Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear suspension loud bang.

Views : 715

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:34   #1
Ern

Default Rear suspension loud bang.

I tow a caravan with nose weight about 90Kg. I am confident there is no caravan suspension fault and it is only 3yrs old.
Several times this year since summer, I have towed over large bumps or dips in the road unexpected at speed I wouldn't if I had known about it, and the car suspension has had a real thump as you would expect. I have had a Volvo dealer annual service and MOT and neither can find anything wrong with the suspension. the loud bang every time I accidentally drive over any unexpected obstacle like a hidden speed bump or hidden dip, is very alarming. I'm a bit past having a go at it myself as I certainly would have in years gone by. has anyone got an idea what the issue may be?
By the way, I think the loud bang is not the initial shock impact but the suspension reaction a split second after. I have even had the caravan checked to see if the body is coming loose on the chassis (which has been known on some caravans)
Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 00:32   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

sounds like suspension topping out ... no rebound damping. how old are your shocks ?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 09:59   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

I had the caravan body come loose from the chassis. There was no noise but I could see it moving in the rear view mirror a couple of times after it had gone over a bump. Fixed twice under warranty and I was not confident that it was fully sorted so I tried the van in.

If you are getting a loud bang then it is most probably something on the car!

Is your jockey wheel fully up? If not fully wound up and tight it might have come loose and wound down and botted out?
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 20:42   #4
Ern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
sounds like suspension topping out ... no rebound damping. how old are your shocks ?
The car is 10 yr old, but only 68.000 miles. Weve had it since it ended a 3yr Motobility lease with 18,000 miles and was immaculate, and still is. I have it serviced by the Volvo dealer apart (from 2 yrs). however weve towed a bit and at that age I wondered if shockers were due. No comment from the service people though.

I might just replace them anyway if its not too much £.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 21:20   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

I'd get all four road springs checked. They can break very low down in the spring seat, which can be hard to spot. I had a Saab which broke both a front and a rear coil spring at diferent times. When the front one broke it took two visits to diferent garages to get the problem diagnosed. Although there was a clonk when the front of the car went over a bump, the noise was much more noticeable when the rear wheels hit a bump or a pothole, so at first everyone was looking at the wrong end of the car! The first garage missed it altogether. I had also had a rear spring break on our little Nissan Note, and that was only found when I picked up the broken piece from the driveway and realised what it was. It has broken so low down in the seat that the ride height was not noticeably affected.

I was told that the weakest part of a road spring is deliberately engineered into the lowest turn so that if it does break the spring should stay contained within the spring seat and not fly apart and damage the tyre. That does sound sensible to me.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Dec 9th, 2019 at 21:23.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 07:22   #6
green van man
Premier Member

What car?
Given its 10 years old the recommended limit nose weight on a v or xc 70 is 75kgs not 90 according to my 2009 xc70 handbook.
It may just be the jockey wheel grounding. Other than that a broken spring which has been mentioned already.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 17:31   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

Shocks fail at anytime after 50 k . Also check the rear suspension rear trailing arm front bushes . Typically these make an irritating squeak but can make a very loud bang if de-lamination is bad . These again cam fail from 50 k but main culprit for failure is ust causing the rubber bushing to de-laminate from the bush housing . many mot garages miss it as its behind a plastic cover whic they are not allowed to remove . Not dangerous but can make the back of the car feel loose and noisy .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 19:31   #8
Ern

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
What car?
Given its 10 years old the recommended limit nose weight on a v or xc 70 is 75kgs not 90 according to my 2009 xc70 handbook.
It may just be the jockey wheel grounding. Other than that a broken spring which has been mentioned already.

Paul.
Thanks green van man. The car is MY2010 SEL with 90Kg limit according to my handbook. I've always towed with the caravan loaded so that the nose weight is dead right according to my Reich weighing device at 90Kg. Never had a problem until a few months ago. The banging was awful on holiday in France and again Sunday towing home after a weekend away. The nature of the dip in the road and towing speed was not such that there should be any drama, but again the banging was loud so something is certainly wrong. By the way, the back seat was empty and very little gear in the boot. I've towed with the boot fully loaded and much heavier.. I had the MOT place check it over again on the platform today and they can't find anything wrong but they didn't use any pinch bars or anything to look for wear so I'm not sure they were really that interested.

Last edited by Ern; Dec 10th, 2019 at 19:39. Reason: info added
The Following User Says Thank You to Ern For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 20:27   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ern View Post
I tow a caravan with nose weight about 90Kg. I am confident there is no caravan suspension fault and it is only 3yrs old.
Several times this year since summer, I have towed over large bumps or dips in the road unexpected at speed I wouldn't if I had known about it, and the car suspension has had a real thump as you would expect. I have had a Volvo dealer annual service and MOT and neither can find anything wrong with the suspension. the loud bang every time I accidentally drive over any unexpected obstacle like a hidden speed bump or hidden dip, is very alarming. I'm a bit past having a go at it myself as I certainly would have in years gone by. has anyone got an idea what the issue may be?
By the way, I think the loud bang is not the initial shock impact but the suspension reaction a split second after. I have even had the caravan checked to see if the body is coming loose on the chassis (which has been known on some caravans)
it is also possible that your top shock mounting may have failed . its an easy fix check them when you check your shocks they need to be removed to check them properly
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 20:34   #10
ksmi
Master Member

Cool Seek and ye shall find........eventually

Evening Ern, Have you checked the tow bar fixings under the car? if not would suggest getting under there with a torch or inspection lamp and looking for something loose or even cracks in the sheet metal. Good luck in your search.

Regards,Keith.