Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm Siren Alternatives or Bodges? V70 P2

Views : 643

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:15   #1
Green440wedge

Default Alarm Siren Alternatives or Bodges? V70 P2

The view on the forum section relevant to the V70 P2 is that there are only four options when the siren circuit board corrodes due to an internal battery acid leak:

1. Replace the siren with a new one (about £180)
2. Disconnect/remove the siren and have a Volvo dealership connect their computer equipment to the car to uninstall the vehicle alarm on its "system".
3. Buy second hand sirens and cut them open to establish the condition of the circuit board, fit a new battery. Some indicate this is a time consuming exercise and often second hand sirens are also broken.
4. Remove the siren and live with the "alarm system service required" message

My question is this: surely at least one Volvo enthusiast is also an electronics guru and either knows how to configure a cheap alternative siren to work on the Volvo or how to fix some wiring and a few Maplin Electronics components to connect to the siren plug to confuse the car into thinking the siren is still functioning.

If there is such a Volvo enthusiast electronics expert out there, please could you provide an alternative solution to buying a new siren for probably 1/5 value of the car itself!!

The siren must be common to the S60/S80/V70 and probably a load more models, it is a Bosch unit.

Thanks in advance for any well informed comments!
Green440wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 19:47   #2
Waynedance

I replaced my siren think it was about £100.

I believe the same siren was fitted to cars like Ford etc.

I opened up my old one and yes the batteries had leaked and destroyed the circuit board.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 19:53   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The Volvo siren board has a microcontroller fitted, with firmware, and serial bus communications

It is not a simple siren driven by 12V and a relay!

You can replace the battery
You can replace the siren horn itself
But you cannot replace the micro controller and the sophisticated electronics.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 21:08   #4
phil1968
Master Member

I cut the one open on my C70 & the battery hadn't leaked, it was just the battery was duff (they have a life of 8-10 years). So I replaced the battery (available on Ebay), glued the case back together & all was good again. So I'd say it's first worth carefully cutting the case open to see how the land lies; it really isn't a pain to do

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 22:44   #5
reggit
Premier Member

No real way around it as far as I know.

I’m lucky in that my 15 year old alarm is still working properly. I’ve got a working spare with the battery removed for when it’s needed.

My advise if replacing with a used unit is (assuming it works), pull the battery out and fit a fly lead to the siren and mount the battery under the bonnet. Prevents any future leakage damaging anything.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 20:20   #6
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

I stripped the siren on my x90 and the battery was jiggered, but hadn't leaked , so I replaced the battery and it still doesn't work ! I'll be trying a second hand unit next
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 20:40   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green440wedge View Post
The siren must be common to the S60/S80/V70 and probably a load more models, it is a Bosch unit.
The siren was introduced pre Ford involvement so I'm pretty sure it's Volvo only and more specifically P2 Volvo so S80 S60 V70 and XC90.

It's also not available from Bosch under their own brand as an aftermarket equivalent unlike many other Bosch parts.