Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers door wont close

Views : 590

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 00:07   #1
Drgoodlove

Default Drivers door wont close

Hi,
Im finding it really hard to close the drivers door. Most of the time it wont stay dhut and pings back open. Its even done it whilst driving 🥴
Any ideas on what it is and how to stop or repair it?
Thanks
Drgoodlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 04:31   #2
Bashy
Aged Member

Have you tried, open the door, using a screw driver, close the lock mechanism by hand, close both catchments, ie make sure you get the harder second locking. Does it close both catchments ok? try to move it back open using driver, does it come open or stay closed?

If it stays closed then my 1st port would be to see if the catch hook thingy on the B post is even slight adjustable and same with the lock mechanism, loosen then adjust, pull towards you for the B post and same for the catch mechanism, and tighten. Failing that then the catch itself has worn to the point of replacement needed. Its not sommat you hear about going often mind.....
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 09:27   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I'm sure the OP knows what model of car he is driving, but none of the rest of us do. It would help if posters put their car model and its year of manufacture in their signature or failing that just mentioned it in their posting. Perhaps he drives the same car as I do and I would be interested in his problem, or perhaps he doesn't and I know that I cannot contribute. At the moment this is a generic query about any lock on any car door and doesn't harness the strength of a specific car make forum like this one.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 09:31   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

That maybe so but most actual mechanisms are the same, so the ideas i posted pretty much suits most makes let alone models.

Once established at what point the failure is at then we can go forward and worry about the handle rods and so forth
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 10:41   #5
Drgoodlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgoodlove View Post
Hi,
Im finding it really hard to close the drivers door. Most of the time it wont stay dhut and pings back open. Its even done it whilst driving 🥴
Any ideas on what it is and how to stop or repair it?
Thanks
Apologies
Its a v70 59 plate D5 r design
Drgoodlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 06:51   #6
green van man
Premier Member

I think the adjustment is on the B post catch.
Slacken the fixings pull the catch as far forward as possible and just nip the fixings up, close the door firmly, open the door and tighten the fixings. Try the door, repeat if nessesary.

It's how I've always adjusted door shutting. It's only the landrover I have met where the lock on the door is adjusted but that has a single pin type catch. Same principle applies, loosen, nip, shut, open , tighten, try, repeat if nessesary.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 17:55   #7
MariusM

I had (have?) a related problem. Once I forgot to use by fob, grabbed the handle and door opened. Sticky rod or some mechanism, probably. It also caused alarm to sound sometimes in the past. I've used silicon spray and was OK past month.
But maybe the root of your problem is different.
MariusM is offline   Reply With Quote