Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to: Changing the rear support arm bushes.

Views : 1377

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2009, 22:34   #1
carl4u44
Master Member

Default How to: Changing the rear support arm bushes.

Hi folks. OK I would love to set up a how to technical section on this with plenty of pictures. I'm hoping the admin might consider opening up the article section for this? Or indeed moving this thread to the article section. Here anyone who has successfully carried out work to their car can add it to the how to section, this means people can get an idea in searching for and solving their problems, be it noises, clunks, electrical and leaks etc etc.

Recently I heard a knocking noise coming from the rear arch of my car, it also squeaked heavily going over bumps. I removed the back wheel and checked all the bushes, shocks, drop links, roll bar bushes in that area where the noise was (anything rubber inside metal). At first I thought it was the handbrake cable knocking against the sill but it turned out to be the 'front rear support arm bush', as it has a lot of play in it and the rubber was heavily deteriorated.

The photo above shows the easy location of the rear support arm.

A closer view again, sorry about the small writing its my first attempt. Your wheel brace's flat tip can be used to prize for 'free play'!

You will need a press for the job or a heavy vice to push the bushes in and out, a hydraulic press makes it a lot easier, although expensive its a good investment for this work.

Removal of the support arm is simple but some good sockets and wd 40 is required

I ordered 2 new bushes from Volvo parts online a £5 each plus £5 delivery (£15) in total.

When they arrive hopefully by Saturday I will update this post with pictures and in bullet point of step by step. If any one knows how I can edit my thread instead of replying to my post I would be most grateful.

Will update soon!

Last edited by carl4u44; Nov 12th, 2009 at 22:50.
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 22:44   #2
tigtog

good idea,i use a transit for my business and am a member on a ford transit forum.they have loads of how tos for repairing the vans,and has come in really handy for me not to mention saving me a few quid on garage bills.

as for editing your post there should be a box at the bottom of your post that says edit.
tigtog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 22:49   #3
carl4u44
Master Member

Thanks! yea the Nissan forum has a 'how to' as well. I think its time to get some ideas flowing.

I found the edit button doesn't stay around too long, i.e. if i log out, then back in, it doesn't give me the edit choice anymore? Maybe im picking it up wrong?

***Just read in the help section that editing your posts may be time limited***

Last edited by carl4u44; Nov 12th, 2009 at 22:56.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 23:43   #4
440anator
rookie

Smile

nice carl man

im gonna do one for the spoiler installation, I hav tried startin an article 3 weeks ago but it never worked for me :/

yeah its a good idea to start puttin in how tos in the 400 section after all they best cars :P
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 05:52   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

400's......best cars......PFFFT

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 10:37   #6
B20F
Master Member

On the volvo480europeforum you can find more excellent how-to's.
http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum...9aa8afac325a41
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 14:02   #7
Chris_C
Gopher

If you write a howto, and want it in the article section (or spot someone elses that you think would be worth putting in) Click the report post triangle to the left of the post, and in the "reason for reporting" box say you think it would make a good article.

We don't always manage to stray everywhere, and the report thingy can alert us to good things as well as bad!
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 16:54   #8
carl4u44
Master Member

Thank you for that Chris. I will get on the ball with that!
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 12:00   #9
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

We've got some "how to" on our romanian forum. Google translator shoud be good for something, or i can try to help with the translation.

http://www.volvo-club.ro/forum/index...oard,51.0.html
Adi2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:14   #10
carl4u44
Master Member

OK well the bushes didn't arrive until Tuesday. Before that I obtained a good used arm up the scrap yard and replaced it as it was so bad I couldn't wait. However i continued the process today and updated this post with the pictures added.

You will need;

A good jack plus a spare emergency jack
wd40
17mm socket and ring spanner
A hydraulic press or very strong vice!

Jack up car at sill jacking point on level ground making sure its in gear and safe. Remove the relevant rear wheel. Start removing the 3 17mm bolts, one of which is for the rear damper/shock. This can be a bit fiddly if bolts are ceased.

Leverage and wd40 are essential!

As you can see the front bush fell apart when arm was removed and this was causing the clunking noise.

Use a press or strong vice and push the old bushes out, this job is not easy and in some cases the arm may need to be left into a garage if you don't have the tool for the job. Usually a garage will charge a small fee and take maybe a hour for the job at max. But its cheaper than a brand new arm replacement plus labour.

old and new

Next I gave it a wee coat in paint, just to preserve the metal. Certainly not a work of art but its effective.

The end result after fitting the new bushes. Refitting the arm is the opposite of removal, however you may also need to support or lift, with spare jack, and maneuver the rear Axel in order to just wiggle in the last bolt behind the rear brake. Dont forget to install the arm the correct way round!

Last edited by carl4u44; Nov 18th, 2009 at 10:18.