Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Discs, Pads and Shoes Replacement - Guide

Views : 40135

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 23:00   #11
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
Bestgear - love the picture posts, but cant believe the state of your discs before replacement - had you not used the car for weeks?
Yip - car had been sitting for two weeks doing nothing after being washed (discs left wet, obviously)!

David
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 23:02   #12
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb View Post
OK folks, I have the discs (thanks to that nice Volvo dealer in Swansea), I have painted them so they don't corrode too badly.

Tomorrow looks like nice weather....so keep me covered I am going in!

More updates to follow.
HAVE FUN... you will have it done in no time...

David
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 19:34   #13
chb
Master Member

Wink

All done! PHEW. The pads and discs were easy.

Comments for those trying it themselves:

I found that I couldn't get my 7mm hex socket in to remove the caliper from the bracket. My ratchet would not fit because all the suspension components got in the way.
To get round this I unbolted the caliper and the caliper bracket as an entire unit, I then pulled this away from the disc so it was fully mobile (making sure I didn't stress the brake hose) and then removed the 7mm hex slide caliper pins/polts.

The discs on my car needed a bit of a clout to get them off but nothing excessive.

Now the hard bit! Christ on a bike, whoever invented brake shoe set up on XC90's clearly also designed that box in HellRaiser.

Bestgear is right when he says that the springs probably will not need replacing, I bought a set of the retaining springs for mine, but the old ones were fine. Getting the retaining springs out is an exercise in patience. I found it bet to use a pair of needle nose pliers to compress the whole spring, but even then it needs fiendish manipulation (not force!) to remove them.

The small tensioner spring on the shoes is easy to remove. However the main shoe return spring ( the longsest of the helical springs) is a real sod to fit. I wrestled with it for 10 minutes a side to get the shoes into a position where I could get the spring to stretch engough to locate it.

The brake shoes were shocking! One had completely lost its lining, and two were delaminating. Moral here is if you are working on the brakes, then change the shoes too!

One bit of good news. My car has the manual adjuster. After using a flatbladed screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the circlip I could turn the collar/sleave by hand. It needs a bit of strength (by soft office boy standards!) , but it is better than using pliers to turn.

I was dreading needing to make a bestgear type tool/pliers to re-tension the cable. I found it very easy to do this by hand. The cable is on a ratchet mechanism, so I just pulled it out several clicks. SO I NEEDED NO TOOLS FOR THIS BIT. Maybe once the brakes bed in I might be proved wrong.

Handbrake is now much better and the car is now ready for MOT!

Last edited by chb; Oct 9th, 2010 at 19:37.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 20:02   #14
400-ascona
Premier Member

I would always be tempted to buy the little curly springs that retain the hand brake shoes. Its common for them to have lost their tension. I didn't when I did my brakes, and had to make a thick shim to tension them back up again. According to the dealer its common.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 00:57   #15
syko

made me laugh looking at the rear handbrake shoes like mine were when i changed them last week, u will notice the flat spot on the shoes, from when people drive off with the handbrake still on
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:30   #16
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko View Post
, u will notice the flat spot on the shoes, from when people drive off with the handbrake still on

I am not sure that is with folks driving off - I think they are made that way... every one I have seen has them...

David
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 13:00   #17
chb
Master Member

Smile

Yes, the shoes have a flatspot on them when new. I assumed the other poster was jesting.
Handbrake now bedded in quite well, will hold the car on the steep hill outside my house. I also replaced the pedal rubber on the footbrake. £8.59 well spent to get the car looking fresh again.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:36   #18
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Fitted the rear bearings discs,shoes and pads, front discs n pads, painted the calipers and fitted mudguards this weekend.... saved over a grand from the dealers list prices and used all genuine volvo parts.

From the experience I'd say that it's worth getting the little one inch springs that locate in the guard as they bend easily and need retensioning.They are also a real sod to resite when they have been damaged. In my case there was so much rust on the inner surface of the disc that the shoes had wedged themselves solid in there. After much persuasion using the trusty lump hammer the disc came off but stretched those little springs in the process. The long retainer springs are fine to reuse but in my case weren't as hard to resite as those little springs.

Interestingly volvo had advised me that the shoes always need replacing when doing the discs because the shoes delaminate or break up. In my case the shoes were like new but i changed them anyway as I had already bought the new ones. In retrospect I'd have been better off buying the tensioner springs and keeping the old shoes as the don't wear a great deal due to the design of the system.

Agree that whoever invented the handbrake mechanism must have been heavily into S&M !!! As for the flat spot on the shoes that is there from new and is part of the design so NOT from driving off with the brake on!

I just used a 7mm hex key and a spanner hooked over the end for leverage to remove the caliper.

Thankfully I didn't need to adjust the cable although I did expose the mechanism just in case. Unfortunately my seat won't go back far enough to get easy access to the mechanism so have most of you removed the seat to get better access to it? I don't see how you can do it otherwise, as you'd have to have mouse hands to get in there!

I will post up some pics of the calipers later if I can get them off my dead phone!
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:58   #19
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Unfortunately my seat won't go back far enough to get easy access to the mechanism so have most of you removed the seat to get better access to it? I don't see how you can do it otherwise, as you'd have to have mouse hands to get in there!
Access for me was tight, but the seat full back and up let me in ok.

Now, with all that money saved, what other toys will you buy?!?!?

David

PS - dont forget the pictures...
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 11:33   #20
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Hmm not the best pics but here you go....
With the money I saved I'd like to get an RSE but one with the dvd players within the headrest and a HDD linkup... Has anyone had the ebay ones fitted with the zip covers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0332 (Large).JPG (111.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0333 (Large).JPG (105.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0334 (Large).JPG (115.2 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0335 (Large).JPG (124.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0047.jpg (285.4 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by bobdabuilda; Oct 11th, 2010 at 11:49. Reason: extra photo
The Following User Says Thank You to bobdabuilda For This Useful Post: