Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated windscreen - surface scratch

Views : 1493

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2018, 16:36   #1
JC888

Default Heated windscreen - surface scratch

I suppose I'm lucky the damage doesn't look as serious as it sounded but it's been an expensive year for me so far in terms of car maintenance...

I can see 3 very small (about 5mm) surface scratch on my heated windscreen at the lower corner passenger side (definitely out of normal driving line of sight).

Question is do I leave it or get it repaired? Is this repairable without changing the whole windscreen?

Old Dec 31st, 2018, 19:25   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

I'm no expert on this but my instinct would be to get them repaired. If there is any depth to the scratches they may become a focal point for thermal shock if you use the heated screen when it's frozen?

Windscreen repairs use a compound with similar optical properties to glass so they become almost invisible as well as providing the necessary strength and protection.

Most insurers will cover the cost for a nominal fee and it won't affect your NCB (at least in theory).
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 23:31   #3
Driver Dave

My insurers, NFU, will pay for a repair with no excess and no impact on NCD. Screen replacement has an excess which varies depending if you use their recommended replacement company or go elsewhere.

All the insurance companies I have had dealings with in the past have had a similar policy.
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 00:18   #4
skippyfox
VOC Member

Defo get them repaired asap. The longer it's left the less chance of a successful repair.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 00:20   #5
JC888

Had windscreen repair in the past (although not heated) and fairly confident this damage can be filled in however it won't be 100% transparent.

I will get in touch with my insurance and arrange for a repair.

Edit: This is interesting, I've gone to my insurers website and there's a link to AutoGlass for repairs. Looking at my insurance documents glass repairs would be covered under the comprehensive policy.
There was some questions on AutoGlass website to fill in about the damage (mine was windscreen, 3 chips and largest chip about 3mm/size of match stick head 3mm) and the website says I don't need repair. I will measure again tomorrow to get a more accurate size.

Last edited by JC888; Jan 1st, 2019 at 00:29.
JC888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 11:52   #6
Driver Dave

If you have an Autoglass outlet nearby I would take it in and let them have a look at it, a small chip can soon develop into a major crack, especially on these screens which are extremely thin.
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 15:44   #7
SimNugget

I had similar on my BMW M2, had it repaired at my cost £30 as my insurance still wanted £50 excess to repair it. I was worried about frost and ice turning it into a crack. I can definitely still see it, but it is smooth externally and the air has been pushed out with the resin so should prevent cracks forming.

I am always loathe to have replacement windscreens fitted as non OEN parts are often shyate and with all the cameras, auto lights and HUD stuff nowadays I just don’t want the hassle.

S
SimNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 15:57   #8
JC888

Thanks all. I will contact AutoGlass and see what they say.
Below are better images of the scratches:

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 16:36   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The trouble is that when they are small like yours the filler may not stay in place. Best drive to the glass company and let them look and asses it themselves
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 16:45   #10
JC888

Thanks all. It's £10 excess on mine and I suppose for peace of mind it's best to book an appointment and let them have a look at it.