very good alternative to the DAB reception.

8. There is a black box and an ugly black: no idea what this might be
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 14:03   #14
simmondp

Default Re: New XC 90 D5 Inscription observations in the first 2 we

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Newbee View Post
I moved from Audi Q7 to XC90 as I was super impressed by the quality & quantity of technology available in the XC 90 in comparison to Q7. However here are a few annoying bits
2. I can't seem to access the radio channel library/other media on the driver display unit which was easily accessible and available on Audi Virtual Cockpit.

Try saying USB, FM or DAB
Failing that it's on the steering wheel menu

3. The diesel clutter and vibrations are felt on the gas pedal & the steering wheel and it's very uncomfortable over long journeys. Does anyone else feel the same?

I have the new B5 engine in mine, an no issues!

4. There is a constant whistling sound coming from the blower unit, I am assuming it isn't normal and needs to be checked.

I'd say it is - get it checked

5. Why do I need to change the driving mode every time shouldn't it pick the last one by default?

No, you need to set your key to a profile for you, and then you can set the default driving mode you want.

6. No door puddle projector lamps. Has anyone tried replacing the door puddle lamps with Volvo logo projector lamps?

7. DAB reception is very intermittent, I still live in the same area and never had any issues with the Q7 but Volvo's DAB is terrible and there is an echo which isn't there when I switch to FM.

Again, no problems found with mine (ask your dealer)

8. There is a black box and an ugly black thick wire underneath the driver seat which is protruding out. Is this normal

No - again not on mine.
simmondp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 15:21   #15
Fursty Ferret

Do you have a phone charger or dash cam connected to the 12V socket? Many of them produce interference that knocks out DAB in any area that doesn't have very strong signal.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 19:48   #16
blobfish

You have the B5 engine... what it like? Didn’t think it was out until September.
blobfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 17:51   #17
Dilinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmondp View Post
I have the new B5 engine in mine, an no issues!
You have the B5 engine?

Can you tell us more please? And if you had the chance to compare it with D5?
Dilinger is offline   Reply With Quote