Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 63842

Replies : 1275

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2023, 18:44   #21
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

I'm a confirmed petrol head. I like the sound of a tuned engine, its intake noise and its balanced exhaust. I prefer normally aspirated engines and enjoy variable valve timing. There is no Tesla that I would rather have than any of the vtec Hondas I've owned. (Except maybe the Semi Truck.)

One day, though, this will change. A petrol or diesel alternative, along with the necessary infrastructure, will be ready for me just as I am ready for it.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 19:09   #22
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
One of the problems I find with electric cars is being able to cut through all of the talk on my the internet to get to the facts and reasoned debate. I watched about half of the linked video and gave up after another assertion without evidence, and even if I accept that there were Tesla’s waiting 15 hours to charge at a services, it wasn’t too long ago that ICE drivers were allegedly following a cement tanker from Birmingham to Kettering in their desperation to get fuel. No car can be the optimal solution for all users, but a shortcoming in one particular situation doesn’t mean it’s totally useless elsewhere.
It happened to a veg oil tanker too….. We seem to be very good at pushing these ideas without keeping up with the infrastructure needs. It sounds good in the media as all these lectric cars are being sold and we use it to wave our green credentials but we don’t mention the negative sides of it readily. I see it all the time in the Ophthalmic industry. Best thing since sliced bread but it takes a few years to iron out the wrinkles. Our Government have become obsessed with it while country starve.
For me, it’s what the future cost of it is. How are we going to be taxed? How recyclable are these batteries? Is it a future fly tipping issue and environmental pollution problem. I’m sure that batteries will become more efficient as the tech develops but what’s the repair and replacement costs gunna be like? More info required

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 20:16   #23
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Not often I bother posting in there so you're honestly not missing much SnineT.

Personally, at times I find it rather Toxic now...............

Opinions eh? 😉

Re Electric cars, the performance is beyond question but as many others have said, currently 😁, the infrastructure is woeful for the amount on the roads now, so that is going to be a massive task in itself prior to 2030 with no easy answers.
I'm missing the word association and Jokes of the day threads though
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 21:43   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimarilo View Post
except a hybrid defeats to object ........by using more fuel per mile, not to mention the up front costs of buying such an effort and maintenance. More to go wrong imo

There is nothing as yet, that can replace fossil fuels as a means of energy ....fact !!

It is impossible to get to netzero and if we did, everything on earth would die....fact !!
a hybrid volvo will be noticeably more economical than the diesel engine only version..
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 13:00   #25
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
a hybrid volvo will be noticeably more economical than the diesel engine only version..
Yes. 72mpg average over the last year for me, compared with probably 45mpg for a D5 with Polestar upgrade and no battery. Not bad for a heavy estate with on demand AWD?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 13:43   #26
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
Yes. 72mpg average over the last year for me, compared with probably 45mpg for a D5 with Polestar upgrade and no battery. Not bad for a heavy estate with on demand AWD?
Is that with or without additional electric charging? and any idea how much if it's with?

I'm not 'challenging' your mpg, actually interested in how the sums work out on a hybrid.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 14:06   #27
Existential Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
I'm a confirmed petrol head. I like the sound of a tuned engine, its intake noise and its balanced exhaust. I prefer normally aspirated engines and enjoy variable valve timing. There is no Tesla that I would rather have than any of the vtec Hondas I've owned. (Except maybe the Semi Truck.)

One day, though, this will change. A petrol or diesel alternative, along with the necessary infrastructure, will be ready for me just as I am ready for it.
For my daily commute I'd love an electric car that would be heated or cooled to perfection on my entry and could waft me with minimum input from me to my destination. Sounds serene
Existential Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 14:25   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Is that with or without additional electric charging? and any idea how much if it's with?

I'm not 'challenging' your mpg, actually interested in how the sums work out on a hybrid.
Kevin McCloud had a D6 when they came out, he was getting over 120 mpg as it suited his journeys perfectly .
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 15:41   #29
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:

The V60 is a plug in rather than a self charger, so my average has included overnight charging at home, and using the 20-25m range that gives me. The trip computer works it out, and I'm sure you could debate the mpg accuracy versus the actual, just like you could with a regular diesel or petrol.

What I can say (like Clan cited) is that it you do lots of trips in the (say) 5-40 mile range, you end up with a massive range extender.

My previous Audi diesel had a big tank and would do 650-700 miles. The V60 has a small tank but I did one ridiculous tank full at over 130mpg (brim to brim) over a few weeks when I wasn't working but doing lots of short trips, building up a big mileage.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 19:08   #30
Existential Crisis

One of my colleagues has a plug in hybrid Kia and only puts fuel in it when he goes away longer journeys it sits with a full tank of fuel from week to week as his commute is about 16 Mike's total 5 days a week.
Existential Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote